1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What does the XS650 engine weigh?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeeter, Feb 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Hightower-Ash98

Hightower-Ash98 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

I can't imagine the amount I'd have to invest in tools, electricians, and equipment to be able to make a free engine hoist! Maybe decades in the future my garage will be packed to the gills with enough scrap to build a whole bike. As is my $7k worth of crap-on tools are locked in a tin walled shoppe out of access to people such as myself for the foreseeable future! Maybe my furlough will end and I'll be allowed to smuggle a welder home in the back of my jeep.
    Then, THEN I can REALLY be a fabricator!

2. Hightower-Ash98

It'd cost more to have 220v ran into my gay-rag than I paid for the shattered remains of a once proud Japanese motorbike! My air compressor is a handmedown from my father, late 90's early 2000's model 150psi Crapsman! Damn thing trips my GFCI every time it turns on! That's what I get for buying someone basketcase of a home!

MaxPete likes this.
  3. Hightower-Ash98

That chrome is... Mwah! Beautiful!! Harbor freight sure was lucky yesterday, I drooled over a bench polisher for quite some time, until I checked my wallet that is! When my engine came out there was a hint of the black paint that once adorned it's casement, filling me with nostalgia and remorse for an appearance that I have not witnessed

MaxPete likes this.
  4. Hightower-Ash98

I was about 6 steps away from getting a full blown used motorcycle lift. That would have made the day easier, 160lbs is a lot to lift chest high, no so much to keep chest high

Mailman and MaxPete like this.
  5. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I usually get a helper, lol. Then we enlist the help of these pipe handles I made up. It allows us to lift the motor like a stretcher and work it into or out of the frame .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, once the motor is out, what do you grab onto to move it around? For that, I made these smaller D handles. See, those buckhorn bars are good for something after all, lol .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]