What’s the best air filter?

What’s your favorite air filter!?!?

• Total voters

jasidok

Live Life to the fullest!
Reaction score
i guess there are different sub categories in here, to be fair. And I guess my question is leaning more towards aftermarket pod filters. Rather than air box. I now have mikuni vm34s and I also now have both UNI and K&N air filters. So my question is which one would be better suited for Mikunis. But I think this poll should be an overall, generally speaking kind of answer.

And if there is another brand that should be on this poll just add it.... I think you can do that.. right? If not just tell me and I’ll add it? Maybe? I don’t know. These are the two big names that I know so far.

In my experience both foam pods and unprotected fabric pods tend to block up when wet and cause a very rich condition. With VM and other nonvacuum carburetors, I use K&N filters with rain covers from Outerwears. With Outerwears covers the filters breathe freely and stay dry even in a downpour. If you Google them and give them a call with the dimensions of your filters, they'll send you what you need.

And no, I don't recommend pod filters of any kind with vacuum diaphragm carburetors.

I left my stock airboxes off after a carb clean because removing them to get the carbs off was so much of a hassle that I didn't want to put 'em back on.
Went for the pleated tapered pods from Mikes.
Looked nice but the list said that they wouldn't work right on stock carbs even if they did say XS on their ends.
Swapped them for Unipods.
The Unipod's ugly foam cylinders were mostly hidden by the sidecovers and the list said they worked better than Mikes pleated tapers.
Swapped back to stock airboxes when I needed two more Unipods for my XS11.
Noting that I ride like a timid old man (well, I AM a timid old man) I've never noticed any performance difference whichever type of air filter the bike was using.

I left my stock airboxes off after a carb clean because removing them to get the carbs off was so much of a hassle that I didn't want to put 'em back on.
Went for the pleated tapered pods from Mikes.
Looked nice but the list said that they wouldn't work right on stock carbs even if they did say XS on their ends.
Swapped them for Unipods.
The Unipod's ugly foam cylinders were mostly hidden by the sidecovers and the list said they worked better than Mikes pleated tapers.
Swapped back to stock airboxes when I needed two more Unipods for my XS11.
Noting that I ride like a timid old man (well, I AM a timid old man) I've never noticed any performance difference whichever type of air filter the bike was using.

I Love this!!!

When I first got my '74 running, that was a week long wake up that was just to check the condition of the engine. The air box and filter were in no condition to reuse. I found that some plastic spice bottles fit real well on the carbs, so, holes in the sides of the spice bottles, some clamps, green Stens foam wrapped on the bottles with zip ties, oil on the green foam. I am in no way recommending this, but it tuned up well and ran with awesome power, for hardly no investment, to check out the carbs, engine and transmission.

Scott

Last edited:
Back