welding question - must all welds be watertight?

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
Obviously if you weld on a tank, it will need to be able to hold liquid - but what about other non-tank welds?

This probably isn't important, but here goes: I welded a large coped bung, vertically (sticking up) to the backbone of my frame to use as a rear tank mount. Did the welds once, ground 'em down to see how decent the welds were, deep inside. Some parts were unacceptable, I could see they didn't penetrate, but were just surface blobs of weld.

So I redid much of it yesterday. These welds are much better, but I know that these welds have some kind of little fissures or non watertight areas. The reason I know is I squirted some oil into the threaded hole in the bung to make it easier to screw the tank on. Just to lube the threads. But when I came outside later again and looked at it, I could see that oil had dribbled out from a couple of places around the base of the bung, where I'd welded.
I'm confident now that the bung is very firmly attached and this time I have good penetration. But! obviously my welds were not so good that that oil didn't seep out.

Would that bother you enough to re-do it some more?
:confused:
thanks!

If you have confidence in the connection, no, don't worry about it. Look at it this way, if moisture were to get in there, it has a route to get out.

Back