What have you done to your XS today?

Went out and fired up the XS650,.... it surprised me and didn't fire right up ! it ground about 10 seconds then Fired....
I'm sure the problem is the battery it's been setting a month and the battery was down... although it's a new battery from walmart this year... I realise that means nothing ! those cheap batteries are lucky to last a year ! ...I guess I better put it on a charger rather than let it set doing nothing........
Bob........

Also, do I have these hoses hooked up correctly? I wasn't sure about the top middle one specifically

Attachments

• IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 177
Completed the install of new boots on the '75 and refurbed the lower tubes with a "brushed" finish.

75xs650 001.JPG

....and resolved the last of the small oil leaks on the '83. I found that the Mikes cam seal I had installed 2 months ago was leaking, so I put in a Yamaha seal from Boats, and all is hunky dory, now.

Nice nite for a picture and ride to the gas station.

75xs650 011.JPG

Note: I've noticed that if I click on a full size picture, it expands slightly, and the focus is much better. Wonder why this is so.......

Popped my carb cherry....right out of the right intake. Never did put the butterfly plate back on the top...big mistake. Right carb Shifted enough to pop the brass T almost out and tear the o-ring. Gas everywhere... and probably one of the hottest days this month to push it home lol. Live and learn. Gone are the Phillips screws on the clamps, Allen installed after a quick running over to HD for o-rings.

IMG_5413.JPG

If the rest of your bike is as nice looking as your carbs, frame and polishing then I am jealous!!

I found that the best part about Allen screws is they make it very easy to remove the float bowls. This means you can adjust the fuel level without having to remove the carburetors from the bike.

I pulled the seat, and battery and put it on the 2amp charger over night... 1st day of Autumn brought with it the first ice in the bird bath.!
I may get one more ride before the weather turns to WINTER here...but it's not looking too good !
Bob.......

Well, I havn't road it sense.... but I will.... as it runs ! I am thinking seriously about pulling the crank this winter and trying to fix it myself
....probably a fools errand, but i cannot do it any other way.... if I destroy it in the attempt I haven't lost that much because it's just about worthless the way it is. I don't think I could enjoy the ride now knowing the crank is slipping or has slipped like taking a ride on a bomb waiting for it to go off ! LOL :yikes:
Yah getting the title is my biggest problem but if the crank can't be saved what's the point in that..... to say I am bummed out is putting it mildly
...... especially given my financial situation, if I had money I would have already had it licensed and sent the crank out to have it fixed and new bearings installed.... but I don't,.... and I may be looking at a different machine in the future. I like the o'l girl but if the motor is in such shape that I don't run it...what's the point ?
Bob.......

Dang it Bob , Not fun to hear your troubles with the XS ! You can fix it , you will manage if even you need an engine. There are engines out there, you just have to find it.. Now I have that in mind as well... Summer is over here in the PNW and Im moving to a place to be more of a garage shop. Hang in there Bob !

Thanks TM ! yah I pulled the clutch off and in the process turned the starter on a few seconds and of course it fired up and idled but I turned it off immediately.... but I did that to see if the crank wiggled and sure enough it does... only about 1/32 to 1/16" but it does wiggle ! it's not true at all..... I was looking for what is making that sound and i found it !...... the primary drive gear has worn the clutch basket some and I can turn the clutch basket by hand and feel some slop on the primary drive gear.... that's the noise !
so to fix it I need a new primary drive gear , clutch basket and crankshaft or... jerry rig it and see if I can straighten the crank myself, I've done it before on a single cyl crank...so I guess I can do it on this one too... it's iffy but possible ! and run the primary and clutch basket as they are
it will still make the noise though and that is what I wanted to get rid of ! LOL
....I dunno if it's worth it to be quite honest.... it runs now and all that, if i tear into it it may never run again simply because of the parts issue
most people can afford a $50.00 part.... i can't so that makes it rather difficult to repair something correctly ! especially when even a used crank will set ya back $200 bucks and you have no idea what the bearings are like so they should be replaced ...and if your going to do that just do it to the original one..... I've contemplated boxing it up and sending the crank to Hugh's or whoever it is that does cranks... but I have no idea what he would charge to do it.... $500 bucks is out'a my league !
sense I got the bike running I've put on about 50 to 75 miles on it on the back roads.... and the sound is getting louder the more miles I put on it
.... you know that Wrrrr sound I was complaining about ! .... now it'a just as loud as the exhaust ! ....
so as far as the XS650 is concerned it's hurt bad.... and fixing it takes money which I have very little of .... no very little of doesn't really explain the situation here....." if steam boats were a nickle a dozen, I couldn't buy the echo off their whistle" ! $50.00 a month Max is about all I can spend and I almost always regret doing that,.... because we run out of milk or food of some sort before payday !
but life sux then ya die so what else is new....LOL
so I dunno what to do.... I guess tear it apart and see if I can straighten the crank this winter. weld the pin and then re assemble
and hope I can afford the parts I'll need when I re assemble it..... that is as good a plan as I can come up with !
Bob........

Plan "b" you can use you mechanical skills to gain financially ! Other than remote, small town location , can you possibly use your skills for somebody who is not able ? Mechanical skill is an asset these days !

Muddergirl12 : Not me but someone should ! you might put the idea up in the forsale section ! include the price Please !
Bob......

Back