What have you done to your XS today?

20170414_153514.jpg
I took the bike out for a short ride today ....
she ran like a new machine smothe and responsive.... that seat is a God send ! my but don't hurt !!!!!!
it was just too cold to go very far so I turned around and came back....
there is lot's of gravle and pebbles on the road and usually all over in the corners so I have been taking it really cautious in the turns
later in the summer the roads should be free of the gravle and sand ..... I will wait for the fun then !
.... I let the bike sit for almost a week before starting it this time and it took a long time to fire up but once it fired , the thing hit on both cylinders and ran fine !
All in all the bike is in fantastic shape now....
Bob......

Last edited:
Did a quick mock up of the Betor triple trees on the scrambler frame. Everything fits. Need to decide on tank & seat this weekend. I`d like to start the final assembly in June. We`ll see?
fork mock up 008.JPG fork mock up 004.JPG fork mock up 002.JPG fork mock up 001.JPG fork mock up 007.JPG fork mock up 005.JPG

Maybe so, I bet he has a big grin too. Nice rides. queenslegs.

Awesome day today in southern Ontario. Couldn't decide which one to ride so I took turns and rode them both!View attachment 98182

Good for you! Nice bikes you have there! We have similar bikes, I also have a 650 V-Strom. A lot of mornings I get up early for a ride on my Yamaha, then I hop on my V-Strom for my 20 mile commute to work.

Well heck Marlin.... it's spring time, give them some privicy ! LOL that's why I keep my helmits in the house ! had bees'nests in them 3 times now !
Muddobbers too and they really mess up the lining !!!!! the problem is if ya move them now they will probably leave the young and they'll die
but ya might get away with it .....just put the nest in the same location... mom will find it ! depends on how bad ya scare her !
I have 2 starlings over my front door .... that is their nesting spot ! and they'll set in the tree out by the door and glare at me for using the front door !!!
LOL.....
all I did to the XS650 today was start making a Carb Sync'er ..... that's it !
Bob........
If I leave it out in the open, my cat will get it.

Is there actually a place called Weed, CA? I mean Blueballs, PA and Intercourse, PA I can believe, but Weed, CA?

But, seriously, what's a carb sync'er? Never saw one.

Marlin:
Yep, a town called Weed ! it a tiny lumber town of probably 1500 people or so it's easy to find on the map because it is directly east of Mt.Shasta
and north of Mt.Shasta City by 6 miles on I-5.
Carb sync..... there is a thread I started named "Carb Sync ???" I don't know how to link it yet but I'll figure that out one of these days....
but it has a few drawings and designs and photos in it on how to make one....
go buy some more 3/16"clear tubing and make up some resivours and you'll have one too ...its really easy ! and a must have item !!!
here ya go .... here's the link....http://www.xs650.com/threads/carb-sync.48939/

Bob.........

Last edited:
Got my fork brace from Omar today and my genuine Chinese shocks from Calif. Got paint being mixed and should have it tomorrow. I have to figure out a front fender before I can do any painting but I like to have it on the shelf.

Today I finally figured a work around to fix my tailight, the last item on the list to be ready for safety inspection on my '76. I had examined the diagram and had no idea which one of the blue wires in the bucket belonged to the tailight, plus every wire in there was connected, but I had no power to the last junction block on the back fender. I had one empty socket in the headlight bucket fed by a red/yellow wire, so in the grand tradition of the shade tree bodger, I added a wire direct from it under the tank past the battery and into the rear harness. Key on and it works.
I just realized that when this bike was manufactured, I was riding a 74 XL 350 that I had put a Bassani pipe and knobbies on and making a lot of dust and noise in a disused quarry just west of Guelph and having a fine time waiting for my BA graduation exercises. Time flies.

Last edited:
SAM_5537.JPG SAM_5538.JPG SAM_5539.JPG
Off to the safety inspection tomorrow AM! I am not a mechanic, but I think it should be fine. New Mike's caliper, master cylinder, braided lines, tapered steering bearings, fresh wire harness, changed the mufflers to a nicer looking pair, cleaned up a bunch of things the po did. Glad it is a '76, the wiring is complicated enough without a sidestand ignition cut off - although I do use it all the time on the FJ-09, so easy, pull in the driveway, push out the side stand, bike goes off, key off, done.

I hope you have that thing ancored from the rear Lakeview ! I wouldn't want it to go through the front window in an emergancy stop!
Nice looking bike ! WELL DONE !
good luck getting her passed !
such a PITA to have to get safty inspections and stuff like that ! its just helping you weather you wanted it or not ! LOL
Bob........

I was wondering how those looked on a xs. Looks good. Did it come with that hardware? Or did you make it?

Angus - it came with the hardware - it's somewhat adjustable for width. It installed easily on mine, because I had relocated the turn signals off the headlight bucket. I don't know if the threaded stems on the turn signal housings would be long enough to hold these brackets.

Back