Welding?

Agreed with Gary. As a welder by trade, while welding on any machine at work you should always turn the master switch off before welding. Also grounding as close to what you’re welding helps also removing paint, any kind of oxidation or scale.

I can, on a good day I can do a passable weld with my torch. I have added tabs and such but never anything major.
If welding on a hard tail you want to have the engine installed in the frame. This holds the frame in place while welding. i have read that when done with out the engine, once done welding they couldn't install the engine.
Leo

Can you take a picture of the components placed together before you weld it? I'm curious to see how you line it up and secure it all so it is straight as i was thinking of doing this and could use some ideas. Cheers :)

One of the reasons people favour tig for structural welds is temp control, mig doesn’t give you that level of control, mig welds tend get somewhat hotter and be harder once cool, so can be less tough, ie brittle, tempering post weld with a flame and tempilaq or temp crayons at about 650C will result in a more ductile joint, likewise pre heating the area around the weld with a flame can also help as the weld doesn’t cool as quickly, so won’t end up as hard, I don’t know what measures Yamaha took to temper and or stress relieve their frames when they were made, but they do seem quite tough, don’t hear of many failures.

Back