What have you done to your XS today?

Didn't see any question about opinions from the op, just a post on work done..................if it is't your taste wouldn't it be better to keep your opinions to your self rather than belittle someones work............

Taking a leaf from your book i guess it could be said, that vid could be 1/2 as long, or less if your arm wasn't in the way 1/2 the time, and the point would still be made.Using an adjustable monkey wrench on splines is a big no no. Especially as a novice is more than likely going to damage a critical part. Heck i saw it slip a couple of times when you did it.
Glass meets stone.....

I liked Peanuts video because he was up-front and honest about his method. He did state that the grips were not ideal, adjusted them well to minimize slip and warned about taking care not to damage the spline. I have seen severe damage done to splines by vice grips and I would never use them. Peanuts choice of tool seems a reasonable compromise to me. Perhaps the actual kick starter lever may has been a better choice but a bit bulky and you would run the risk of pulling the mechanism out when removing the lever. But certainly the video is educational.

I still use a screwdriver for jobs other than putting in screws.......

I liked Peanuts video because he was up-front and honest about his method. He did state that the grips were not ideal, adjusted them well to minimize slip and warned about taking care not to damage the spline. I have seen severe damage done to splines by vice grips and I would never use them. Peanuts choice of tool seems a reasonable compromise to me. Perhaps the actual kick starter lever may has been a better choice but a bit bulky and you would run the risk of pulling the mechanism out when removing the lever. But certainly the video is educational.

I still use a screwdriver for jobs other than putting in screws.......

Thank you Paul . he's been banging on about that pair of pliers for years bless him.....

i think most intelligent people viewing my video will appreciate that the use of the gland pliers was just for a one off test demonstration with whatever was to hand .It wasn't like I was trying to turn the engine over or anything .

I have the idiot on IGNORE setting so I do not have to read his drivel

Last edited:
well as you have posted it for critique I have to be honest and say most of that looks like some kind of aluminium weevil has been at it :(
Does it have a theme ? or is it intended to be completely random .
When producing a regular or repeating pattern I always feel its best to try to maintain some consistency or the finished result often can look a little naive or slapdash. Sorry if that seems a little harsh but its my honest opinion

Umm..thanks for the critique? I guess..... I put it up to say hey check it out, considering I started engraving on aluminium like barely 8 months ago and don't have a lot of money so no high end tools or bits here, I'd say I did pretty well. Also, do you think it looks like a "weevil" because you cant see what any of the designs are? because it's just a bunch of odd faces... Yes, the theme is whatever you want it to be if your old fashioned and have to expect a bike to have a theme. You could perhaps consider maybe I'm artistic and just started to do whatever I could to my bike, so the "theme" is my artistic capabilities. Can i also point out I did all that engraving with the parts ON the bike, none came off.... I want to get good at it, and do it to bikes and maybe more. Can you post some of your non-weevil associated artwork for all of us to critique?

Last edited:
ran out of gas 200 yds from home on a roundabout!

Realised eventually that one of the petcocks was not on reserve...doh

I finally get it started .....running on vapour and I have a bit of a dilemma ...........do I turn right and ride the bike 200 yds on the flat to my home ?
or.....do I take a chance and ride it straight up hill 200 yds to the garage in the village ? :umm:

Maybe the weevil ate your gas?

Umm..thanks for the critique? I guess..... I put it up to say hey check it out, considering I started engraving on aluminium like barely 8 months ago and don't have a lot of money so no high end tools or bits here, I'd say I did pretty well. Also, do you think it looks like a "weevil" because you cant see what any of the designs are? because it's just a bunch of odd faces... Yes, the theme is whatever you want it to be if your old fashioned and have to expect a bike to have a theme. You could perhaps consider maybe I'm artistic and just started to do whatever I could to my bike, so the "theme" is my artistic capabilities. Can i also point out I did all that engraving with the parts ON the bike, none came off.... I want to get good at it, and do it to bikes and maybe more. Can you post some of your non-weevil associated artwork for all of us to critique?

if you like what you have done then be happy with it. it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks of it does it ?
If you post something up for comment you have to expect some critiscism as well as praise or even disinterest that the way of the World.

I have never tried any engraving so I don't know my skill level. one thing you might consider before embarking on any more 'engraving' is to spend a few moments beforehand thinking about what you want to achieve and drawing out your design so that you have some idea what it might look like once done.

Grimmith, my turn to put my foot in it. I appreciate that art and personal taste differs from one to another. At work I am often involved with art pupils so realize there are many people who will like what you have done. As for me, I really laughed when I read the phrase "Metal Weevil". I think I understood where Peanut was coming from when he made his comments. Being very conservative myself, I am horrified when people chop and bop an XS650 which is in a very good state of restoration. The outcome may be nice but to me an XS650 should resemble the original article even though loads of people will disagree with this view of mine. What bothered me most was your engraving on the chrome work. Good chrome is so hard to come by so to me your engraving on it seemed like vandalism. But others will see it as self-expression/customization. In the UK old XS650 parts are much more expensive than in the USA so I consider these bike to be kind of sacred and not to be tampered with. Having said that, I ripped out the TCI and replaced it with a modern ignition system. I guess Tourette's isn't my only inconsistency. Take comfort that you are not the only person to ever be criticized on this forum because that is what happens with so many different characters and each with their own dream of an ideal bike. If you ever see some of my early electrical work you will laugh! It was pretty crappy and poorly finished. But with time and better quality tools most of that work has been redone to a higher standard.

I hope you get the chance to fire your XS up soon and get out on the road and enjoy the biker experience - Best of Luck.

yeah I second that paul. You are far more diplomatic than I am.
I didn't intend to be derisive or derogatory in my comments and as a fellow xs650 owner I also wish grimmith all the best with his engraving endeavours and above all enjoy riding your bike .

Grimmith, in the excitement I forgot to say one other thing. I quite liked what you did on and around the oil filter cover. Nice 3D effect showing through there.

I appreciate all the positivity Paul, I also fully understand where you're coming from. "appreciate the originality" right ? I do, I really do, I just love creating things with hands so much. I've done this to a lot of my stuff. But also, using Mothers shiner and the right stuff, the chrome is actually back, minus where the engraving was. Also, it's not done, I'm going to touch up some areas, but I'm in constant pain all the time so bending and twisting hurts like a mother fluffer. The bike also runs actually, I've ridden it around the block a few times. Just recently got my permit, no helmet or license so I'm waiting. This is the first bike I've ever touched, worked on, restored, rode, etc. haha.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Meanwhile back at the barn, I threw some chrome onto th old '77......

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 172
My new oil cap. It glows in black light, jaw moves, yay. Im hoping maybe i could make the jaw rattle while the buke runs haha.

Attachments

• 20180513_125816.jpg
    20180513_125816.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 181
Grimmith, did you mold that yourself? If so what resin did you use? I am thinking of molding a new oil cap including the threaded section. I cannot easily use molten aluminum but think a resin full of chopped fibreglass ribbon might be strong enough. I am thinking of adding a thermocouple. Perhaps thermochromic paint on yours could be interesting??

Can do get Blacklight LEDs?

Naw, It was a big hard plastic skull, and used Epoxy to hold it in place, then added the "brains" and painted it. Probably going to dip it in some heavy duty exterior polyurethane. To be honest man, I don't have a bunch of money and if I could, I would have definitely molded this out of aluminium, added more detail. Yes, right here man, https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/motorcycle-led-kits/filter/LED_Color,UV,136,4644: . If I had the resources, I could do some crazy stuff on a motorcycle. I want a spinal chord on my gas tank

Last edited:
How not to install your carbs.
It does not work.
But with patience, some spray lube and a lot of focused straining they popped on. Heating the manifolds would have been my next step.
Tomorrow I'll dig out the test tank and see if the '80 will start.

Attachments

• 20180515_183523.jpg
    20180515_183523.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 221
Excellent use of bar clamps...............................
tim

How not to install your carbs.
It does not work.
But with patience, some spray lube and a lot of focused straining they popped on. Heating the manifolds would have been my next step.
Tomorrow I'll dig out the test tank and see if the '80 will start.
Kneel next to the bike, reach one arm around the front of the engine and back to the carbs. Grab carbs with both hands, gently rock up and down while applying pressure, they'll go right in. On some four cylinders this is about the only way to get them on. Yes a bit of silicon lube goes a long way to help.

Last edited:
Back