What have you done to your XS today?

took the gas tank off and sanded off all the rust it aquired over a year sitting in the garage, then put a nice coat of grey primer on it, found alot of imperfections and will need to put some filler on and sand again-yup I'm going to do the paint also!

Nice man!
I had a shop do my tank in a satin black and the first day I put gas in it and spill a little it stains the paint!
I spill paint on my Harley tank all the time and no stains. Make sure to use some good paint that is resistant to oil and gas.

Getting ready to go for a quick test ride. Fixed my float bowl fill issue yesterday and upped my main to 145. Feeling optimistic!

Checked The SG's float levels and adjusted one. Balanced carbs by ear. Rode her this morning and she felt smoother and more powerful.

Swapped my original 14mm Nissin MC for a 1/2" Nissin MC from a Yamaha XV250. The XV MC offers:
  • Nissin quality with good spares availability
  • Correct profile/angles to fit Rototiller handlebars - A must!!
  • Left hand 10mm thread for the mirror
  • Correct brake light switch socket
This all means it can be directly swapped with the original with minimal effort.

The change from 14mm to 1/2" is an 18% reduction in piston area. I tested the brakes out this morning and there is a significant improvement. That old wooden feeling has largely gone and less effort is required when breaking. I can now feel the front suspension lowering when I come to a complete stop around town. The response is much better when hitting the brake very hard a higher speeds.

MC3.jpg

I believe the best swap is supposed to be to an 11mm MC but 1/2" (12.7mm) seems OK too.

Edit 17/09/17: Just did a short 50 mile run and the brakes are excellent with good feel and response.

Last edited:
Hey Paul, do you have 1 or 2 front disc's for front brakes?

I rode the "SG" 200+ miles. I'm going to post some of the pics in the Roadside rest area and in the Old Gas station threads too.

Attachments

• 20170916_151102.jpg
    20170916_151102.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 20170916_151144.jpg
    20170916_151144.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 20170916_151123.jpg
    20170916_151123.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 20170916_152408.jpg
    20170916_152408.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 131
Yeah, the area has grown on me. USAF stationed me here in '87 after 5 yrs of Germany. Been thawing out ever since...

Today for my XS, I made a plan! I am going to take all my engine castings to finish line coatings to have them coated flat black ceramic. I am planning to go to Phoenix in March for some spring training action. If I go down thru Las Vegas, I can drop the head and cylinder in Henderson at Diamond cut with the understanding that I will pick them up on my way home. I will also take the side covers to Tucson and drop them at Retroblast to be vapor blasted and just hang around Tucson for ,hopefully, a couple days until they are ready to pick up. Now is that a great plan, or what? I can hardly wait to see what part of it will turn to crap and prevent all or part of it from working out.

I think you mean "Diamond Heads" right? I wonder if that actually works for keeping the motor cooler. It sure looks cool though. Post some pics, if you get it done. I've never seen it on an XS.

The "SG" ran ok for the long Sat trip but. I could tell she needed some serious tuneing. Today I did a full tune-up. Valve adjustment, cam chain adjustment, timing with timing light. Mixture adjustment and Carb balance by ear and hand. Can hardly wait to try her out!

Installing new fork seals and scrapers on the '75, and refurbishing the lower tubes:

007.JPG

Somehow lost my favorite 1/4" flathead screwdriver o_O, signs of being an Old Fart, I guess.
Altho I have a multitude of screwdrivers, I want another nice, sharp 1/4", so I'm grinding down the end of this very heavy vintage tool I got at a flea market this year that was broken off. The handle is made from multiple layers of brass, steel, and some other substance, maybe its Bakelite (??), its got a soft texture to it. None of the "old timers" at the flea market could ID it.

017.JPG

Well Dude you got yourself a nice little project there! Gonna buff up the lower legs? That'll look nice.

I like that old screwdriver you got there. I was looking at the brass cap on the end of the handle, it almost looks like it was made to be hit with a hammer. You said the end was broke off, you don't suppose it was an old wood chisel do you?

Well Dude you got yourself a nice little project there! Gonna buff up the lower legs? That'll look nice.

I like that old screwdriver you got there. I was looking at the brass cap on the end of the handle, it almost looks like it was made to be hit with a hammer. You said the end was broke off, you don't suppose it was an old wood chisel do you?
Yes, in fact, the end is riddled with hammer marks. However, four antique sellers at this large weekly flea market, all who sell old tools, agreed that the tool is so heavily built that it defies the usual suspects, such as a chisel, which is my hunch, too. It has numerous numbers stamped into it. I suspect it was hand made by someone for a special purpose, perhaps a high-end, small production factory. Probably a chisel :D made to last a lifetime, and more. I love it :heart:

Very little, life got in the way. I have a 1980 xs650sg that has not been plated since 1997.Dug it out of a corner under a bunch of boxes and junk I had no idea I even had a bike! The last one I remember having I traded for hanging and finishing the drywall in our new house...in 1982.Long story family member owed wife money and I was doing the 30 days out 3 days home otr truck driver. They gave her the bike it got covered and forgot about. Got it up on center stand put air in tires and started spraying kroil and bp blaster, got tranny into neutral, got rear caliper freed up someone had left the plugs out so I filled them with kroil,bp blaster and diesel fuel. Did this every 2 or 3 days now it turns east with the kicker, Got the cylinders soaking in Mobil 1 super 1300 now.

Took the "SG" out to go to Carl's Jr for breakfast. Started pretty easy. Ran good. Got to thinking and I need to torque the head....that means to check the cam chain and timing......again....LOL!

Back