What have you done to your XS today?

If you are sealing any gas leak issues, look for a sealer called Halomar. gas will have no effect on it. I have cleaned it with acetone but that is the only thing I have found that will cut it. Its actually made to seal flanges that have no gaskets. It will never set up and parts can be taken apart, re smear the Halomar around and reassemble with no leaks. The only thing I have not researched is how much temp. it will take but for every other application, it can't be beat.

If you are sealing any gas leak issues, look for a sealer called Halomar. gas will have no effect on it. I have cleaned it with acetone but that is the only thing I have found that will cut it. Its actually made to seal flanges that have no gaskets. It will never set up and parts can be taken apart, re smear the Halomar around and reassemble with no leaks. The only thing I have not researched is how much temp. it will take but for every other application, it can't be beat.

Halomar - gotcha and thanks very much Doug!

My problem is that fuel leaks down the petcock mounting screws and drips off the screw heads. The only way I got it stopped was to install new fibre washers on the screws, but in the change over to the "newer" tank, I re-used the washers, and, of course one of them now leaks. I don't mind the cost of the washers - but the only source I have found for them is MikesXS and placing an order for $6 worth of washers and paying $15 for delivery is a bit annoying.

Anyhow, I will try the Halomar and would welcome any other suggestions.

Cheers,

Pete

Gary: is a red '76 a particularly rare bike?

I don't ever recall seeing one before - but maybe I just wasn't looking.

Pete

My '76 was the blue model. I never saw a red one until I joined this site, I never even knew they existed. Was that color not available in the states?

IMG_0152.JPG
There a photo of a spectacularly beautiful red '76 on the web somewhere - twin discs and a non-North American looking license tag on the left shock mount. I'm told it is in Australia.

See attached photo - THAT is how I'd like mine to look (getting there but a ways to go yet...).

Pete

Thanks 5T - much appreciated. I'll try to find a tube of that stuff - looks good.

Peter

View attachment 92498 There a photo of a spectacularly beautiful red '76 on the web somewhere - twin discs and a non-North American looking license tag on the left shock mount. I'm told it is in Australia.

See attached photo - THAT is how I'd like mine to look (getting there but a ways to go yet...).

Pete

Hey Pete, that's an Australia registration, old as we are not using them anymore, Nice bike, I have some pictures too somewhere of a 76....

Fuel leak, fiber washers stopped mine, the fuel was coming down from the inside of the tank via the two mounting bolts, the washers stopped that...

Cheers Mick

Thanks 5T - much appreciated. I'll try to find a tube of that stuff - looks good.

Peter

OK - well, I will get some new fibre washers but I'd still like some of that Hylomar stuff. I searched all over Windsor for Hylomar, then I went on the web and was asked to fill-in a web form, so I crossed the bridge to the US - and again, no luck. For some reason, it is available on eBay for $15 USD for a small tube, so I guess I'll get some there. Everyone at the various auto parts stores I check had heard of it and knew that it is great stuff - but nobody actually stocked it. Very odd.

I concur about using Hylomar. Back in the 1970's I was working in a large powerplant, and just happened to mention to some mechanics that I was working on a motorcycle. One mechanic said that I should use Hylomar sealant, and he gave me a tube that was part used. Well I used it and it was just an amazing sealant. Probably the best you can buy. I'm not surprised its sold through aircraft supply sources.

I will be ordering some tomorrow. It's expensive relative to the "traditional" brands like Petmatex, but it's still only around $21 USD/ tube.

Thanks all.

Pete

I got a little work done on the High Pipes for my new scrambler project today. I`ll finish up the other side tomorrow when it`s 55 degrees? I`m making 2 sets of pipes. The ones for this bike pictured will have a 12" muffled reverse megaphone tip. These would be so easy to make on a mandrel bender and would have a one piece design with nice smooth flowing tubes and most of all no welds! Oh well might as well fire up the T.I.G. and get it over with. Why isn`t someone making these?

high pipes 003.JPG high pipes 006.JPG

Back