What have you done to your XS today?

Re: 3416 I did mangle up the first seals. Proved that chamfering the hole is important. Lubed up the second seal and placed it in place and tapped it in with a socket. Sat afternoon I went for an 80 mile run around Tucson. Not as spirited as the PHX run but, seems the rear tire was dry and the oil level the same as before the ride. I'll call the new seal a success for now.
BTW I did check the torque on the sprocket. It had loosened. Sooo bent the lock washer off and applied rear brake and re torqued the 36mm nut. Bent the lockwasher in 2 places against the nut.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a source besides Mike's XS for that clutch rod bushing?

Hey folks - a Forum member wrote and told me that he couldn’t see all of the photos I posted in my last episode of my Arizona trip (post 3404 in this thread). I have re-done the photos in that post and added a couple of new ones as well.

Please PM me if you’re still having trouble seeing the piccys.

Pete

Last edited:
Edit to correct post: McMaster Carr have this clutch push rod bushing that has been mentioned on the forum azman. It would however appear that it is too long.
Please see 2M's post #3448 below and Pete's post #3451 below before you use these.
My apologies all.

I have a couple but haven't got round to installing one of them yet. On the wait till it warms up list.

Clutch Push Rod Bushing 1.jpg

Clutch Push Rod Bushing 2.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up guys! I checked the pushrod/bushing fit and it seemed a bit loose. But I'm running "as is" until this seal blows. I got a 3rd seal so I'll get a few bushings sometime until then.

A heads up on that clutch pushrod bushing.

The clutch pushrod bushing is supposed to be 8mm long, but the recess in the mainshaft is deep enough to allow a 12mm deep bushing. However, there's an oiling hole in there in the mainshaft, oil delivery from the needle bearings, supplying oil down the mainshaft, alongside the pushrod, to the rightside tranny passages.

This diagram shows the oiling hole, where a 12mm bushing would block it.
Bush-OilHole.jpg

The distance from the mainshaft's edge to that oiling hole is 11mm.
MainShaft-OilHole.jpg
MainshaftOilHole.jpg

All that came from this thread:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/grinding-scraping-noise-in-5th-gear.42928/#post-428563

So - it seems to me that an 8mm long bushing could driven-in to have its end flush with the LH end of the pocket in the shaft - BUT - a if a 12mm long bushing was driven in that far (I.e. flush) - it would block that little oil passage and cut off lubrication to critical transmission components.

Am I correct?

The next thought might be to drive the 12mm bushing in only to the 8mm depth - BUT - then the protruding 4mm would interfere with the clutch shaft seal - n’est-ce pas?

PS - I haven’t yet been into this part of the bike.

Last edited:
Sooooo....what a smart fella oughta do is shorten that 12mm bushing back to 8mm in length (and dress the ground end to eliminate any burrs).

Huh, good catch 2M. Man, how do you know all this stuff?
Ah, just caught the link to that other thread, but still.....man.

I just went out to my Sub-Zero shop and did some measuring. I have both McMaster Carr and Mike's bushings.

McMaster Carr bushings 12.07mm long.
Mike's/XS Direct bushing 9.88mm long.

Looks like Prof Pete's got the solution. Wow, sure glad this came up before I did this job. Probably would have just used the McMaster Carr part and never noticed.

Thanks guys!

I got the frame back from PC last week and starting putting this junk back together.... its been so damn cold..... the living room made the most sense
View attachment 111721
Great picture and its looking super good.
The living room tends to be an underutilized venue in our houses.

Back