What do you guys think about the Indian FTR1200?

Good luck, Mailman. Looks like the pipes will just burn your ass and not your nuts, so might not be too bad.

I don't think it has a market. It won't have the styling / price / performance to appeal to kids. Will have too much styling / price / performance to appeal to the majority of grownups. Where it could succeed big would be as an affordable straight up commuter working bike for the street, like a CB750. I doubt there's the profit margin to persuade them to do something like that though.

I don't think it has a market. It won't have the styling / price / performance to appeal to kids. Will have too much styling / price / performance to appeal to the majority of grownups. Where it could succeed big would be as an affordable straight up commuter working bike for the street, like a CB750. I doubt there's the profit margin to persuade them to do something like that though.

There’s a lot of bikes I like as a stying exercise. Some are fun to rip around on for an hour, a lot of them are just too impractical to live with. I have ridden both the new Indian Chief and the Scout. The Chief is beautiful but GAWD is it heavy! Not my idea of fun. The Scout, I really liked. It is so much lighter, it’s quick and handles nice and has a very deep rumble that is satisfying.

If I’m being honest, I think the new FTR is cool looking and I bet would be fun to tear around on. I could never bring myself to pay the asking price, but would I like to win one? Sure!

Considering I did the 1000miles in 24/hr iron butt ride on a ducati 748, and the most practical bike I ever owned was a honda rebel with hard bags, I'm not really looking at practicality on bikes. My wife doesn't like to ride so pillion seat isn't a concern, if I commute I just need a backpack for lunch and maybe snacks, so really with my current commute I could get by with a grom. I don't tour on a bike, I don't use a bike as my only transportation, and my main concern with them is do I like the look, can I ride more than 20 minutes without my back killing me. I have to say thanks army for the back problems, but I am glad more manufacturers are giving us bikes that are more the "standard" or "tracker" style because they do look nice, and I still want some performance to go with my non tucked riding position.

I don't think it has a market. It won't have the styling / price / performance to appeal to kids.

Normally I'd agree, but that Ducati scrambler seems to be doing really well, and Triumph has one too. There may not be a 'tracker' market, but I think the FTR could slide right in with the scramblers when it comes to standard/commuters with more personality. At this point in time, I'd stick pick a normal scout/60 over this one, but it's the kind of bike I'd LOVE to find used in a little rough shape in 10-15 years, because steel framed bikes make for great project bikes.

....... so really with my current commute I .........can I ride more than 20 minutes without my back killing me. but I am glad more manufacturers are giving us bikes that are more the "standard" or "tracker" style because they do look nice, and I still want some performance to go with my non tucked riding position.

I agree, my commute is 12 miles, 25 minutes. I do it perfectly comfortable on a buell S1 with a seat that's only big enough for one butt cheek at a time. It was fun on a supermoto, a ninja 250, a speed triple. It's not long enough to get sore no matter what you're doing, it's not fast enough to really get into higher rpms. Just give me something that's fun to ride so I can actually look forward to leaving for work in the morning, and can relieve a little stress on the way home, and I'm happy. I think this bike actually looks like it'd be a great commuter. The scout engine is a wonderful engine and the riding position looks comfortable. That's all you really need(aside from a tail long enough to keep water off of your back, but I'm sure they'll bolt some ugly plastic monstrosity on the back of it to keep you dry.

Mailman I agree with you. I'd just like to see something really take off.

Well, FWIW, I also really like the FTR1200 concept and I do agree with the sentiments in the video that Marty posted.

Sadly, US bike makers seem to be stuck in a rut and they’re dying....slowly, but steadily, from what the sales stats say. Their offerings are all too similar, too low-tech and (IMO), much too expensive. This spring I bought a brand new Suzuki SV650 that cost just over $8K taxes-in (CDN) and it is also a v-twin. But, it is faster, quicker, smoother, quieter, cleaner & cheaper to operate (in terms of mpg), has the same or even more features, is more serviceable, more comfortable and, if past experience is any guide, it will likely will be more reliable and durable than an Indian or Hogly Ferguson that costs anywhere from 2-5X as much. The closest thing either Indian or H-D offers would be a Sportster 883, and I think the list on one of those is about $14-16K (plus tax) in my city.

Anyhow, in my view, the guy in the video IS dead right in that those companies are trapped by their history and are going in ever-decreasing circles....around the same centre point.

Perhaps this fairly radical new model (the FTR1200) will bust Indian out of that circle and be an offering that would interest a rider like me. The key thing) is the price/performance balance (aka the “value” proposition). The Race on Sunday - Sell on Monday thing worked for Ford/Chevy/Honda etc. because while the “Monday” products may have looked somewhat like the “Sunday” products, they were affordable and they made sense for prospective buyers.

It won’t matter to me if the FTR1200 runs just like the race bike - because I’m not going to race it. It will matter that the thing is durable, reliable, comfortable and fun - at a price that makes sense. Trying to sell me a bike - ANY bike - for $25-40K is not going to work. A motorcycle is essentially a toy, a hobby - not a necessity, and that much money - for a hobby - just doesn’t work for me.

If I did have that kind of dough to spend on a new motorcycle (which I do not), I guess I’d buy a Gold Wing because I like touring and it’s hard to beat a GL for the long ride. For just about any other NEW bike buy, my limit would be in the low-mid $-teens (taxes-in), and if Indian could build one of these new bikes for that kind of money, they might just rope me in.

Anyhow, I did just submit the winning entry....so, sorry guys...:D

Last edited:
Honest Indian. I think they'd sell a million of these.

asdf.JPG

Pete,
You’re right about Harley being stuck in the past. They tried to design a water cooled 750 , that is a dull performer and dull looking and buyers are staying away in droves.
The Sportster has a decent engine and an OK price (only a little high ) but the real deal killer for me is they want that low low seat height at the expense of decent suspension and it grinds everywhere when you go around corners.
The one Harley I really liked was the most different. The XR1200.
765008EA-04B3-4787-9EF4-B33FC7C1D1FD.jpeg

They actually handled, had good suspension and for a Harley they were relatively light.
However the Harley faithful didn’t buy them and you could still find discounted models on dealership floors for years after production stopped.
Recently applied import tariffs are only going to increase Harley’s death spiral as their overseas sales are going to take a hit.
Every time they have tried something different it falls flat. Remember them buying MV Augusta in an effort to add sport bikes to their company? What a financial disaster that was!
And Buell? They actually were very good bikes, even if the styling was a little ( ahem) awkward.

Yeah, I take no joy in saying it, but.....
40DF7C2D-9500-466E-9D3B-5523EE424B35.jpeg

I loved the Harley and the Davidsons TV series that aired this winter. It was pretty tough on Indian, but it sure highlighted the constant striving for innovation, drive for technical excellence and shear courage of these two firms. Sadly, that all seems to have waned in the last couple of decades and they (esp. HD) have simply fallen back the same formula plus relentless marketing of “lifestyle” clothing and trinkets.

Last edited:
"And Buell? They actually were very good bikes, even if the styling was a little ( ahem) awkward."

Define good. What was the recall % on those, 100%? Performance, OK, reliable, hardly.

A friend of mine, the owner of the D.U.M.P. (Denver Used Motorcycle Parts) bought 5-XLCRs from Big D in Dallas in 1978 for $2k each. Brought them to Denver and sold them for $2700 each leaving him with a free one. I rode to Sturgis with 3 of them. They had the foresight to bring a 'chase' truck. When we got to Sturgis, all 3 were on the trailer, 2 blew up (oil probs) and one had a flat tire.
Still a very cool bike and I have always wanted one.
I hope the FTR1200 is a gimmick free (ie: no traction control, ride modes, etc) and doesn't weigh 600+ lbs.

On the History Channel tonight a guy is going to make some jump, and the promo for it looks like he's sitting on this model of Indian or close.

Back