What do you do for CSS?

Grinder

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
40-50 degree morning, full face helmet, glasses and then it starts after the first exhale.CSS (can't see shit). I've tried the antifog sprays on glasses which did nothing. If you leave the shield cracked a bit it clears but then your eyeballs freeze. I hate wasting these nice 70 degree afternoons because of the nasty ride to work in the morning. What do you guys do to battle the fog?

Same thing I do with my scuba gear. Get a bottle scuba anti fog. Two drops on the lens. Dip in water and let air dry (do not rub dry).

I just crack mine a 1/4" for a bit. Once it acclimates to the cold, I find I don't have trouble with it fogging up from breathing. Only takes a couple of minutes for mine. The fog in the atmosphere is a different story. Then it is freeze my face off time because I have to open it. Or keep wiping it off every few seconds. A balaclava helps keep my face warm. I think I will try some of the anti fog that gemiller spoke of.

Lift your visor when you're stopped for a light. The problem seems to clear itself up while you're moving if it hasn't gotten too bad. I've put anti-fog stuff on the visor too, with varying results.

It's much worse when I'm wearing a balaclava because it apparently directs my breath right up to the visor.

Foggy Mask made by Respro. A friend of mine got me one about three years ago after a cold race day at oak hill. Lol. We was using ducktape over our nose clear across under both eyes to block our breath. lol. Great times anyway this thing works like a champ!

Best antifog sheild i've ever used was a scorpion full face helm. Will not fog, I've tried.

^ +1 on the scorpion full face. Mine never fogs. I think Grinder has a problem with his glasses fogging though and not the shield.

Scorpion must have gotten better because that's what my buddy had on. Lol. But it was 31 and spitting a little snow. Lol. I don't know about the foggy mask and eye glasses tho but I know the mask is only $16.

Thanks for all the ideas. My helmet is a Bell w/anti fog shield and it came with this rubber nose guard thing which I thought was for cold weather riding as it would direct your breath down, but as it turns out it also blocks the vent when in place.Maybe I was shooting myself in the foot with that thing in place. What is that thing suppose to be used for? Anybody used some stuff called Cat Crap on their shields or glasses?

Do you use the cleaner before the Sea Quick? Seems to be real important to have a clean slate before applying any of these type products. Drops, gel or spray? Do you let air dry after rinsing?

I found out they do make an electric heated shield for my helmet for snowmobiling but no specs on it. Heated things and the XS's charging system usually don't play well together.

Back