Welding types

MIG and TIG are just different disciplines. Neither is inherently better than the other. To answer your question, yes, you totally can. People get huge boners for TIG because it will ultimately create a cleaner/nicer looking weld. However, you can make really nice welds with a MIG torch.

TIG is better for thin aluminum.

TIG is cleaner and used for food grade stuff.

Etc.

However, for a damn motorcycle hard tail, MIG is great! How do you think Yamaha welded together your frame in the 70s? Definitely not TIG, it wasn't even invented yet.

lol...experts!!...TIG has been around since the late 30's early 40's......

if anything...I don't know (cause I ain't no expert, just a dumb ol collision repair tech)...but I would guess a old frame is gas welded.

brazing isn't welding...fyi.....I would not trust my life on 2 tubes brazed together.

you can always tell by the answer,if it was by a expert or a internet keyboard king...:laugh::wink2:

yes and no....they were sweated (with brass) into a casting, like a/some bicycle frame and ol HD's...not tube to tube!!

lol...experts!!...TIG has been around since the late 30's early 40's......

lol...whoopsies! Just read up on the history of GTAW, it appears I was wrong. Fact remains that the stock frames were NOT TIG welded, and you do NOT need to TIG a hardtail for it to be done "properly" or "safe" or whatever.

And, just to be clear, I do not claim to be an expert. I don't even have a welder (although I'm getting a Diversion 165 this week, can't wait), I've just read a lot about it.

Cheerio,
Adam

Back