Welding?

Hairic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so I think I know the answer to what im about to ask, But Im hoping that I will get what I want to hear... I am wondering bout what types of welds to do or welders to use on the frame, I had originally taken my frame to get the hard tail welded by my machine shop but now they cant get to it for a few weeks, So Im wondering since I can weld mig like a boss and tig not so boss like can I, Or should I rather be able to weld the hardtail on with my mig. Just wondering who has done it if anyone. Let me know cause im getting impatient. Thanks

I have done 5 xs's with t.c.b hardtails 1 ls650 custom hardtail and have mig welded every one of them( I don't have a tig yet) I'm bilding a bike for the bild off and I going to mig it I know of a guy the stick welded one(he's a better stick welder than me!!!
I havn't sticked in over 20 years) what I'm tri'n to say is that any good welder can do the job. Tig is best and looks better if done right but a good stick weld is still better than a bad tig weld. Mig is a very good type of welding if done right.

And that was the answer I was hoping to get, I realize tig looks far superior but other than that I dont know much about it, I have one (well my buddy with nowhere to put it has one)and I have been practicing my ass off and im decent but I feel like you said a good mig weld is better than a bad tig weld.

If you can weld, then why are you even questioning? Whether it is with a mig gun, a stick, a tig torch, or even a gas torch, welding the tail on your frame can do done. It sound's like you are questioning your own abilities. That is something no one here can answer.

Haha... Well iowa I actually was wondering if it would get frowned upon if i did so, Didnt want to post pics and people start laughing that I Miged it. So I dont doubt my mig abilities but my tig... well lets not talk about that.

I have done a few of them and have mig'd all. Never any failures from frames to back halfing frames in cars. Mig is just fine in most cases, tig has just got the reputation that it has to be that way. Fire that 220 machine up and let it eat.

mig is fine, most welding procedures will work when done right. the biggest issue is to put the tail on straight. even a great welder will need to be very aware of the proper dimensions of the frame once attached. jig???

I dont have a jig atm, Thats somthing that has been in my mind is how to jig it up properly to get it straight and keep it straight, seeing how I got it already cut I will have to measure everything and make sure its ok, I think I can do it....

+1 on having the engine in. Measure, measure again, again, then cut and weld.

MIG is fine for this type of work. TIG is more precise and for me delivers a better looking weld. However a properly set up MIG will do just as fine a job.

Practice your skills on similar scrap steel before tackling the frame though just to make sure settings are right.

Yup got the motor in and bottled, Im using a david bird kit, but when I bought it they had cut the frame to do away with the triangle block look on the bottom, And I am fine with that cause I dont like the look of that, So im gonna weld in plugs slip it in measure everywich way I can and tack, remeasure, sleep on it remeasure again pray then weld. And yeah I will make sure and do some practice runs before I weld it.

Very Old Thread: Seems a good place to pop in my question. Before welding the frame do I need to totally remove the electronic ignition or does it just need to be disconnected from the harness i.e. unplugged?

Thank you.

Disconnected should be good enough. But if it's easy to remove there's no way welding could hurt it. Most problems caused by welding is from the welder ground not being correctly connected.

In my past life when we welded anything to a vehicle we always disconnected the battery completely (both terminals). Never had an issue or problem. Just lose the memory in the ecu which is sometimes a pita on some cars / trucks. To be 100% sure disconnect and or remove as stated above.

Back