1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by I am Carbon, Nov 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. halfmile

halfmile XS650 Addict

kansas
    Well this is it for me with model airplane hobby. Why read the instructions when you can just look at the pics and just "Fire it Up". Pics speak for themselves. Now here`s the ironic part, I`m actually "signed off" to fly the Cessna 150 Aerobat. I can certainly fly the real thing better than I can this little piece of junk. My physical is on the 25th of this month so that will determine if I keep my ticket or not.
    scrambler 006.JPG scrambler 007.JPG scrambler 008.JPG scrambler 009.JPG

2. JimD54

JimD54 Mechanic, 1968-Present.

That made me laugh Phil.... It's a well kept secret that "real" airplanes are much easier to fly than the models. Good luck on your 3rd class...:)

robinc likes this.
  3. halfmile

halfmile XS650 Addict

kansas
    Back to the XS650 scrambler project, today I got my new seat from Counter Balance Cycles. "Perfect". I couldn`t be more pleased. It`s hard to believe I finally got something that was right the first time and I didn`t have to redo it! This is "My Final Answer" for the seat-tank combo so now I can start changing my mind about other stuff like pipes, tires, fenders, bars etc.
    scrambler 002.JPG scrambler 012.JPG

Signal, colebrooker, dts66 and 9 others like this.
  4. JimD54

Damn, that is a nice seat!
    I bet it would look good behind that DT tank:rolleyes:

5. halfmile

halfmile XS650 Addict

kansas
  6. JimD54

Hell yes Phil!!!
    Bring the front up a tad so it's parallel with the seat (or down in the back), fair in the back a little.... I like it better than the white tank. That one's a little too boxy for my likin'.

motorbikerx likes this.
  7. halfmile

halfmile XS650 Addict

kansas
    I think that DT tank is going to look great on one of your next projects.:thumbsup:

JimD54 likes this.
  8. MrBultaco

MrBultaco it ran before parked

Are those K-70s on you scrambler?
    Lookin' good so far 1/2mile

JimD54 likes this.
  9. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Great looking seat! I gotta say I like the DT tank also, but it's your bike. Follow your heart and you can't go wrong, you only have to make one person happy!

JimD54 likes this.
  10. MaxPete

MaxPete My float bowls seem to have stopped leaking!

Very nice indeed!

11. colebrooker

colebrooker XS650E US import

Sorry but I'm inclined to favour the white tank.

12. jussumguy

jussumguy Struggle with the gorn

IMG_0379.JPG Figured out why it died last spring and fixed that. Replaced the new Chinese coil with a green dyna coil. Put new fork seals and fork oil. Waiting for the new battery to arrive. I should do some exercise I suppose, anticipating my long walk home during the next test ride. : )

13. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie

Interesting frame and other parts as well. Would you gives us a bit of a run down please Jussum.

14. MaxPete

MaxPete My float bowls seem to have stopped leaking!

Indeed! It isn’t everyday you see a Honda wing logo on a Yamaha tank.

15. jussumguy

Champion frame and swing arm
    Early 90s cbr900rr forks
    Mid 90s xr600 front brake
    Mid 90s cr500 rear brake
    Suzuki rm125 rear hub
    Old Akront 19" rims
    KLR 650 front hub
    80 xs 650 engine
    Pamco ignition
    Stock charging system with radio shack/Chrysler mod
    Seat pan is early 70s Kawasaki 350
    Tank is early Honda xl350
    Pipes are home made from a swap meet VW header
    Carbs are '79s I think
    Back fender is cb 450
    Headlight is from a sportster
    Controls are from whatever was available
    Throttle is from a kx 65
    It's a real freak show, been working on it off and on for about seven years as time permits

16. gggGary

gggGary Feed me, feed me NOW!

Very cool! Those rounded side covers really grab me.

jussumguy likes this.
  17. jussumguy

Recycled aluminum from a scrapper!

ThatXS650Guy and gggGary like this.
  18. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

I really like your bike! You need to take a bunch of photos from different angles in good light and show it off to us!

jussumguy likes this.
  19. willis

willis XS650 Addict

Jussum... like your pipes. Do you have any issues with clearance when checking your dipstick?

20. jussumguy

Ok I'll take some pictures this weekend. It's a little like the altered toys in the movie "toy story" where the delinquent boy next door pulls the arms and legs off one doll and puts them on another. It's a work in progress and there are things I will change as I need. I want to change the inner rear fender to get more room to load the battery from the side instead of the top. That way I can use a bigger battery. The pipes are cool to look at but my ankles touch them occasionally when I'm standing and riding. You can check the oil easy enough when they are cold. If it's been running you have to give them a few minutes to cool off. The tank holds a little less than 2 gallons. We'll see if that works , but I'll bet I will have to carry gas in my back pack. It's geared low, kind of loud and kind of intense to ride.