What battery are you using?

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need some advice on a cheap battery I can put into my Tracker build---what has everyone used that will turn the electric start?

Thanks

Hi everyone, I need some advice on a cheap battery I can put into my Tracker build---what has everyone used that will turn the electric start?

Thanks

Hi jsmith,
cheap as in an old-fashioned lead-acid wet cell rather than a candyassed sealed up thing at twice the price?
Stock size, of course, bigger won't fit in the carrier* and smaller is plain daft.
Shop around for a good price, I was surprised that my local bike shop's price was 20% lower than the same battery from Canadian Tire.
*Except for a sidecar rig, my XS11/SofA rig has a car battery in a separate carrier.
No more dodgy cold weather starting with all those CCAs.

I am using Exide batteries in four motorcycles that I get from Rural King (it's a farm store). So far, great experience with these batteries, two of them are past the two year point. TSC also carries this brand around here, but their price is higher. Right now the recommended one for the XS650's is on sale for $35.00 USD, regular price is $40.00 USD. I do not baby these batteries or constantly tickle them with a charger, just top off with distilled water and charge them at the beginning of the season. I check the water/acid level only once again mid-season, anything different than that is the bikes fault.....not the batteries'.

Scott

Thx everyone---now the main question---should i just go without a battery and kick only?

That's like asking someone if you should paint your bike blue or red....

Only you can make that decision.

I'm building my bike as kick-only, but I'm leaving the electronics intact to convert it back fairly quickly if I change my mind after a few months. Perhaps consider the same?

Back