What have you done to your XS today?

Wow Dan - those are some serious major-massive forks!

No more flexiflyer for you!

Paul - too late! I'm back in the land of the Frozen Chosen now.

Besides - I don't think I saw any Japanese riders in Arizona. Everyone seemed to be either an American or a Canadian....:D

Dang!!

Pete

Last edited:
Pete's Excellent Desert Adventure - Part III
Well folks, Saturday, Dec. 30 really was a special day for me.

My cousin and I rendezvoused on our Harleys at 8:00 AM and then hit road into Phoenix to Daniel Black’s home where we met he and Mailman at about 9:15 AM (Phoenix is a BIG spread-out city indeed).

BELOW: two very pretty XS650 Standards - Daniel’s red 77D “Stella” and Mailman's beautiful 76C calendar girl “My 60th Birthday Present”.
4209917D-724A-49FA-9F06-F3F1199A360F.jpeg

D6DE6D3A-C168-4518-9D64-E8E73916958F.jpeg

Let me tell you all - both Daniel's and Mailman's bikes are just as pretty in-person as they looked in the calendar nominations. They both really sparkle and sound strong and tight - with that sexy bark that only an XS650 can emit. The four of us then lit out back across town for the breakfast spot where we were joined by Axman857 for breakfast. Azman had some "lubricant containment" issues on his way from Tucson (about 2 hours south of us) but he is a very capable guy and made it OK.

Following breakfast, we rode up to Lake Sujauro (sp?) - about 30-40 min of riding on spectacular twisties through the desert mountains north-east of Phoenix. At the lake we chatted for a while, took some photos and a Boeing B-17 flew overhead (WOW!) Then Daniel, AZman and I rode back to Phoenix in search of good BBQ and Mailman and my cousin split-off for home. The three BBQ Amigos went to the famous Little Miss BBQ in Phoenix and holy cow (get it?? ;) ) the food was awesome and we even got to meet Daniel’s wife, who joined us for lunch! After that, we parted and I went to return the Harley to Eagle Rider Rentals near Phoenix Airport.

The entire day was a total blast: buddies, bikes and BBQ! Some photos of the day are below - enjoy!

Thank-you so much Daniel, Mailman and AZMan857 for making time for our visit and to all of you out there in XS650-Forum-Land - I can say that many were mentioned by name and you were missed. This is my second meet-up of XS650.com friends and while they do take a little effort, both events have been absolutely terrific.

We really are a fortunate group.

BELOW: The breakfast group in Phoenix (l-r): Pete's cousin Grant, Pete, AZMan857, Mailman, Daniel Black.
AZ_Breakfast - XS650.jpg

3BFD4430-06FA-4645-A10F-AAE8E04C02EE.jpeg

ABOVE: AZMan857 (left) and his blue & gold Special, Pete and Daniel Black (in the Bilt jacket) up at the lake. You can see a bit of Daniel's "Stella" behind Pete and Mailman's "My 60th Birthday Present" just behind Daniel.

BELOW: AZMan857 and his bike, Pete and Daniel again with a rear view of Pete's cousin. Daniel's red '77 Standard (Stella) and Mailman's bikes are in the background.
1A7D6417-0EA4-441E-86FA-56EB2E47DF81.jpeg

BELOW: Mailman in the foreground with AZMan857, Pete and Daniel (Pete is explaining how much longer than an XS650 Standard his 2016 Harley Street Glide wheelbase is - and thus why the Harley turns so much more slowly...).
A3BD25A4-73D1-44F7-8625-95E9E29CC0A9.jpeg

....and the final chapter on the Harley Street Glide...
The Eagle Rider rental experience was largely OK - BUT - I was pretty damned annoyed to run into another E-R renter on my second last day who was also on a Street Glide - but had paid much less than half of what I was paying for exactly the same rental during the same four day period.

We're talking a difference of more than $560 USD - which is big money to me.

Apparently, a few days after I booked in early November, they announced an offer called Harley for the Holidays at $100/day - and I missed it. I called and mentioned this to them and they eventually offered me a 10% discount on my rental - but I am still annoyed and will likely search for an alternative if I rent again. Sorry about the downer - but that is a pretty sharp (and not in a good way) business practice in my book.

Overall, I did like the bike, but found it to be ponderous. I am used to big heavy bikes (ever ridden an ST1300?) but the Harley seemed to try hard to feel heavier than it was while other large bikes I have ridden appeared to work to disguise their weight.

Anyhow - the H-D is a cool ride and I liked it....but, not for a long-term purchase.

Cheers,

Pete

BELOW: Pete's 2016 H-D Street Glide (foreground) and cousin Grant's H-D Classic - with a typical Arizona landscape in the background.
H-D_Street-Glide.jpg

H-D_Street-Glide_rear.jpg

BELOW:
Harley-Davidson Street Glide dash - handsome but not particularly easy to use (IMO).
H-D_Street-Glide - dash.jpg

Last edited:
Today? Gonna start the bike up...
Yesterday baked the oil strainer JB Weld repair and the Sikaflex 527 repair of inlet manifolds. .baked in the Aussie sun all day resting on the bootlid of my car.
Fitted them up late arvo after draining oil yet again, still a bit of crap in the secondary filter.
Had a look inside carbs while they were off, looked ok inside and sprayed carb cleaner through them.
Bolted manifolds back on with a smear of copper heat silicon on mating surface to gasket
Refitted air cleaner cans and sprayed K&N filter oil on filter foams.
Left overnight for further curing of repairs.
This is all on XS650 Special as I dont own a Harley.
Gonna put more Penrite 20-60 mineral diesel oil in soon and fire the bike up.
Should be almost rideable soon.
Ridiculously tight steering head bearings readjusted to correct.
Sealmate had stopped most of fork seal weepage and the 25mm pvc pipe spacers on top of fork springs plus 20mls per leg of Moreys Oil Stabiliser have firmed up the forks nicely
Fresh brake fluid flushed through, chain adjusted and lubed.
Looking good for a first proper ride later.

Pete's Excellent Desert Adventure - Part III
Well folks, Saturday, Dec. 30 really was a special day for me.

My cousin and I rendezvoused on our Harleys at 8:00 AM and then hit road into Phoenix to Daniel Black’s home where we met he and Mailman at about 9:15 AM (Phoenix is a BIG spread-out city indeed).

Let me tell you all - both Daniel's and Mailman's bikes are just as pretty in-person as they looked in the calendar nominations. They both really sparkle and sound strong and tight - with that sexy bark that only an XS650 can emit. The four of us then lit out back across town for the breakfast spot where we were joined by AZMan357 for breakfast. AZMan had some "lubricant containment" issues on his way from Tucson (about 2 hours south of us) but he is a very capable guy and made it OK.

Following breakfast, we rode up to Lake Sujauro (sp?) - about 30-40 min of riding on spectacular twisties through the desert mountains north-east of Phoenix. At the lake we chatted for a while, took some photos and a Boeing B-17 flew overhead (WOW!) Then Daniel, AZMan357 and I rode back to Phoenix in search of good BBQ and Mailman and my cousin split-off for home. The three BBQ Amigos went to the famous Little Miss BBQ in Phoenix and holy cow (get it?? ;) ) the food was awesome and we even got to meet Daniel’s wife, who joined us for lunch! After that, we parted and I went to return the Harley to Eagle Rider Rentals near Phoenix Airport.

The entire day was a total blast: buddies, bikes and BBQ! Some photos of the day are below - enjoy!

Thank-you so much Daniel, Mailman and AZMan357 for making time for our visit and to all of you out there in XS650-Forum-Land - I can say that many were mentioned by name and you were missed. This is my second meet-up of XS650.com friends and while they do take a little effort, both events have been absolutely terrific.

We really are a fortunate group.

BELOW: The breakfast group in Phoenix (l-r): Pete's cousin Grant, Pete, AZMan357, Mailman, Daniel Black.
View attachment 111558
0771bf53-9313-4024-9eaa-eddfd45d44b2-jpeg.111410

ABOVE: AZMan357 (left) and his blue & gold Special, Pete and Daniel Black (in the Bilt jacket) up at the lake. You can see a bit of Daniel's "Stella" behind Pete and Mailman's "My 60th Birthday Present" just behind Daniel.

BELOW: AZMan357 and his bike, Pete and Daniel again with a rear view of Pete's cousin. Daniel's red '77 Standard (Stella) and Mailman's bikes are in the background.
79a8735e-5a61-49dc-bf5b-477c9a4cadea-jpeg.111411

BELOW:
Mailman in the foreground with AZMan357, Pete and Daniel (Pete is explaining how much longer than an XS650 Standard his 2016 Harley Street Glide wheelbase is - and thus why the Harley turns so much more slowly...).
2e8c4adc-c35f-4245-b13f-11567bb14b51-jpeg.111412

....and the final chapter on the Harley Street Glide...
The Eagle Rider rental experience was largely OK - BUT - I was pretty annoyed to run into another E-R renter on my second last day who was also on a Street Glide - but had paid much less than half of what I was paying for exactly the same rental during the same four day period. We're talking a difference of more than $560 USD - which is big money to me. Apparently, a few days after I booked in early November, they announced an offer called Harley for the Holidays at $100/day - and I missed it. I called and mentioned this to them and they eventually offered me a 10% discount on my rental - but I am still annoyed and will likely search for an alternative if I rent again. Sorry about the downer - but that is a pretty sharp (and not in a good way) business practice in my book.

Overall, I did like the bike, but found it to be ponderous. I am used to big heavy bikes (ever ridden an ST1300?) but the Harley seemed to try hard to feel heavier than it was while other large bikes I have ridden appeared to work to disguise their weight. Anyhow - the H-D is a cool ride and I liked it....but, not for a long-term purchase.

Cheers,

Pete

BELOW: Pete's 2016 H-D Street Glide (foreground) and cousin Grant's H-D Classic - with a typical Arizona landscape in the background.
View attachment 111559

View attachment 111561

BELOW:
Harley-Davidson Street Glide dash - handsome but not particularly easy to use (IMO).
View attachment 111560
A photo (top) for the XS650 History Books.
Wish I had been there.

After the oily run to PHX(as Max Pete mentioned earlier) and back I got online and ordered 3 clutch pushrod seals. They are on the way here and UPS tracking sez they will be here Friday night! Plan is to pop one in and clean the bike up for a Sat run to somewhere....Oh, Max Pete, It's azman857., not 357. 857 is first 3 of ZIP codes (think mail) . I'm not a son of a gun.....LOL!

Dang - sorry about the number mixup AZMan - I was typing the first post on my tiny little iPhone.

I’m sure glad you made it back OK - and thanks for making the run to Phoenix!

Pete

I was going to make that run for 4 reasons , come hell or high water!
1. Meet Max Pete
2.See how good this BBQ I've been hearing about for 9 mo. is
3. Ride with Mailman, DanielBlack and Max Pete.
4. It was someplace I hadn't ridden to before.

Last edited:
All good reasons azman! Glad you made it OK!

Plan is to pop one in and clean the bike up for a Sat run to somewhere

Please post the pics azman. All us northern boys gotta live vicariously right now through you southern guys who enjoy an extended riding season!

Indeed - thanks again for making the trip. I’m glad you made it back safe and sound Azman - but I figured that if you could keep an Aardvark in the air, nursing a 650 a couple of hours would be doable.

Good luck with the push rod seal!

Pete

Back