What Are Your 3 Favorite Tools?

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
There have already been some tool threads, a nice one for Unique and Handmade tools, and one for The Perfect tool.

How about your favorite tools, the ones you use the most, enjoy using, or just really enjoy displaying them on the shelf ?

My three favorite tools are:

1. My grandfather's Starrett micrometer caliper (inherited) which he used daily during WWI in his role as an Inspector of machinery and parts in munitions factories. Although I prefer my digital, I love pulling this out occasionally. Its a shelf piece.

Walker- Turner.jpg

2. A Simpson 260 multimeter with bakelite case and leather strap, circa approx 1945, used by all the Armed Services in WWII, and still produced. Again, I prefer my digital, but this is a joy to use and look at on the shelf. Found at a flea market.

tools 005.JPG

3. Precision Instruments C3FR2505 torque wrench, 1/2" drive. Feels great in my hands, has a distinct "click", and doesn't need to be reset to zero when done. Love to use it.

tools 002.JPG

3 favorite tools.....HMMMMMmmmmmm..........Mine are the one I'm reaching for......the one I'm using........and the one I'm finished with......

My eagle beak seal puller from Napa.
My Dremel tool.
My 1/4" hex drive hand impact driver.

I don't use them often but they're indispensable when I do need them.

Chainsaw......Axe...............

Chainsaw....................Ever spent a few of days where you fell a tree, cut it into rings and split the rings with an axe for winter wood............A good weighted saw with the grunt, combined with a properly sharpened chain, will slide through the timber in front of you, done right the saw will pull itself through with little more than its own weight.........

An Axe...............The handle's shape becomes a part of your hands then the weight of the head becomes your arm, shoulder and back.............Hard to explain the difference between a good shape and bad..........when you feel a good one, then you know................The shape of the blade tells you if your going to make hard or easy work of cutting/splitting.

Something primeval sitting in a forest sharpening your own saw and axe.

3rd love my cordless set of drills......Throw away the impact driver, the drill does it easier. No more damaged screw heads when getting out those stuck ones, well 99.9% of the time, better than 80% or less before. Done right those phillips/JIS screws don't get damaged.

Yamadude, love your vintage stuff!
For me ,
1. My cordless drill for the very same reasons Skull just said.
IMG_5118.JPG
2. My 1/4" drive metric socket set. Nothing in my garage gets used more.
IMG_5119.PNG
3. Is a tie between my T-handle metric Allen wrenches and my new rotary grinder. ( I never knew how useful a Dremel was before this bike)
IMG_5120.GIF IMG_5121.JPG

Three favorite tools......
All good displays I'm seeing. I particularly like Skulls take on the chainsaw and ax, as wood heating has been our main source of heat since the blizzard of '78. In the vein of voluntary simplicity and subsistence farming I'll go with
Ruger Standard 4.75"
New England .410 single
.58 cal. Octagon to round smooth bore swamped barrel "bastard" Fusil flintlock......built with the Tunica Hoard in mind. Early English lock, French buttplate, serpent side plate, 1st model Bess trigger guard with a sling, and no front sight. Esoteric?

Chainsaw......Axe...............

Chainsaw....................Ever spent a few of days where you fell a tree, cut it into rings and split the rings with an axe for winter wood............A good weighted saw with the grunt, combined with a properly sharpened chain, will slide through the timber in front of you, done right the saw will pull itself through with little more than its own weight.........

An Axe...............The handle's shape becomes a part of your hands then the weight of the head becomes your arm, shoulder and back.............Hard to explain the difference between a good shape and bad..........when you feel a good one, then you know................The shape of the blade tells you if your going to make hard or easy work of cutting/splitting.

Something primeval sitting in a forest sharpening your own saw and axe.

3rd love my cordless set of drills......Throw away the impact driver, the drill does it easier. No more damaged screw heads when getting out those stuck ones, well 99.9% of the time, better than 80% or less before. Done right those phillips/JIS screws don't get damaged.
Interesting to see the wide breadth of tools mentioned.
Chainsaw: yup, I could include mine in my top 10 tools. Stihl MS361 with a 20". Good grunt, as you say. I heat primarily with wood. My acreage provides me mostly with choke cherry.

Three favorite tools......
All good displays I'm seeing. I particularly like Skulls take on the chainsaw and ax, as wood heating has been our main source of heat since the blizzard of '78. In the vein of voluntary simplicity and subsistence farming I'll go with
Ruger Standard 4.75"
New England .410 single
.58 cal. Octagon to round smooth bore swamped barrel "bastard" Fusil flintlock......built with the Tunica Hoard in mind. Early English lock, French buttplate, serpent side plate, 1st model Bess trigger guard with a sling, and no front sight. Esoteric?
I like your esoterica.
In my collection: Ruger GP100 357 Blued 6" barrel, Ruger MKIII stainless Competition weighed long barrel

Hard to say, you talking about three favorite tools to use at work or three favorite for enjoyment. I'm a total tool guy and they're like my kids. I love them all equally.......

Yamadude, love your vintage stuff!
For me ,
1. My cordless drill for the very same reasons Skull just said.
View attachment 102941
2. My 1/4" drive metric socket set. Nothing in my garage gets used more.
View attachment 102942
3. Is a tie between my T-handle metric Allen wrenches and my new rotary grinder. ( I never knew how useful a Dremel was before this bike)
View attachment 102943 View attachment 102944
The cordless drill certainly has been a Revolution in tool use. I picked out the Bosch pocket-sized Li+ batteried cordless pictured at the back of the pic of my torque wrench from a catalogue of gifts on my 15th anniversary at the workplace; its been an amazing tool to use.

Topping my list would have to be my Atlas/Craftsman 6x18 lathe.
Atlas618-Craftsman101.jpg

I grew up with this thing. It's a little older than me, kinda like a big brother. Dear ol' dad introduced me to it when I was about 4-5 years old, been using it ever since.

I'm at a loss for the next 2...

^LOL. My father was a dentist and my mother would not allow him any hobbies so I don't have many inherited tools. My brother, who is also a dentist, inherited most of his tools but I do have a couple of precious dental picks I make use of. WWII devil dog Marine in the South Pacific, I feel like I spent 20 yrs in the Marines but did not get the pension :)

Back