1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

WELSH FLAT TRACK REVIVAL

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Adamc, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Raymond

Raymond XS650 rider & fettler XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

If it's a custom wheel, it might still be worth checking what sprockets are available?

If that's a Talon hub or suchlike, there's probably a wide range of sprockets.

Mailman, Adamc and Jim like this.
  2. Adamc

Adamc XS650 MEDDLER XS650.com Supporter

Wales
    Thanks 5T. You are correct the wheels are custom (Like most of the bike except frame and motor) Husqvarna hubs and alloy rims. I just need to find a suitable sprocket combo that will deliver ‘normal’ road riding abilities; as Raymond describes.

Raymond likes this.
  3. Adamc

Wales
    Yes you are correct Marty. And if I were just a town rider I could live with it and terrorise the biking ‘You’ff’ of today. (That’s ‘youth’ if you are not down with the kids speech). That’s ‘so sick’ it’s real.

Mailman and jetmechmarty like this.
  4. Adamc

Wales
    Apparently ‘sick’ means good. And so does ‘Peng’ here in Blighty.

jetmechmarty likes this.
  5. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Yes, finding a small enough rear sprocket can be a problem when using rear wheels from other bikes. The 650 runs rather small diameter rear sprockets with a tooth count in the low 30's. Most other bikes use sprockets in the 40's.

Adamc and Raymond like this.
  6. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Not knowing the PO's abilities, I'd suggest checking the alignment between the front and rear sprocket to make sure he shimmed the wheel correctly.
    Would save the aggravation of premature wear on new sprockets and chains down the road.

Raymond, Mailman and Adamc like this.
  7. Adamc

Wales
    Thanks for the tip Jim.
    I did run some straight lines down the drive chain alignment. All seems good.
    For me that is a normal check. I run old school triple front rings to multi rear cogs on my bicycles, and with thin chains it’s essential to have good alignment.

Jim likes this.
  8. 5twins

As mentioned, eliminate the Reserve Lighting Unit, it's not needed. But it will require a jumper wire in it's place, details are here .....

http://www.excess650.co.uk/tips & tricks.htm

Looks like the P.O. hacked yours up anyway, cutting the mount tabs off (and on the starter safety relay too). Are those two components just laying loose under the seat? I guess the guy did make it pretty on the outside, not so much in the hidden areas, lol.

Adamc likes this.
  9. Adamc

Wales
    Lighting Tip From 5T

Hi 5T not sure this is on the right thread?
    But helpful anyway,I will do that today and post in 'What Have You Done...." thread. :hump:

10. Adamc

Wales
    Sorry 5T I think you were picking up from Raymond a #41 post.

Raymond likes this.
  11. Adamc

Wales

REAR-SET BACKS

REAR SETS:

As mentioned earlier in post #48 & #56 the rear-sets were and are still giving me teething issues. Gear selection was a problem that needed some sorting.

After limping back to the Bat Cave I dismantled the left hand rear-set and investigated the problems. A steel 4mm bolt had stripped out the threads in the alloy actuating arm; it was probably strong enough for a modern day race bike with a slick gearbox, but not man enough for the agricultural box of the XS650. The images below show the 'get me home' repair:
    GET HOME REPAIR 1.jpeg GET HOME REPAIR 2.jpeg
    I used an ill fitting machine screw and a few nuts to hold it together. It worked to a fashion, but 'slop' made the gear changes rather clunky!

I put the actuation part into the pillar drill and drilled out to 6 mm. Then I tapped a thread to take a stainless steel Allen headed bolt; this then protruded enough to use a nylon insert lock nut on the back side. I think that will sort the issue.
    ALLEN BOLT REPAIR 1.JPEG NYLOCK NUT.JPEG
    The final gear issue is the angle of the actual gear lever. It points down at too much of an angle, making for an un-natural and awkward foot position especially when changing up. There isn't enough available movement with the stock adjustments; so I will need to shorten the rose jointed actuation tube, tap the end and reinsert the rose joint. This should bring the lever up to a more horizontal and comfortable position.
    InkedLEVER_LI.jpg

Whilst there I also chased out all the other threaded components and lubricated the moving parts. Gear changes are now far more precise and smoother; just the lever arm position to sort now and all will be well.

Jim, Raymond and Mailman like this.
  12. Raymond

Congrats, Adam, you're into the fettling phase of owning & riding now.

You'll need a test ride to check the slop is reduced. And after the actuating rod is shortened, you'll need test rides to get the lever position correct.

As if anybody ever needed any excuse to get out on the bike . . .

Jim, Adamc and Mailman like this.
  13. 5twins

The short lever attached to the shift shaft is probably also contributing to the stiff shifting. Maybe you can acquire an old stock lever and make a new longer one. Just another inch or so longer would probably help a lot.

Adamc and teamWicked like this.
  14. Raymond

15. 5twins

But truth be told, I don't think you're going to be able to raise the shift lever much before that adjustable rod hits the footpeg bracket, unless you lengthen the front lever. Heck, you may even have to lengthen the rear as well.

Adamc likes this.
  16. Max Midnight

Max Midnight XS650 Addict

Agreed - to me it looks like its the orientation of the lever to its crank that need to be altered which would allow more adjustment of the rod.

Adamc likes this.
  17. Adamc

Wales
    Thanks One & All for the inputs. I have a few ideas and will document them here as I progress.

Raymond likes this.