Well I did it. I drug home that 73 750 Twin you guy's told me not to buy.

It is looking nice. Those the original fenders or replacements?
Have you heard those pipes yet? Bet they are LOUD!
Get it running before it gets too cold and I'll try to make it up for a ride some weekend.

Looks good for a $40 barn animal . I guess I never got over the bad reputation that those bikes had . I do like how they look , but I still think it would look better /run better with an XS motor in it .

It is looking nice. Those the original fenders or replacements?
Have you heard those pipes yet? Bet they are LOUD!
Get it running before it gets too cold and I'll try to make it up for a ride some weekend.

Those are the fenders and pipes that I got from you. Thanks again. :thumbsup: Between the 2 bike's, I think I'm going to end up with a pretty decent looking machine for damn near free. :D I striped it down to get rid of all the rusty parts. My handle bars were trash, so I put some Superbike bars on there that I all ready had. It makes it look bad ass. I even drilled holes in them and ran the wires inside like the originals like you like. Turned out nice, and wasn't that hard to do. Now I hate to put the gauges back on. They look huge.

As far as the pipes go, I haven't heard them yet. I forgot to put the clutch perch on before I put the switch on. Now the switch has to come back off,,,meaning pull the wires back out of the bars. That's the tough part. I think Sunday will be it's Maiden voyage,,,hopefully. The right side run/off switch is broke. It's in the "run" position. But it's kinda loose. So as long as it's making good contact, I'll be all right. If not, I'll have to see if I can find a way to tie those 2 wire's together until I can get a switch.

I've got an old switch housing with the on/off in it.
If you don't come up with something pm me and I'll take some measurements to see if it will swap.

Well I rode that bitch!! :D I went about 50 mile's. Froze my ass off. But I was smilin the whole time. :D I'm very please with it. And yes Dan,,those pipe's are LOUD!!. But I really like the sound of it. The damn thing thinks it's a Harley. Loud and proud,,,and leakin oil all over. :laugh:

The motor is really loud. I think that the balancer chain is messed up. I'll probably put the original back in after I get the head worked on.

Last edited:
BWHAHAHAHA sounds like a GREAT ride. It is looking real nice too.
Good luck on getting the parts mixed and matched. Did you get a chance to check compression? Maybe swap the jugs with pistons in place and head to the old bottom end?

Well I dug this up old thread up to find a pic for a guy. So I thought I'd give a little update. I know I had a couple of sympathizer's for me out there. :laugh:

I gotta tell you guy's. I just love this bike. I haven't done much to it except chase my tail all over trying to get rid of a pop in the exhaust. I've come to the conclusion that it's the cut off pipe's. And I'm giving up on it. :shrug: I'll try again later if I ever put the original motor back in it. I'll just have to live with it for now.

So anyway. I did a starter clutch mod that a guy named Argo came up with. I did a little tutorial for the install. It's an interesting read if anyone cares to take the time to read it. :D

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908967

I saw your pic in the other thread and thought damn that bike looks pretty cool. Sanity prevailed and I will never own another. But good on you for sticking with it!

New twin alert - KZ750. This is the XS650 we always wanted I think. Single points set-up from the factory (that means it works - not like the MikesXS snafu), needle bearing swingarm from '78, shim valve adjusters (hardly ever need it). I'm getting one some day.

KZ750 twin, Have you SEEN one? Or checked the weight? LOL yet another twin with a deservedly short life span.

New twin alert - KZ750. This is the XS650 we always wanted I think. Single points set-up from the factory (that means it works - not like the MikesXS snafu), needle bearing swingarm from '78, shim valve adjusters (hardly ever need it). I'm getting one some day.

Hey now. I know a guy,,, who knows a guy,,, who's Grampa has one sitting in a barn. I think I can get it for $50. Think I should buy it. :D

I distinctly recall that shortly after they stopped making these, some outfit was selling a do-it-yourself chopper kit, and the engine with the kit was the TX750. I think they purchased all the leftovers from Yamaha. The kit was advertised in all the chopper rags back then.

Last edited:
I know where one is, but the guy wont sell it. major electrical problems he cant figure out, unfortunately, he wont let it go, he knows what it is.

Imagine how that review would look if Yamaha had elected to up the XS650 to 750, with a head/cam package to match, and rephased, on a trim mid-70s standard, at 65 hp?

But wait. You can do that now!

Back