What have you done to your XS today?

Yes It IS the Rabbit ! He can leap about..... Look at the bones MAN !!!!!
i can't watch that one without busting out laughing ! LOL
Bob........

While generally playing about in the shed I discovered that the chromed caps on the end of those stock XS glass fuses are the perfect size to use as covers for the mixture screws on BS34s.

I have succumbed to my XS 650 accumulating demon again and bought this 1974 TX650A from a fellow who had planned to do a complete restoration of it. He is unable to proceed with it, so once I get a few other items out of the way, I will try to finish the journey that he started. The allure of this is that it was such a limited production run, 12,150 or so, that they are quite rare. Plus they have had most of the significant frame and engine improvements done the year before.
Only got the head pipes, missing the mufflers and the tank has some small dents, but lots of other new and NOS parts were included. Funny thing, the only cinnamon factory paint part that came with it is a headlight mounting ear, the other one is I think 76 blue. I am thinking that I should research and try to duplicate the factory variant Vegas Green colour. I don't dislike the root beer colour, but the green would pop. The provided gas tank is a different shape than the later Standards, I think that shape was shared with the 72 and 73, a bit more curved than the 75 onward. Anybody got any knowledge of this?
The engine has had the head and barrels dismounted and the base looks to have gotten a bit of storage dust in it, so it looks like a complete dismantle.
Seller told me that his po suffered a heart attack and died while changing the oil on it, so it has a bit of a story too.
I will catalogue and store the bits for a while until I get a couple Specials running well enough to sell. Gonna be a busy summer!

Attachments

• SAM_5631-001.JPG
    SAM_5631-001.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 197
  • SAM_5632.JPG
    SAM_5632.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 195
Been busy in the shed during the off season. Took the motor from the sidecar and put it back in the road bike, built new bike stand and changing a few things. One was the small air filter spigot on the CVK carbs so I machined a couple of collars to enlarge the clamping area and shrunk fit them on. Have also been making and collecting parts for a new sidecar.
2017_carb compressed.jpg
2017spacer compressed.jpg
bike stand compressed.jpg

I pulled the Key switch in order to get the fork lock working.... it'a never worked sense I got the bike....
and I figured the contacts inside the switch were in need of cleaning too.... so......
... So I pulled the switch off the bike and tore into it ... thought I had all the parts memorized for re assembly ....
but little did I know I didn't ! ... anyway after trying every permutation known to man to get the key switch back together again
I came across Peanuts thread on rebuilding the keyswitch ! ....
his documentation of his work was just what I needed and Soon had me back on track !
come to find out GggGary Responded with an answer to my question as to How is the stupid switch supposed to work ? and Low and behold
I had never even tried to make it work like that ! ... so after re assembling the switch and taking it apart one last time to put the spring back in it !
it works a treet ! ......
Never in my life have I ever seen a fork lock work like that , turn off push down, release THEN turn left !!!!!!!!!! not push down and turn left !!!!
.... so I learned allot today when I wasn't even expecting it ! LOL goes to show ya ! ya learn something new every day weather ya want to or not !!!!!
( ya just gott'a look fer it ! )
My thanks to Peanut and GggGary for their timely help !
Bob............

Went for a ride yesterday. Just a 100 miler around Tucson - Marana area. 106f HOT! Hotter today so the SG stays on the bikeport. Darn heatwave!

I just put the ignition switch back in and hooked up the headlight and turn signals is all..... the bike runs and the fork lock works too ! so Success !!!!!
Bob.......

Went for a ride yesterday. Just a 100 miler around Tucson - Marana area. 106f HOT! Hotter today so the SG stays on the bikeport. Darn heatwave!

phew thats hot ! 100 miles is pretty heroic in those temps
We currently have 86F+ outside in the South West of England but as very few houses have Aircon its 95f indoors and we'd die without our powerful fans in every room.

Careful........ riding in that kind of heat .... I used to ride rain snow sleet or hail and in high temps too , but one time it got me...
My green face shield was all scratched up so I decided to take it off.... and ware my sun glasses instead... bad move !
it seams that in the high summer heat with only sunglasses the air alone goes around the sunglasses and dries out your eyes badly
everything was MONO Colored for 2 days the equivalent of being sun-blinded.... for 2 days I couldn't read anything and everything was grey
and my sharp vision went away .... the temp was around 105 deg and I only went about 50 miles but the heat off the road had to be over 200 deg.
I stopped by the river in the park and jumped in and people looked art me like I was nuts ! because that water is like ICE !
probably one of the closest brushes I ever had with heat stroke when not working ! LOL .... I felt like a piece of beef jerky by the time I got home !
..... that heat and wind can dry you out so fast it's scary ! ......
Bob......

Oh I stopped a few times for rehydration. "Drink water" is the mantra here. Especially summer time. I keep 2 bottles of water in my tank bag just in case a Cj's, BK or a McD's or something is not around for a drink/rest.

Hooked up the stainless brake lines and bled the F&R brakes. So far no leaks? Made and installed new throttle cables. Set the wiring box in the frame and that is not going to pass at all. It all worked so I`ll reorganize and reroute all the wires and use all new control switches. I need to get this rebuild done in the next 2 weeks so I can get back to the Scrambler build.
.XS Build 008.JPG XS Build 009.JPG XS Build 010.JPG XS Build 005.JPG XS Build 006.JPG

Back