What have you done to your XS today?

A stud with a nut that enlarges it to grip the inside of an existing hole..... hmmmm.....

Moveing on.. . I looked at The SG and wished I could take her for a ride, but alas, duty calls... It's laundry day...and it's too windy.

Azman Were headed to Phoenix a week from tomorrow and will be in the Tucson area the second week. I am going to bring my side covers and carb down to Restrocycle for vapor blasting. Do you have any experience with those guys? Looking at their web page, the process puts a real nice satin finish on aluminum. When we get home, they will be coated with clear ceramic.

License plate was flapping so hard it broke in two along with the frame around it.. Got rubber grommets at the hw store that fit the bolts holding the thing to the fender and screwed it down over the rubber mounting that was already there. Good as new for 75 cents.

I've been siliconing new plates to old plates, run a thinnish bead around the perimeter, use screws top and bottom, no more tearing. Gotta do this cause the WI antique plates never expire!

Last edited:
Actually I used the old plate as a backing too, II think it's a breakthrough. Turned it upside down since the tear is at the top. Held it together with screw reflectors in the corner holes. Probably will spray the old one black so can't be accused of reversible plates :)

I pulled and replaced the sump filter and added the MIkesXS paper filter upgrade on the discharge filter. However I now have a fairly large oil leak on the sump cover.(yes I scraped the gasket off the cover and block as best i could). Anyone ever used a touch of gasket sealant on the sump cover to stop it from leaking? Also what's the torque spec/sequence for the bolts? I've found a bunch of different numbers on the forum...

THANKS!

^No. Do it right. Good gasket + clean surfaces (thanks to can of non-orange paint stripper) = good seal. Better to use feel than torque wrench on old fasteners sometimes. Choke up on tthe ratchet handle so your hand is over the center to help keep from making too tight. Use alternating tightening pattern.

BTW, vehicle plates don't expire here either -- just buy a new little sticker every year to stick over the old one on the plate..

Last edited:
I bought it! I've wanted an xs for years and I finally found one! I know it looks nice here, but it needs a lot of tlc to get road Worthy and set up for me. I hate cafes but this is a good canvas. Most of the cafe parts are going in the shed as soon as I can afford to replace them.

IMG_20180219_143324.jpg

Thanks! I couldn't find an introduce yourself section. Right now I just don't for on the bike. Knees in my armpits, arms straight out, gut not having it. If like to get it into brat form until I can make a chopper. I don't know how most of the forums feel about chops, but this isn't in survivor condition. It deserves a cool life.

I couldn't find an introduce yourself section.
Go to Forums..... Garage. Scroll down the right side and you'll see a Post New Thread button. Start a thread about your bike and introduce yourself at the same time.
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to watching your bike come together.

Welcome to the forum.
Some members like to hear about valuations of our favorite marque in different jurisdictions. Are you able to let us know what you paid for that one?

^No. Do it right. Good gasket + clean surfaces (thanks to can of non-orange paint stripper) = good seal. Better to use feel than torque wrench on old fasteners sometimes. Choke up on tthe ratchet handle so your hand is over the center to help keep from making too tight. Use alternating tightening .

Just did mine with a proper gasket as Id been changing oil and cleaning filters every few hundred and didnt see the point at the time in doing a proper job of it....hence a few spots on the garage floor (marking its spot)
Last oil change I bought a genuine gasket, cleaned the surface and did up the bolts with experience...
Still spotting ....closer inspection its coming from behind the lh cover...
You guessed it!

Azman Were headed to Phoenix a week from tomorrow and will be in the Tucson area the second week. I am going to bring my side covers and carb down to Restrocycle for vapor blasting. Do you have any experience with those guys? Looking at their web page, the process puts a real nice satin finish on aluminum. When we get home, they will be coated with clear ceramic.
Their shop was the starting point for the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride and toured the shop. Clean and organised and well stocked. Owners seemed like stand up guys. If I was needing their services, I'd go there. I have not used them so far. I might when I need some Ikons for my KZ project.

The screw/nut acts as an expander, ...

A stud with a nut that enlarges it to grip the inside of an existing hole..... hmmmm.....

Well, looks like gggGary and JimD54 are on oxygen.

Oooooohhhhh....I've got it!!

Its a framiss-clamp to keep the electrons from leaking out of the brushes on an XS650 alternator.

Yup, yup - that must be right.

Pete, you need help.

OK, coupla more teasers. More parts of the contraption.

Auger out a shell from a solid block of aluminum.
20180220_194547.jpg

Drill and tap for some modified 0-80 NF screws.
20180221_032724.jpg

Back