What do you think of this deal?

Hi Rusty,
well, the photos look good, that's a late model engine and buying that Work in Progress would save you a load of effort and save your current bike from a terminal sawzall violation so that's a twofer already.
But first,
Are you close enough to go there in person with a pickup truck and a fistful of Benjamins to start the serious dickering?
Never mind the bill of sale, can you plate the thing in your name?
If that's yes and yes, go for it!
Start with holding out 7 bills where he can see them and see if he blinks.
But even at the asking price, the extra costs of ANY project will make the ante look like not much at all.

The biggest thing for would be the condition of the engine. Does it run? Charging system? Carbs? Pipes? Ignition? If not, then I'd say price is a little high.

I'd call it an 82 heritage special. I guess alot would depend on how custom you are going and if not going wild, how good the "box of parts" is. needs carbs, front/rear brakes, ignition, it was TCI, lighting gauges, exhaust, I would want to hear a pretty good story about why it's BOS only. get a kick starter on it and see how compression is by feel or gauge. would want to see at least 100psi on both sides or start dickering. The hardtail looks OK but I am not a fan of removing the doubler from the backbone before welding on the the upper HT tubes. No rear brake pivot yet, seat brackets, fender brackets, E box and brackets, you a welder? grips, controls, cables, wiring harness. I start doing the mental math and figure with no title he should pay YOU to haul it away, only kind of kidding.

Hi all! Its a ferry away so it'll take a whole day basically to check it out, the engine im not to worried about since i plan on replacing the carbs, putting a PMA system and upgrading to a big bore block...etc but a engine core would be nice, since i plan on sending it to HUGHS for a rephasing and rebuild.

I saw those and the last with the two bikes for one is intriguing since i like the TC hard tail and engine looks somewhat in decent shape.

Still browsing though, the only thing that worries me about the frame i posted is how good the welds are.

Heck yeah Rusty, its only a couple hours drive for you depending on traffic. Might suck getting through downtown on I-5 and 405 is worse I`m sure but shoot man, that one only has 2350 miles on it, (wonder why they hardly rode it.)
If you pick those up and decide to let that seat and backrest go, let me know.

I`m really surprised by how of these 650`s that are still around and how many folks make choppers, hardtails, and bobbers out of them.
I know almost everytime I`m out on the 650 someone says "nice bike, I had one once. or just give a thumbs up.

I`m amazed by how many of these 650`s there are still left around.
And I`m equally amazed by how many are made into choppers, hard-tails, bobbers etc.
I know almost everytime I`m riding the 650 special 2 someone comments on it or gives a thumbs up, says nice bike or something.
And the great support this forum provides, lot of really good guys on this board, I just hope I can learn enough about these things to pay it forward and contribute.

Ive seen a consistency on frames without titles, how hard is it to obtain a title with only the bill of sale?

Im thinking of going picking up a frame this weekend but if its going be a big hassle without the title, then im going to pass on it!

The bike is an 81SH. Probably built in the second half of 80 as per the model manufacturing time frame. Aug of one year to July the next

Positives.
Title; A titled neck or frame is going to cost $250-$300

Bike runs; According to owner and although it does have some problems it can be used as is and learn about the XS.

Good condition; Parts will fetch good money to go towards the cost of the build. Reduces the initial cost.

TCI; If the bike runs then the ignition is still good. Save money on getting a new one till the old breaks down. A lot of guys are still running the factory TCI ignition.

Mag Drum brake; The only year the XS650 come out with a Mag wheel with a drum brake in the States. These are rare and worth money, also changing to a spoke wheel is a straight bolt on change over, no frame mods needed.

Possibilities; Charging system may still be ok so a saving there. Factory charging system in working condition works well and anyone who says the XS650 Charging system is shit and has to be upgraded to a more reliable PMA doesn't know what they are talking about.

Negative:
Engine needs work; If it is only a Valve stem seal, (have my dough-ts), then the bike can be ridden as is while you get all the parts together for a build and gives you an opportunity to learn about your carbs, timing, ignition, charging and such. The compression no's aren't real good, and i would check them out, but even with those no's the bike will perform well enough

Back