What have you done to your XS today?

Changed my oil last night and found small aluminum shavings. Some about 3mm x 2mm. I'm thinking it's the timing chain, although I never saw any black chunks from the rubber on the chain guides, but 1000 miles ago I pulled the bottom filter and found the same shavings.

At ~60K miles, I think its due for a top end rebuild. Any suggestions?

Marlin72xs, I have the same problem on my later model XS1B. We share the same type 'B' tensioner system, and I suspect the same early cylinders with the tunnel bridge. This type 'B' system allows the tensioner to push the camchain further inward than the type 'A', and, if pushed far enuff, would have the camchain scrubbing that bridge, as in this pic:
XS1B-CylTunnel2.jpg

At 25k miles, my cam is running about 10° retarded, due to chain stretch. I figure that's enuff to create this 'bridge scrubbing' condition. If yours is running as retarded as mine, this may be what you're experiencing...

Marlin72xs, I have the same problem on my later model XS1B. We share the same type 'B' tensioner system, and I suspect the same early cylinders with the tunnel bridge. This type 'B' system allows the tensioner to push the camchain further inward than the type 'A', and, if pushed far enuff, would have the camchain scrubbing that bridge, as in this pic:
View attachment 99506

At 25k miles, my cam is running about 10° retarded, due to chain stretch. I figure that's enuff to create this 'bridge scrubbing' condition. If yours is running as retarded as mine, this may be what you're experiencing...
So you're saying that it is not the cam chain guide in the front that is worn out, but rather the tensioner is pushing my overstretched cam chain into the center piece or bridge between the cylinders. Eh?

Not a blessed thing because the SG is back in Tucson and I'm being held captive in Las Vegas (against my will, of course) by my wife. I'm wishing I could be rideing the same roads I did with the R-69 I had what.....35,36 year ago...where did the time go?

Over the past week, I retorqued the head on the '83's rebuilt engine, rebuilt the master cylinder on the '77 along with flushing the lines and cleaning the caliper piston, and then replaced the petcock and reworked some of the light wiring in the '78.
Some assorted other trivialities too.....lol
Time to ride.

Yah I thought spring was here ! what's this stuff ! snow level is down to 5000ft here and going to be close to freezing tonight !
Rain ,Rain, Go away ! come again some other day ! .....:laughing:
.....I wann'a RIDE !!!!!:bike:
Bob..........

All I know is the Pacific NW has more water and clean air due to wind and photosynthesis than Ever ! Its a full on rain forest /jungle here on the flanks of MtHood.. also more people than ever however..

I am sure allot of you will cringe at this but a fell'a has to do what a fell'a has to do !!!!
.... I pulled the handlebars off my bike put them in the vice and took a 3 foot pipe to them and tweaked them Out a bit on each side
I bent them about 4" to 6" on each side and then put them back on the bike....
WOW what a difference ! their like motocross bars now nice and wide without that nasty buck-horn wrist angle in them like they used to have......
I figured what the heck, I can't afford to buy new ones so I'll just bend the ones I have !
the chrome did not crack and everything seamed to come out just right.... so I'm happy !
here's a pic of the bars now.....
20170515_212005.jpg
the hand grips used to fit in the view of the camera when sitting on the seat.... that's how far they are bent out.
they feel like they will be allot better than they were .... i really like the wider feel to them !
Bob.....

Back