Well I did it. I drug home that 73 750 Twin you guy's told me not to buy.

Weekend Rider I do not know the actual # range in Canada the 73 was a TX750 and the74 was a TX750A .The 73 models where the colour in your picture and the 74s where darker brown with a dual disc brake setup.The mod kit for the 73s also included a deeper oil sump which was std on the 74s. This stopped the oil from foaming and allowed the scavenge side of the oil pump to return oil rather than foam bock to the tank.The rear balancer shaft is the one used to adjust the chain. It is on the lower left side of the engine.I woul suggest you try to find an older Yamaha dealer who is sympathetic towards ..older bikes to get advice.Yamaha parts nation still has parts diagrams on their site even though it is pretty well all discontinued.

Donald. If I have the oil sump extension, does that mean I automatically have all of the mod's. I'm sure my bike was a one owner since I now have the original title that was issued in April of 74. So I don't think anyone added it later in the year's.

Is this the extended sump. What all is included in the mod package.
full

Well that was awful nice of Honda to fix the problem for Yamaha. :laugh:

Nothing is for sale at this point in time. Hey. I gotta put some more money in it before I let the next guy have it. :D

My mistake :doh: I've got 2 cb750's I'm tearing into, so thats always on my mind, TX's are cool just because you don't see them often. If you get her running and keep it maintained there are parts out there for them, it will always have value because of the short production run.

Sounds like a nice ride. You got a lot of work in that one.

BTW....My XS2 doesn't strike you as a "REAL" Yamaha Twin. :wtf:

So if you read my last post,,,,I'd have to say you're out out the tank. You wouldn't get it for $50 anyway. Time will tell. :shrug: There's at least 1 nice one on ebay right now. Good luck.

Well of course the XS-2 is a real YamaTwin, but the TX, well not so much IMHO.

It worked out great. Weekend Rider offered me a deal I could not refuse on a TX tank he has taking up space (he is a PRINCE!!). I've had cosmetic plans for a TX tank for quite a while and I'll keep you all posted on how it comes out (which may be just another of my schemes that looked better in my mind than in my garage!!) hmmm there's a segue....

The TX resto is a quite a challenge and I wish this fellow all the luck in the world.

Donald. If I have the oil sump extension, does that mean I automatically have all of the mod's. I'm sure my bike was a one owner since I now have the original title that was issued in April of 74. So I don't think anyone added it later in the year's.

Is this the extended sump. What all is included in the mod package.
full

Yes that is the sump extension.Does the searial # on the engine match the # on the frame they were the same when new.If they are different then you know someone has switched engines.In Canada the frame # is considerd the seaial # so here the ownership should show the frame #.Not all manufactures match the #s.I doubt that someone would put the sump extension on without installing the complete kit but i know there where some unscrupulus dealers who played games with warranty problems.
The kit consisted of a new adjustable rear balancershaft,the sump extension,and all necessary gaskets and seals+parts to fix the oil leak at the ign point shaft.In some cases if the engine had seized they would supply a complete new engine stamped with the #s from the original.To the best of my knowledge all 74 production where updated before they left the factory.I left the yamaha shop i was working at in oct of 73 to work at the local kawi dealer so I did not personally install any of the kits as they did not become available to dealers untill later in the year.My 73 was done at my old shop and then I sold it to a friend of mine.He rode it for a few years and then sold it to his brother who then moved to BC.He had it for about 10 years and over 60000 trouble free miles.Knowing what I know now I wish I had It back.They had far more torque than a 750 Honda and handled better on a twisty road

Yes that is the sump extension.Does the searial # on the engine match the # on the frame they were the same when new.If they are different then you know someone has switched engines.In Canada the frame # is considerd the seaial # so here the ownership should show the frame #.Not all manufactures match the #s.I doubt that someone would put the sump extension on without installing the complete kit but i know there where some unscrupulus dealers who played games with warranty problems.
The kit consisted of a new adjustable rear balancershaft,the sump extension,and all necessary gaskets and seals+parts to fix the oil leak at the ign point shaft.In some cases if the engine had seized they would supply a complete new engine stamped with the #s from the original.To the best of my knowledge all 74 production where updated before they left the factory.I left the yamaha shop i was working at in oct of 73 to work at the local kawi dealer so I did not personally install any of the kits as they did not become available to dealers untill later in the year.My 73 was done at my old shop and then I sold it to a friend of mine.He rode it for a few years and then sold it to his brother who then moved to BC.He had it for about 10 years and over 60000 trouble free miles.Knowing what I know now I wish I had It back.They had far more torque than a 750 Honda and handled better on a twisty road

Were they heck is the serial number anywhere. I can't see one anywhere.

Frame # is on headstock behind headlight .Engine # willbe on top half of center crankcase

I still have the sticker on the frame. But I now have the motor out, and still can't find the vin. Doesn't really matter. I think the motor is junk. :banghead:

I think this might be a replacement motor that was never stamped.

I still have the sticker on the frame. But I now have the motor out, and still can't find the vin. Doesn't really matter. I think the motor is junk. :banghead:

I think this might be a replacement motor that was never stamped.

Think of it as an opportunity to be creative. You have most of a titled motorcycle with almost no money in it, so maybe you can do some measurments and find a motor from another motorcycle that you can shoe-horn in there. By "another" I mean a something other than a TX750. It might be fun to do a Nippo "NorVin" kinda thing.

Maybe a 500 Titan motor if you can find one. Solid, simple, short, light, unusual, probably cheap.

I think that would be pretty cool.

Think of it as an opportunity to be creative. You have most of a titled motorcycle with almost no money in it, so maybe you can do some measurments and find a motor from another motorcycle that you can shoe-horn in there. By "another" I mean a something other than a TX750. It might be fun to do a Nippo "NorVin" kinda thing.

Maybe a 500 Titan motor if you can find one. Solid, simple, short, light, unusual, probably cheap.

I think that would be pretty cool.

Well it's too late now. I've all ready got another motor in there,,,that I got for free. I fired it up last night. :D

I temporarily strapped a bobber tank on it, and threw my 650 carbs on there. I played around with a no spark issue for 2 day's. Then I cleaned the point's a second time,,,this time spraying them clean after sanding them. That bitch started on the first kick. :bike:

Now I have the tank soaking with vinegar, and the carbs soaking in Pinesol. :D

Well it's too late now. I've all ready got another motor in there,,,that I got for free. I fired it up last night. :D

I temporarily strapped a bobber tank on it, and threw my 650 carbs on there. I played around with a no spark issue for 2 day's. Then I cleaned the point's a second time,,,this time spraying them clean after sanding them. That bitch started on the first kick. :bike:

Now I have the tank soaking with vinegar, and the carbs soaking in Pinesol. :D

When you're hot you're hot! 40 dollars for the basic bike (with title!) and a runnning motor for the cost of cleaning fluids!!

Surely this is Sign that this motorcycle is Meant for Ressurection!

When you're hot you're hot! 40 dollars for the basic bike (with title!) and a runnning motor for the cost of cleaning fluids!!

Surely this is Sign that this motorcycle is Meant for Ressurection!

After a lot of driving to get the bike, then the motor,,and then what all I have in cleaning supplies,,,,I got about $125 in it. :D I better not brag though,,,cause Mr Murphy is surely waiting in the wing's.

I only ran it for about 5 min. I put my hand on the head a revved it up. SMOOOTH!! I couldn't even feel it running.

Now I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to sell it or not. I really would like to keep it, but everybody and their brother is telling me to get rid of it and put the money from it in my XS2. I'll even have and extra upgraded motor that I can sell, or keep. It will just need the head looked at. Maybe. Oh well. Decision's,,decision's.

After a lot of driving to get the bike, then the motor,,and then what all I have in cleaning supplies,,,,I got about $125 in it. :D I better not brag though,,,cause Mr Murphy is surely waiting in the wing's.

I only ran it for about 5 min. I put my hand on the head a revved it up. SMOOOTH!! I couldn't even feel it running.

Now I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to sell it or not. I really would like to keep it, but everybody and their brother is telling me to get rid of it and put the money from it in my XS2. I'll even have and extra upgraded motor that I can sell, or keep. It will just need the head looked at. Maybe. Oh well. Decision's,,decision's.

You'll have a better idea of what to do with it after you've ridden it a bit and learned what it will fetch.

My friend who has one (who is a VERY picky guy about his motorcycles) never could his geared where he liked it. Depending on the sprocket choice it was either difficult to get rolling from a dead stop or not geared high enough to cruise in a sweet spot at the speed he likes. But, who knows, it might suit you just fine.

If that rack on the back will fit my 80' heritage xs then I will give you your 40 bucks back.

I got to kinda doubt that it will fit. But I don't know. Besides. I'm going to hang onto everything until I know for sure what I'm doing with it. That rack was part of a dealer option package. I have all but the oil cooler and dual front brakes.

full

KEEP IT!
You'd be mad not to, at the end of the day its a very rare bike and will without doubt go up in value :thumbsup:
I would love one, just to be different than the rest! I must admit I enjoy the attention my bike gets at fuel stops etc. with so many 'old timers' saying the "I used to really want one of them" lines.
But with the 750, 99% of folks will be saying "what the #### is that?" :eek:

Then look at how much it owes you.....no brainer! :bike:

I have always felt that this is a handsome motorcycle (though the sissy-bar back rest is a horrible wart that destroys its classic lines ). And I think that you are the rare "perfect" buyer for one since you have put almost no money into it and you have the skills to turn it into a marketable runner. That is the key - don't put any more money into it than you possible must to get it clean and running.

You have the rare opportunity to possibly MAKE money on a motorcycle rescue mission.

I, of course, disagree with the proposition that you would be a fool to sell it - rather I take the opposit position that you would be a fool to turn down a decent offer.

But I've got an easy 6 grand in a bike I probably couldn't get 3 and half for, so "glass houses" and all that.

Enoy the project.

Most times when someone is giving advice it is pointed towards the outcome they want.
If it is about cost per mile you won't ever do any better than what ya got.
It isn't hard to work $125 into pennies per mile. At 1K miles it has cost you $.125.
Tweleve and a half cents per mile @ 1000 miles. 6 cents at 2 thousand. 3 cents at 3K.
Pretty soon it almost paying you to ride it.

If it is about looks, while not a 10 point restore, it appears the tins, chrome etc.
will be nice enough it isn't a rat bike. But a very respectable representation of the vintage motorcycle. At least ride it before you make up your mind.

As a sidebar, the same everybodys cousin told you it was a waste of money to go get it.
As an answer all you have to do is start it and smile. Nuff said for their input.

I have always felt that this is a handsome motorcycle (though the sissy-bar back rest is a horrible wart that destroys its classic lines ). And I think that you are the rare "perfect" buyer for one since you have put almost no money into it and you have the skills to turn it into a marketable runner. That is the key - don't put any more money into it than you possible must to get it clean and running.

You have the rare opportunity to possibly MAKE money on a motorcycle rescue mission.

I, of course, disagree with the proposition that you would be a fool to sell it - rather I take the opposit position that you would be a fool to turn down a decent offer.

But I've got an easy 6 grand in a bike I probably couldn't get 3 and half for, so "glass houses" and all that.

Enoy the project.

Well, here's the funny thing. I've never been the type that could make a dime towards supporting my hobbies. Whether it be bikes, cars, guns,,,,or any thing else. I get attached to things. I like to buy all the NOS parts that I can. I've got my XS2 tore apart to the bare frame, and have a small fortune in NOS parts for it.

My kid on the other hand can make a living off of craigslist. Buying and flipping. He was actually shocked that I got this bike for $40. He said he would have traded the guy the shot gun. But. He thinks any running bike is worth $1000. We were hoping to get the motor broke loose though. Which we did, but it has that head issue.

Like I said before. The whole idea of this was to make a few dollar's on parts for my XS2. I told him I was going to put this whole project in his hands so I can make money. The bad thing is,,,I'm all ready attached,,,lol. I think this would be a super neat bike to keep. Ultimately,,it's my decision. But I know he'll be super pissed if I keep it. :laugh:

Just for grins,,,here's the bobber that he is building. The first pic with the sawzall is me cutting. He got mad at me there. I went a little deep and cut into the frame. :laugh:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22134

I'd be a bit more concerned with the removal of all the bracing around the steering neck. I kinda think Yamaha put that there for a reason, lol.

Back