What do I do to cover speedometer drive hole ?

ShermT110

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am planning on re-lacing a front spoked hub (19") from what I believe was a 72' 650 special to an 18" rim. Both rims are the same type, 185B. The main question I have is how do I omit the speedometer drive and cover the gaping hole where it once was?
DSC01899.jpg

DSC01894.jpg

Thanks

Wheel is probably 73 or 74 not 72 but that doesn't matter much. Removing the speedo drive is easy just pry out the ring that holds it. If you are real careful sometimes guys are looking for them. At least one on here machined an aluminum cover for the gap. It is structural as it spaces the fork tube out from the bearing. OK I got distracted and two other guys gave better answers before I did. but I'm leaving this post up just to clutter up your thread.

If it was me, I'd use the speedometer drive housing. I'd remove or disable the mechanism, maybe that's what gggGary was saying, and I'd cap or seal the cable hole. If I was building a show bike, then I'd buy the eliminator.

Wheel is probably 73 or 74 not 72 but that doesn't matter much. Removing the speedo drive is easy just pry out the ring that holds it. If you are real careful sometimes guys are looking for them. At least one on here machined an aluminum cover for the gap. It is structural as it spaces the fork tube out from the bearing. OK I got distracted and two other guys gave better answers before I did. but I'm leaving this post up just to clutter up your thread.

It's been a long time since I looked up the serial # for this poor old thing. I thought it was a 72'. It was given to my ex when we were together and after we split up it got put out in the elements. I did the only merciful thing I could do and asked her to give it to me. I then put it out of it's misery,lol! Since then I acquired an 81' and that is my current project.
100_0753.jpg
[/IMG]

I bought one of hughs eliminators and it didn't work right. Ate the seal all up and made a ton of noise at speed. I had to get a new speedo side dust seal.

Maybe bc it was one from his first run and it wasn't perfect?

Anyway, I chucked it and replaced with my stock speedo drive. You can take the existing brass cap off an old speedo cable and thread it on the drive to cover the threads.

I bought one of hughs eliminators and it didn't work right. Ate the seal all up and made a ton of noise at speed. I had to get a new speedo side dust seal.

Maybe bc it was one from his first run and it wasn't perfect?

Anyway, I chucked it and replaced with my stock speedo drive. You can take the existing brass cap off an old speedo cable and thread it on the drive to cover the threads.

Should have said something, we'd have replaced it or refunded you - we stand behind our products... :thumbsup:

Run over to the hardware store.....look for the little rubber or plastic "feet" that fit on chairs, tables etc.

I have one of them over my speedo drive and one over my tach drive. Fit tight.....dont come loose.....cost pennies. For a little extra security, if your so inclined, a dab of silicon will ensure its not going anywhere.

Alright, now that the speedo drive is solved; next question :
I have an 18" rim that I want to re-lace to my front hub. I have searched the net and found nothing as a replacement for the spokes. The rim is of the same type as the original, it is the rear rim from a Honda CB 360. Does anyone have an idea as to the thread size and pitch of the original 19" spokes? If so I could re-thread them and cut them to the length I need.

You may have some issues with the angle the holes in the rim were drilled, IE for a drum rear hub? Is the spoke count the same? mikes xs sells a spoke set for an 18" rim for the front but is waiting on stock...

Stainless Steel Spoke set 18" front 36 spoke

19-0067.jpg

New product coming soon. Expected delivery early 2013.​
Finally - you can run 18" rims on the front of your XS650!

Stainless Steel Spoke set 18" front 36 spoke. Angles calculated for our 18" rims with XS650 front hub. XS650's were not offered with 18" front rims.
Part #19-0067
$75.00 USD Set
Out of Stock

What I've got is a xs650 stock front rim,hub ect. What I want to do is lace it to a Honda 360 rear rim. 185Bx18W. Ok, to make things easy I want to copy Monstercraftsman's bike! From looking at their picts. the bike has 18x4.00 front and 16x5.00 tires.

I bought spokes from them for another project and they are great people to work with and their product is 100%! I was just looking a cheap deal on this project. I've got the rim, I've got the spokes. I just don't know how to re-thread them.

What could have caused that?
Hi Hugh just purchased one of these speedo delete spacers from you. Any tips and tricks to avoid the outcome another user had with the worn bearing face and noise.
Thanks!

Paj this is a very old thread. You could probably contact the manufacturer directly.

Back