What have you done to your XS today?

It wasn't today but last Sat, the 27th. Took the SG out for a little ride. 20170527_120257.jpg 20170527_133655.jpg 20170527_132452.jpg 20170527_125013.jpg It turned out to be 250+miles.

Monday. I did some maintenace. Tightened steering bearings. Tightened odds and ends. Installed new spark plugs. Starts much easier now.

Last edited:
Today I reassembled the front wheel and put it back on the bike, hopefully for the last time.
resto mod build 005.JPG

Last season the right side quit firing. Took the carb apart, cleaned it up and put it back together. Then the right side fired... but left did not. Sooooo, obviously something got switched from one side to the other. This season will be pulling it off again, replacing everything and putting pods on.

Got my cylinders back today following a +50 rebore. Spent this evening filing the ring gaps to specification and managed to get the rings on to the pistons without breaking any. I heated the rings until hot to the touch as instructed back at high school. Apparently the heat makes them a bit more flexible so less likely to break - I assume this is true even thought I never heard it on TV. Tomorrow I repaint the cylinders as per original before the big reassembly.

Yesterday...Replaced the risers/dampers and added my new euro bend bars. I had a good amount of movement prior to the change and the right side dampers were a mess. oblong if you will. I would guess they've been in there for 40 years. Yet....when I took the old bars off, they were filled with something....lead maybe? IMG_2524.jpg I wasn't able to start the bike or ride to see if I noticed the difference yet between the wieghted vs. non-weighted. I assume based on the new dampers it's going to seem better anyway. :bike:

TimeMachine, Great weather for you!! Amazing how the tree height falls of so quickly heading up hill from that river!

That BMToubleU sure looks like it gets great gas milage (in the back of a pickup).
Kidding aside, have fun with the new ride.

Changed out the headers on the '77. Had a pair of single wall pipes on her, provenance unknown, probably Mikes pipes. They had grayed and begun to rust over these years, discolored enough to where the old stock headers looked better. Stock muffs were cut off as they were rusted through and I figured that I'd use the exhaust adapters to mount the Commandos back on. The 1 3/8 OD X 1 1/2 ID were a good start, as the 1 3/8 OD slide right over the inner pipe of the stock headers, however, the 1 1/2 ID equals 1 5/8 OD which is the same OD as the Commandos.
The Fix.
I picked up some 1 1/2 OD straight exhaust pipe and cut two 1 1/2" sections. I trimmed the flanged end of the 1 3/8 X 1 1/2 ID down to 3/4" length past the start of the reduction, and inserted one of the 1 1/2 OD sections into it leaving 3/4's of an inch exposed to attach the muffler to. That left me with 3/4" of adapter that was exposed. Scrounging around, I found two muffler clamps that we're 3/4" wide, one for each side. I slipped the clamp on to cover the exposed section of the adapter and then put the muffler on with it's 3/4" clamp.

Pretty? A 1 1/2" clamp for both sides instead of two 3/4 inchers would be prettier but this worked and the price was right.

Hey Pete, I'm kinda limited on what I can do computer wise these days and pics are one of the challenges. Old desktop, 1st generation iPad etc. Hoping that the verbal description would produce an image. Maybe I'll get one of them fancy phones for myself, 'specially when I keep taking the wife's when I go out to ride. As it is I can't even put the top of the head back on my avatar.

Hey TM - those look good!

nj - not to worry. It just sounds like you have worked a good solution to the exhaust adapter issue.

Changed the oil, changed the filter, swapped the OEM-style air filters from Mike's for K&N YA-1892 filters. Amazon f'd up the shipping so they're sending me another set for free. :D

....porobably got your town mixed with one of the many othe towns of the same name in another state....;)

Back