What have you done to your XS today?

Well I made at least a half a$$ed start on the 1978 Special I have had sitting in barn for many years. This one spent some time at a vocational school where it was to get new wiring.

Well all I can see is they had removed the main harness and reserve lighting unit. Back when I first got this bike I had purchased a new main harness from Mikes XS so I have at least a start in that direction.

Engine is free so there is hope in that regard. It was making some clicking noise when turned over with kick starter but after a quickie timing chain adjustment that stopped.

This bike seems to have had a rough life in some aspects as many screw heads are wallowed out and there is a assortment of mismatched fasteners for some things also there were no filters in air boxes. They were clean inside so I'm hoping they were removed while it was sitting at the school and not run that way.

To my surprise the rear disk brake does work although the caliper needs a light tap to get it to free up. Have seal kits for both calipers and front master so with luck that should not be a major problem. Might even go crazy and put a second caliper on the front as I have one on the shelf for that option.

Spent half of the day assembling the mock up scrambler project and less than 1,000.000th of a second to realize that the DT175 tank, seat and high pipe just "stinks out loud" !! I couldn`t get them off the bike and back on the shelf fast enough. At least I didn`t cut the tank and make any seat mounting brackets. The only good thing to come out of today`s monkey spank was the combination Betor, Ceriani, Cheney, Yamaha, Bultaco, Buchanan, All Balls, Magura, Emgo, Bates front end fit like a glove. So did the modified Radian swing arm and shocks.
scrambler build 001.JPG scrambler build 003.JPG scrambler build 005.JPG

....of a second to realize that the DT175 tank, seat and high pipe just "stinks out loud" !! I couldn`t get them off the bike and back on the shelf fast enough.
While I couldn't agree more on the seat and pipes Phil, I've always had a soft spot for the DT tanks. If you could move it up a half inch or so and forward about 3 inches.... I think it would look awesome on that bike.

Yeah I`ve been nauseous ever since I first saw the mistake. What was I thinking? I did however order what will be my "Final Answer" on choice of tanks and plan on looking into a Counterbalance seat. Pipes are easy.

Thanks guys but what I`m really good at is changing my mind in the middle of a project, usually more than once!

No this one gets old school shocks. Looking for a pair of NOS Hammerhead ones.

Its been a good day so far in the garage workshop.

Dismantled the swingarm of Jimi the '80 Winter Bike due to worn bushings, and found that this somewhat-neglected bike I spent $500 on last year had been greased by the PO's over these 37 years. That is, I found nice grease, no water and minimal corrosion on the shaft and tube, so I will be ordering only the bearings. Even the seals are in OK shape. Then, Jimi will be back on the road when we get some sun and upper 40's temps.

Jimi 002.JPG

Jimi 004.JPG

....and to top it off, I got in the mail the only part that has been missing on my RD350, the left case "cap" for the clutch adjuster. Reasonable, I think at $15 and free shipping (EBay).
Jimi 006.JPG

Overhauled the carbs, got spark, almost ready to start her up.

004.JPG

Its been a good day so far in the garage workshop.

Dismantled the swingarm of Jimi the '80 Winter Bike due to worn bushings, and found that this somewhat-neglected bike I spent $500 on last year had been greased by the PO's over these 37 years. That is, I found nice grease, no water and minimal corrosion on the shaft and tube, so I will be ordering only the bearings. Even the seals are in OK shape. Then, Jimi will be back on the road when we get some sun and upper 40's temps.

View attachment 110877

View attachment 110878

....and to top it off, I got in the mail the only part that has been missing on my RD350, the left case "cap" for the clutch adjuster. Reasonable, I think at $15 and free shipping (EBay).
View attachment 110880
Overhauled the carbs, got spark, almost ready to start her up.

View attachment 110879

Well Dude, you're on a roll! How nice to find a swing arm that isn't shot. And hey now! I am anxiously waiting to see how your RD comes out. Please keep us posted.

Finally finished my attempt at making a rack to hold my backpack. The frame of the pack just slips over the rack facing forwards so also gives a little back support for those long rides.

Front.JPG Side.JPG Brackets.JPG Top.JPG

I would have liked the rack to be close to vertical except it just looked wrong compared to the angles on the bike. I may add a tray at the back later to hold a petrol can and also fit a super bright LED brake light behind the three holes. The rack makes use of the bolts that hold the tail light in place.

Back