What did you weld or what do you need to weld today...

westonboege

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have been welding for a little over 10 years. My first welding project was a set of intercooler hard pipes for a turbo Supra project back in college. They turned out terrible. I ended up having to cut all the pipes apart and have a friend help me get all the pinholes out.

I figured with all the fabricating going on at this site it might be cool to have kind of a thread to get welding tips or show off what you welded today.

I just picked up a new tig welder on monday and got it all wired in. Its first job was to make a set of stainless 304 tube to mild steel flange independent intake manifolds for the xs to put up in my store...

I learn more every day...

IMG_1621.jpg

I just picked up a new tig welder on monday and got it all wired in. Its first job was to make a set of stainless 304 tube to mild steel flange independent intake manifolds for the xs to put up in my store...

Hi westonboege,
ooh, that's pretty. TIG rules! I seethe with envy.
Mr. Blobby only has a 180Amp Lincoln buzzbox and an el-cheapo oxy-acetylene kit.
I've stick-welded several sidecar attachments and a utility trailer over the years
and I have always held with the amateur welder's mantra:-
Length replaces Strength
Which is probably why none of my horrible welds have failed in service.
One time Mr. Cheap tried welding two hot water tank heads together to make an air compressor tank.
What I learned that day was to covet the skills of those who could make a weld that didn't leak air.

...ooh, that's pretty. TIG rules! I seethe with envy...

I totally agree with Mr. Blobby! THAT's the way to do it!

Started welding in the mid-60s, gas, splatterbox, mig. But, TIG is on my bucket list.

Good idea for a thread. Looking forward to some interesting weld pics.

They call me........MudDauber...

Welding to hold air is no joke! Haha... my charge pipe resembled a fish tank air stone when i tested it.

I plan on making some stainless exhaust systems for the xs ... so im getting another argon bottle set up for back purging. In the mean time im just trying to learn as much about this machine as possible.

I gotta say though... i put ALOT of miles my flux core mig welder. Even more miles on the parts i made with it...

I "learned" to weld by taking an Adult Ed course. 4 nights I think it was. What it really did was give me a chance to play with MIG, Arc and gas welders.

Then I went out and bought a Lincoln SP135 MIG with a gas regulator. I did quite a lot of junkyard welding on my farm equipment with that. Some good, some not-so. I had sense enough not to weld on anything that would create a hazard to life if the weld broke.

Then I went to work at a fish cannery and I did a LOT of welding. TIG on stainless, MIG on aluminum, arc on steel, with some NICE welders. Got a lot of practice, and went from "rank beginner" to "fairly competent" arc and MIG, and somewhere in between on TIG, mostly due to lack of practice.

Shortly before I left the cannery, I worked a "labor for toys" swap and obtained an old but solid Miller DialARC 250 with the TIG box. That's been my go-to welder since.

Like anything else, practice makes perfect and a layoff will erode your skills, so my welding tends to be a bit variable these days. If I'm doing something that's any kind of critical or will be seen, I usually spend an hour or two practicing and getting my hand back. Another thing that affects the quality of my welds is the available materials. 90% or better of my welding uses recycled metal that is less than perfectly clean and gets stuck together with good old 6011.

So, long story short: I CAN weld, but I'm not good enough at it to be all that confident in my abilities or post pictures of the results.

Good idea for a thread. I won't have anything to add to it, but I'll be watching it closely. I've just started to 'play' with welding. I toyed with auditing a community college class this past year - I may do that next school year. Right now I'm reading and watching vids, then going out to the garage and making crappy welds on scrap metal.

Nice Thread!

The first time I welded I was about 10 years old, my uncle decided it was time for me to learn it :laugh: that was MIG
After that I got Arc, MIG and oxy acetylene in school.
did a bit of TIG at my internship but thats about it.

Nowdays i own a GYS Monomig 160/1 with a bottle of CO2/argon mixture for steel
I try to weld every week to keep my skills up :thumbsup:
made a battery box from scrap for the 650 because i wanted to weld a lot haha

Still want the upgrade to TIG in the future but right now im ok.

Weazel

Attachments

• IMG_4097.jpg
    IMG_4097.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_4115.jpg
    IMG_4115.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_4114.jpg
    IMG_4114.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_4095.jpg
    IMG_4095.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 324
great thread I use to weld very well,when i did it all the time building street rod's back in the day ( 17 or so years ago ) can still weld just not as pretty as it use to be, now i just cant seam to folow the line anymore just can't see the puddel anymore any good ideals out for us ageing welder who cant see anymore lol

I have been welding for a little over 10 years. My first welding project was a set of intercooler hard pipes for a turbo Supra project back in college. They turned out terrible. I ended up having to cut all the pipes apart and have a friend help me get all the pinholes out.

I figured with all the fabricating going on at this site it might be cool to have kind of a thread to get welding tips or show off what you welded today.

IMG_1621.jpg

ever think about making a set of carb holders that turns out 45* or even turns out 90* very PRETTY WELDING THERE

ever think about making a set of carb holders that turns out 45* or even turns out 90* very PRETTY WELDING THERE

Ive thought about having them turn out 45 degrees... Still have to make a set of them up... Will be some more good practice tho... maybe this weekend ill get some together...

Having a welder is a wonderful thing. I only have a lowly little buzz box stick welder but it's allowed me to make numerous little "special tools" and aids for my bike work over the years, not to mention small repairs or mods to frames and side/centerstands. I've built numerous engine stands, small work tables, a wheel balance/true stand, shock spring compressor, various engine lifting brackets, the list goes on and on. One of the first things I constructed was a little all metal welding table with the ground cable attached to one of the legs. This makes welding small items so much easier. Simply clamp them to the table top and weld away. One of my latest "little helper" items is "D" handles for the 650 motor, for small moves and lifts around the shop. As you're probably aware, there's really nothing to grab onto for moving these about. These handles remedy that situation .....

DHandles3.jpg

DHandles.jpg

DHandles2.jpg

Best use I've found so far for those idiotic buckhorn bars, lol.

I need to weld some sort of loops to the underside of a rear fender to keep brake light wire snug.... I hate mig welding super thin sheet though and i dont have Tig. Not sure i wanna risk heat distortion so i might have my mates at my local sheet metal works do it for a 6 pack of beers!

Last edited:
I like 5Twins' "D" handle carry tool. Clever use of tractor hitchpins.

...now i just cant seam to folow the line anymore just can't see the puddel anymore any good ideals out for us ageing welder who cant see anymore lol

Same here, Dirty Dog. Lot of my welding is on small objects (gunsmithing projects, ...etc.), and need to see detail. And, hated that 'flip-down' maneuver.

About 20 years ago, "Auto View" auto-darkening modules appeared at Tractor supply.
Got one and set out to modify my Forney 'flip-up' helmet.

Forney01.jpg Forney02.jpg

I prefer the flip-up visor, and the AutoView fit in there, but had to hammer out an oversize clip retainer for it.

AutoView.jpg

The welding shop carried a variety of "Omni-Mag" magnifiers that fit into the helmet's lens pocket.
Kinda like those easy-reader eyeglasses. I found the version marked ".75" works well for me.

Omni-Mag.jpg

I need to weld some sort of loops to the underside of a rear fender to keep brake light wire snug.... I hate mig welding super thin sheet though and i dont have Tig. Not sure i wanna risk heat distortion so i might have my mates at my local sheet metal works do it for a 6 pack of beers!

Could try some bent/formed tubing, silver-soldered in there. Large solder-bonding area, full protection, form to tuck in there...

I like 5Twins' "D" handle carry tool. Clever use of tractor hitchpins.

Same here, Dirty Dog. Lot of my welding is on small objects (gunsmithing projects, ...etc.), and need to see detail. And, hated that 'flip-down' maneuver.

About 20 years ago, "Auto View" auto-darkening modules appeared at Tractor supply.
Got one and set out to modify my Forney 'flip-up' helmet.

View attachment 52445 View attachment 52446

I prefer the flip-up visor, and the AutoView fit in there, but had to hammer out an oversize clip retainer for it.

View attachment 52447

The welding shop carried a variety of "Omni-Mag" magnifiers that fit into the helmet's lens pocket.
Kinda like those easy-reader eyeglasses. I found the version marked ".75" works well for me.

View attachment 52448

thanks but I have a good auto darkening helmet ( well it was a good one back in 92 when i got it from lincoln welding EQC brand around $300 back then) #10 it old but it still works i gess it gos from light to dark lol I've tried one of them light on the end of the mig torch no help if I use a 500watt halogen lamp it help but that hard to do when welding around on a frame tube.would a lighter lenses help,mine is fixed at #10 I'l try one of them magnifiers to see if it helps

Could try some bent/formed tubing, silver-soldered in there. Large solder-bonding area, full protection, form to tuck in there...

use alum fuel line 3/8 ( or smaller or could use steel ) epoxyed inside the fender works great and no heat warpage and won't damage the paint on the outside.:thumbsup:

use alum fuel line 3/8 ( or smaller or could use steel ) epoxyed inside the fender works great and no heat warpage and won't damage the paint on the outside.:thumbsup:

Thats a really good idea. So obvious... :doh: Some Ali fuel line would be perfect. Something like JB weld to bond it would work long term? Or like TwoMany suggests soldering could work since its still bare metal but id have to buy the solder. Anyone ever tried that Super Alloy 1 stuff? Thanks for that suggestion!

I'll tell you one thing DIRTY DOG, the magnifier Is a wonderful thing for us old guys
I was getting to where I couldn't see the puddle too. but with auto darkening with magnfier I see very well.

Back