What have you done to your XS today?

Installed a Morris magneto, removed all of the electrical system except for the alternator rotor. Now onto the rear brake caliper hanger.

Today I drew up a 4" shorter skid plate that does not cover the front mount, made a new front mount that does not have the chrome cover and started on some scrambler pipes. I already don`t like them but options are really limited. I`m more than sure I`ll change my mind. That`s what it`s there for!:shrug:
scrambler pipes 002.JPG scrambler pipes 003.JPG scrambler pipes 001.JPG

I just started her up. Let her warm up a bit. Listened to her talk. She said she was OK. Battery was recharging well by what the voltmeter showed. Sometimes I just need to hear her.

Today I drew up a 4" shorter skid plate that does not cover the front mount, made a new front mount that does not have the chrome cover and started on some scrambler pipes. I already don`t like them but options are really limited. I`m more than sure I`ll change my mind. That`s what it`s there for!:shrug:
View attachment 112701 View attachment 112702 View attachment 112703

I LIKE the way the pipes are shaping up. I have seen other scrambler pipes the take that same route and I think it looks good.

It was a cold crisp day in the Windsor-Detroit area but yesterday was warm after a week of rainy weather which has washed all the salt off the roads. The perfect day for a little boot around on my big silvery gal!! I know she’s not an XS650, but at least it was a ride....

Sooo..., I rode about 4 km to a breakfast restaurant for the regular Sunday morning meal with the local chapter of the Can. Vintage MC Group (www.cvmg.ca). I was surprised to be the only rider this morning out of about 12 folks at breakfast. Oh well. It was -1C when I left home and +3C when I returned. Pretty fresh - but fun! The bike worked perfectly (although I was riding like a granny).

Pete

755ED2AF-794D-4242-AED2-E88AD8343242.jpeg

924A386B-3999-40C9-BF7C-E6C23B4A720B.jpeg

Last edited:
Re did the pipes and tack welded them together. If you can`t burn your leg on these your just not trying hard enough! cut the ends for the Snuff-or-Not`s. Still have to make a rear mounting bracket. A steering damper mount and a couple of small brackets and the frame can go to the powder coaters.
pipes 001.JPG pipes 002.JPG pipes 006.JPG

They don`t make them anymore but there are a few sets of NOS ones around. The price is astronomical $$$$$. Anywhere from $65 to $150 per pair. Original price was $1.95 each. :yikes:
snuff or not 001.JPG

EA5B5535-65DC-4D24-A7F6-95973B044DFD.jpeg 8353A687-2B29-4B0F-9253-B8E9EE81F1BA.jpeg
I like it! I did the same (jig saw) a couple weeks ago. I left the back longer to keep the speedo clip. I think I’ll take it off - yours looks better IMO. I also added gaiters.
Yesterday I found a larger than normal puddle of oil under my bike. Maybe 2 tbls. I know my clutch push rod seal needs replacement but seems weird that it would leak more suddenly. Especially in -16 c temps and has certainly not run in many months. Any opinions? I took left cover off and not much of a mess. It drips right around the nut in the bottom. Not new. Always drips there. see pic. Sump cover perhaps?? I did jack the bike up when I put on the gaiters with a 2x12 centred on the 2 bottom frame tubes. Afterwards I noticed two small indents on the wood corresponding to the two acorn nuts near the oil drain plug. Do you think I’ve damaged something that is now leaking? :(

View attachment 112819 View attachment 112818
I like it! I did the same (jig saw) a couple weeks ago. I left the back longer to keep the speedo clip. I think I’ll take it off - yours looks better IMO.
Thanks Guss. I kept my speedo clip too and tried to equalize the distance front and rear from the centerline. The rear has a different profile which probably makes it look longer than it is. I figured I could always cut off more if I wanted it shorter but impossible to add if too short.
Next up: some XS1100 rotors.

Very nice Phil. You shoulda' done your own build thread;)

Back