What have you done to your XS today?

Today I made the templates and cut out the front fender support. Fender itself is hand formed from Revive Custom Motorcycles. "Excellent" quality for sure. That makes 2 items from Road Island I couldn`t or didn`t have to improve on! What`s up with that?? I`m almost out of excuses, time to start on the skid plate. 5 Robins in the yard this morning! Spring is here!!
front fender 001.JPG front fender 002.JPG front fender 004.JPG front fender 005.JPG front fender 006.JPG front fender 007.JPG front fender 009.JPG

Very nice Phil!!!
Who's gaiters are those?

Their mine. I`ve got the receipt. Just Kidding:laugh2: Actually their cheap (4.95) Chinese JUNK. These actually fit better than the $25 set I got here in the U.S. Their hard as a rock and probably won`t last long. Millions of them on eBait.

Nothing too special. After a long, high speed run like I did on the 30 Dec, I give the SG a valve adjustment. The valves get a bit noisy. Seems there's always one intake and one exhaust, never on the same cylinder that is loose. Maybe just a .001" but the valves are noisy. I need to get the swingarm greased. It's been a while.

skid plate temp 006.JPG skid plate temp 005.JPG skid plate temp 007.JPG skid plate temp 008.JPG skid plate temp 004.JPG
Made a template for the skid plate and transferred it to the aluminium plate. I added more holes after this pic was taken. Tomorrow I`ll bend and then drill the holes and polish. Now I know why I prolonged this and why nobody does this. Harder than I thought it would be. Maybe I can add to that by changing my mind a few more times.:umm:

Last edited:
Today I cut out the aluminium and drilled pilot holes. Bent to fit the contour of the frame and fit the 5 mounting holes. I actually remembered to tighten the front motor mount and the lower frame rail center mount to bring the frame together then drill the mounting holes. No File necessary for a change?? Drilled some perferations then stood back and looked at it for a hour deciding if I liked it or not. Never came to a conclusion. Thought about tapering the top corners? (last pic). Tomorrow I`ll brush finish the inside and polish the outside. This has been a real Pain in the Ass!! At least when this is done I can start on the Scrambler Exhaust Pipes.:)
skid plate 001.JPG skid plate 003.JPG skid plate 004.JPG skid plate 005.JPG skid plate 006.JPG skid plate 007.JPG skid plate 008.JPG

halfmile, that looks cool and funcional. Well done!

Rode the SG to Cj for breakfast. Ran really smooth with the valve adjustment it got yesterday. Nearly froze my tuckus off though! Started to rethink the trip when I saw my breath during startup but, pressed on anyway. Made me think of my really frosty trip around Hahn AB Thanksgiving '83 on my '82 R100RS. How frosty you ask? Ice covered trees frosty.

Nice work on the skid plate. I put a piece of plywood between the engine and the plate, we have lots of rocks you don't see till it's too late. It looks kind of raunchy but softens the blow and you can replace it when it splinters. : )View attachment 112468
1/8" hi-impact plastic like Kydex also works great for a lower pan, and would last much longer. Easy to drill and mount, resists cracking, and looks cool.

kydex_307.jpg

I finished up the skid plate today. (except polishing). Cut the upper corners and added 5 holes. Looks much shorter. Also ordered the bends for the exhaust. Sweetie Puss oversaw every aspect of today`s progress?? I also checked out the Kydex site. I may have a use for this product. Need to make slanted number panels for the tracker.
sweetie puss skid plate 012.JPG sweetie puss skid plate 013.JPG sweetie puss skid plate 003.JPG

Looks much better with the corners cut Phil!

Thanks Jim. The other corners were just too much empty space. The holes all increase in increments of 1/8". I added the bottom 5 to make the plate look busier and shorter. The holes were drilled after the T-6 .095 plate was cold bent. I didn`t use a slip roll or press, just hand bent over a piece of PVC. Sure looked easy when it was on poster board template.

Physical is Thur. Still having a lot of trouble with my Right side (leg) I think I was walking better a year ago.??

Back