Well I did it. I drug home that 73 750 Twin you guy's told me not to buy.

BWHAHAHA
I'd worry about you if you didn't at that price.
How's the tank coming?

It turned out pretty clean. But I cheaped out and used vinegar instead of evaporust. I got a bit of flash rust. I may end up doing it again. I'm going to run some clear filters and see what I'm getting.

The petcock's are another story. They were completely caked with sediment. Again I went cheap with Pinesol. I should have just used a dip.

On a positive note. My kid gave up on trying to make me sell it. I can't really figure out why. We argued all day about it, then he came over and said I should keep it. He's the one that showed me that one in the link. But it was only up to $3500. We both said it wouldn't go for the $7000 buy it now. The only thing I can figure is he thinks mine will be worth a lot some day, and he's thinking he's going to get it when I die,,,lol. :laugh:

Actually he's being really gun ho and helping me a lot. I told him that I thought one of you guys on the board must have sent him a PM threatening him bodily harm if he didn't lighten up on the Ol Man. :D

Boil the petcocks in vinegar. That will get all the crud out.

I have also recently picked up one, a '74, but not for as much of a bargain price. Thank goodness for the internet for finding information/parts/etc. I found this page that provides a good TX750 history: http://tinyurl.com/9euyxjs The TX750 forum site linked to previously is good, although now dormant. Mine is apart at the moment, but I hope to have it back together by the end of the week. I need to find a machine shop to do the valve guides and seats before putting the engine back together.

I have also recently picked up one, a '74, but not for as much of a bargain price. Thank goodness for the internet for finding information/parts/etc. I found this page that provides a good TX750 history: http://tinyurl.com/9euyxjs The TX750 forum site linked to previously is good, although now dormant. Mine is apart at the moment, but I hope to have it back together by the end of the week. I need to find a machine shop to do the valve guides and seats before putting the engine back together.

Does yours have the extended oil sump. And you know about the oil filter upgrade,,right. It's a must have.

Do you have dual disc front brakes.

Post up some pic's.

Last edited:
Mine has a single disc brake in front, the deep sump (which needs to be removed prior to removing the engine from the frame), and I believe the other "fixes" to the '73s that were needed after the model's introduction. The mufflers had been chopped, so that has been a challenge to find decent originals. I did opt for the aftermarket oil filter, even though it will require removing the chain when it's time to change it. Pics after it's back together.

I didn't read every post, but have you thought about mounting an XS motor in that thing ? There seems to be lots of XS650s out there with no title and you have a decent looking frame . The TX750s are hard to sell because they were a defective bike. I would not waste my time or money on a resto.

I didn't read every post, The TX750s are hard to sell because they were a defective bike. I would not waste my time or money on a resto.

If you had read all the posts and links you wouldn't have made this statement. Check out the link in the second post on this page. The bike sold for as much if not more than any XS

I never saw one go for anywhere near that around where I live . In fact, there is a nice resto-mod TX that has been for sale for at least 3 years for around $2000 and no takers.

How much do you think it would cost to restore Cals bike to that condition. And , don't forget, when you finish restoring a TX 750 you still have a bike that is prone to catastrophic mechanical failure.

don't forget, when you finish restoring a TX 750 you still have a bike that is prone to catastrophic mechanical failure.

That problem was solved............There is all lot of information you need to know about the TX750 in this thread, enough to stop people from making statements like yours. :shrug: Read the links. :banghead:

Last edited:
That problem was solved............There is all lot of information you need to know about the TX750 in this thread, enough to stop people from making statements like yours. :shrug: Read the links. :banghead:

Would you guy's stop putting the word out. You're driving the price of junky part's up,,,lol. :D

Just like anything. There's a lot of mis-information. Well, in this case this was a junk bike at first,,,,but. One thing in particular I'm talking about is the story about Yamaha driving around in a truck handing out motor's to all their dealers. FALSE. I talked to an old time dealer about these things. He laugh at me when I mentioned the free motor. He said they did not give away motors. They sent out replacement cases for an oil leak issue. Now THAT,,,I believe.

Fortunately for me, I believe my original motor has the replacement cases, along with ALL of the upgrades. I hope. :shrug: It just needs some head work. And I also have another running motor that I put in. Thanks weekendrider (DAN). :thumbsup:

It won't be long now before it's on the road. I can't wait to ride it. :bike:

Would you guy's stop putting the word out. You're driving the price of junky part's up,,,lol. :D

Just like anything. There's a lot of mis-information. Well, in this case this was a junk bike at first,,,,but. One thing in particular I'm talking about is the story about Yamaha driving around in a truck handing out motor's to all their dealers. FALSE. I talked to an old time dealer about these things. He laugh at me when I mentioned the free motor. He said they did not give away motors. They sent out replacement cases for an oil leak issue. Now THAT,,,I believe.

Fortunately for me, I believe my original motor has the replacement cases, along with ALL of the upgrades. I hope. :shrug: It just needs some head work. And I also have another running motor that I put in. Thanks weekendrider (DAN). :thumbsup:

It won't be long now before it's on the road. I can't wait to ride it. :bike:

I sold bikes at Yamaha of San Antonio when Yamma Momma introduced this model, and I know that the factory sent out kits not new motors.

I can't imagine this bike competing with (for example) an FJ1200 dollar for dollar, but I have too much money in my XS to throw rocks from glass house on that issue.

I sold bikes at Yamaha of San Antonio when Yamma Momma introduced this model, and I know that the factory sent out kits not new motors.

I can't imagine this bike competing with (for example) an FJ1200 dollar for dollar, but I have too much money in my XS to throw rocks from glass house on that issue.

Well you know what they say. Something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay. I think in the case of the $7,000 TX750,,, some rich guy had one when he was a kid, and at least recognized that this guy had basically a new motorcycle with OVER $7,000 in it. He could afford not to beat him down, and bought it. Everyone is happy. I personally wouldn't/couldn't pay that for one. But I would take $5,000 for mine,,,lol. :D

Well you know what they say. Something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay. I think in the case of the $7,000 TX750,,, some rich guy had one when he was a kid, and at least recognized that this guy had basically a new motorcycle with OVER $7,000 in it. He could afford not to beat him down, and bought it. Everyone is happy. I personally wouldn't/couldn't pay that for one. But I would take $5,000 for mine,,,lol. :D

I'm thinking, "if I won the lottery how much would I pay for a 1959 Sears Allstate (Puch) moped" (my first 2 wheeled motorized thingee) and my number is in three digits for sure.

I hope a nostallgic millonaire knocks on your door.

I'm thinking, "if I won the lottery how much would I pay for a 1959 Sears Allstate (Puch) moped" (my first 2 wheeled motorized thingee) and my number is in three digits for sure.

I hope a nostallgic millonaire knocks on your door.

Three digit's. Dam your cheap. :D

Thought I'd post up a couple of quick pic's.

Here's an action shot. :laugh:
full

Sometimes things look better with the lights down low. :wink2:
full

Back