XS650 Member
Reaction score
Down below somewhere is a thread I started on 75 vs 79 forks. Blah Blah Blah,
Anyway I made the recommended tool
xsforktool_zpstqwteuvc.jpg
']
xsforktool_zpstqwteuvc.jpg
[/URL]
Fiddled with it and fiddled with it but no joy getting the bottom screw out. Decided to try the other fork. Didn't work on that one either but wonder of wonders it came apart anyway. The reason my super duper tool didn't work became obvious.
This doesn't look like either 75 or 79 forks. Is this one of those emulator things? The short spring has been cut and there was no spacer under the top plug which BTW was a SOB to get out. A 12 point 7/16 socket just kind of fit on the end which allowed me to get the other fork apart.

forkguts_zpsa3wm3uiv.jpg
']
forkguts_zpsa3wm3uiv.jpg
[/URL]
So over to the experts.

Looks to me like you made your tool with too big of a socket.
Untitled-3.jpg

The tool should engage the two flats of the "nub" on the right side of the damper rod in this pic.

Untitled-4.jpg

This is a complete and correct 1975 damper rod.
From your description, it does appear that your forks have been molested. There SHOULD be a spacer right below the cap bolt, and each leg should have a SINGLE long spring in it. There is no rebound spring on the damper rod assembly.

The tutorial on the tech called for modifying a 17mm socket. The earlier forks in that thread are different from what I have and what you show. That tool fit on flats on the outside diameter of the top. Still wondering what I have. But at least I know that this particular style takes a much smaller socket.

I think what you may be referring to is the '77 only damper rod top. It has flats and is larger .....

fqDSdgz.jpg

Even so, I don't use a modified socket to get '77 forks apart and back together. Instead, I flatten out the end of some 1/4" steel rod and jam it down in the top. There's a roll pin through the top and the flattened rod jams between it and the inner wall of the damper rod .....

sLeqnRw.jpg

ADaatir.jpg

Back