What do I need to own and insure a mc in USA?

Wizard

Vagabond
Reaction score
I'm starting a bobber build with xs 650 home im Sweden, but I'm going to head out this summer for a long american trip.

I'm thinking of buying a xs650 or harley in USA and cruise around the west coast, visit some festivals and whatever. So, do I need a social security number, work permit or anything else to own and insure a bike?

Thanks! //Wizard

Thanks for the help, that departments homepage was a challenge to understand though. If anyone else knows anything, i'd be happy to be informed.

Take a look at the other Western states' DMVs and pick the one that will be easiest to register it in. Then you can use that as the starting point for your trip. You might have to rent a P.O. Box to have an American address. There are a lot of businesses renting bikes, especially Harleys. Maybe that would be a cheaper/easier option.

I know you need a motorcycle license. I agree on renting one. Some places will rent one to you for several weeks. That way you are not too vested in the machine.

I've known plenty of guys who went to Europe and rented motorcycles. I assume you can do the same in reverse :)

If it was me, I would contact some places in the U.S. where you might rent motorcycles, might find them through travel agencies, and find out what's required, along with cost!

On the other hand I knew two guys from Germany who bought a car here and drove to California and back, taking a few weeks to do it, selling the car when they got back. Renting a car for that length of time would have been very expensive. It was an old El Camino :) One of the guys was a good mechanic, just in case. Have fun. It's not as wild and lawless here as you might hear it is.

There is a mob here, (Aus), doing roll on roll off freight trips to the States and here is an extract from their PDF form.

"You can ride your bike in the USA on your Australian Registration plate for up to 6 months (subject to your Aussie rego being
current for that time) and using your current Australian licence for up to 3 months. An International Driving Permit (for up to 12
months) is advisable if you’re staying beyond 3 months.
Riding Insurance – we have access to USA Motorcycle Insurers who can provide a quote for your bike and your particular circumstances"

Wizard,

Probably the easiest way would be to have a good friend in the US buy the bike and have it titled and insured in his name.

Well you didn't ask, but those are not great bike choices in my opinion, if you want to put on a bunch of miles with few problems. If you are riding alone the Yamaha 650 V-stars are cheap, reliable as a rock, easy to operate and insure. figure a low mile, late model (03 -07) bike in great shape for about $3,000 to 3,500 I would be all about no worries riding. Las Vegas Nevada might be a good jump in point lots of stuff cheap, including motels Close to LA and a huge Craigslist to shop in.
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=vstar&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Thanks y'all, now I know a bit more what to think about. I think the best option is still to buy and not to rent.

Back