Wet Sand Base Coat??

pa-powerstroke

On The Edge
Reaction score
So Im rattle canning my tank, I know...anyway the main question I have is should I wet sand the base coat to give it a smooth look before I clear coat? I plan on wet sanding the clear coat but the base coat doesnt look as fluid as I would like.

Depends on the base coat.
If it doesn't have good hiding, isn't a solid color, or has metallics, probably no.
Is the base coat problem just the paint surface, or is it revealing underlying surface-prep blemishes?

Some clears have high surface tension and will flowout well over rough stuff, some don't...

Its a gloss black base coat, and its just the paint surface, not quite as smooth as I would like it. Looks real good other than a little orange peeling, I figured I could try to wet sand it with 1000 grit, put a couple more light coats of base on it then clear coat. Or if I just go ahead and clear coat will that smooth out most of it?
I guess there is truly only one way to find out...

Gloss black is probably the most unforgiving solid color there is. On large panels, it will reveal imperfections like you wouldn't believe. But, that's just word of mouth and personal experience.

Sure, you can wet-sand and reshoot. The clear you chose may or may not cover the orange peel.

Sounds like painting a test piece is in order.

Edit: Have you seen this?

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16409

That spraymax may be worth looking into when I do my frame, it's easy to respray a tank. Not so easy to do a whole damn frame. I just took my tank down from hanging to dry for two days and I'm actually very happy with it. As you said it's very unforgiving about being able to see blemishes but when I'm actually looking at it its great until the light hits certain spots the right way. I'm going to clear coat, very light coats and hope it glosses out as well as the base did

Depends on how good of a show bike you're trying to get that will likely determine your willingness to do the work to get that look. Even rattle-can paint can look great! (Lots of youtube vids showing quality work with it)

And since it's just a tank, seems like it would make sense to wet-sand and reshoot, then wet-sand and do the layers of clear to make it come alive. Then wet-sand some more.

Compared to a car, the tank is simple. :)

Back