What coils for points...?

madjap

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Wondering... I'm still working on my 72 SX chopper and am getting to the point of putting coil(s) on. Was wondering if I have to know anything specific regarding picking a coil. Was thinking of using an 'ebay special' Harley coil, Does it matter that my bike is still running the points? Is there a difference in coils? Thanks!

Get the right ohms range and don't worry about it. Leave the green Dyna S coils alone, tho. They don't seem to last long.

I just put a blue dyna coil on my r100gs should I expect it to die on me soon? Cold rain on my stock coil cracked it and whenever any moisture got on it , it would die instantly.

Posted via Mobile

You need the proper primary resistance. For points that would be 4 to 5 ohms. The 2 and 3 ohm coils are for electronic ignitions. If used with points, the points will burn up quickly. If you want to mimic the original set-up, you will need two separate single fire coils. You can use a single double fire coil if you switch to a single points set-up or wire the two sets of points together. I'm not sure about the details for combining the points but they are outlined here on the sight. If you do some searching, you should find them easy enough.

Using a single coil is easy as the devil. Wasted spark is used on all kinds of stuff. Simple wire the two points wires together, run that wire to one side of the coil. Add a condenser to that same coil post. The other side gets a switched hot wire. That's it. Just make sure your points plate is all properly adjusted so the timing will be correct for both sides.

Using a single coil is easy as the devil. Wasted spark is used on all kinds of stuff. Simple wire the two points wires together, run that wire to one side of the coil. Add a condenser to that same coil post. The other side gets a switched hot wire. That's it. Just make sure your points plate is all properly adjusted so the timing will be correct for both sides.

GRATZI Mister Beak! I wondered how that would work... I SWEAR I did this on some other yoppah I worked on, but be damned if I can recall who's bike it was or what the details were. Man, that sounds pretty easy and straight forward...

Using a timing light, if the points plates are not together, you should see 2 timing marks. I adjust the small plate to bring the 2 marks together as one, so they are in unison, and then use the large plate to set the timing. At least I think that's how I remember it, I haven't touched it for over a year.

Back