1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by I am Carbon, Nov 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Perhaps.....
    0F0AC460-2180-455C-A9CB-7A46A7754AAA.jpeg

TwoManyXS1Bs, robinc and Jim like this.
  2. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Have you done the head stud retorque yet? If not it's time.....

robinc, MaxPete and Jim like this.
  3. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Wow! That sounds really awful. I’m happy that has never happened to me!
    E9DCF90C-9B38-454B-9F51-1BB9630E794F.gif

robinc, Jim and tzimmerm like this.
  4. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

:D

Btw..... I just stole your little whistling guy there....

wink.jpg

TwoManyXS1Bs, Mailman and robinc like this.
  5. tzimmerm

tzimmerm XS650 Addict

1046CC4B-F26A-49BC-9045-2B7ECA42F9A4.jpeg Ran her out of gas on the way home from work. I knew it was gonna be close when I left work, with barely enough gas to slosh in the tank, but I forgot my wallet this morning, so nothing to do but see how far I could make it. It’s a nice day for sitting and waiting for the rescue team though. 82 and a shady spot to sit.

Boog, Robert Reed, gggGary and 4 others like this.
  6. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Excellent TZ!

I ran Lucille, my XS650C out of gas last year on a....well, lets just say, I was going really fast....highway blast - about 6 miles from home.

In the rain (needless to say).

It was fun pushing her half a mile to the next overpass, in the pissing-down pouring rain, and then waiting for Daughter #2 to arrive with the lawnmower fuel jug.....

It seems these old gals use fuel at quite a clip when you're on reserve and going.....well, really fast.

gggGary, TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim and 2 others like this.
  7. Griz

Griz XS650 Enthusiast

Now THATS using the old noodle! I ran out of gas the other day (not on my xs, I’ve haven’t gotten that far yet) sitting and waiting for the neighbors to come bring me gas a guy on a scooter pulls up and stops. “Do ya need help?” He says. “No sir I’m fine, just ran outta gas” ...”well did ya check the reserve?” “Yup it’s on reserve now...”
    “Well nothing I can do for ya buddy!” He says as he pulls off shaking his head. :laugh:Nothing like kicking a man when he’s down

gggGary, TwoManyXS1Bs, robinc and 3 others like this.
  8. MaxPete

Eeeeeyahhhhh.

Reserve. Dammit.

gggGary and Jim like this.
  9. tzimmerm

tzimmerm XS650 Addict

Omg. I didnt even check my reserve. :laughing:

10. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Years ago I stopped to see if I could help... guy had pushed his brand new CB750 (tole' ya it was long ago) 'bout 2/3 of the way up Clondike Hill where I lived. It was a steep hill 'bout a mile long.... in Alabama... in the summer. He was resting with the bike on the side stand... sweatin' profusely. "Ran outta gas" he said. Just to be a dick I said "man, when ya hit reserve, ya gotta stop for gas." He slumped down on the seat.... his eyes kinda crossed... looked at me and said.... "Reserve???"
    :laughing:

Boog, MrBultaco, gggGary and 4 others like this.
  11. timbeck

timbeck XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter

I like to tape a $20 bill under the seat, it has come in handy a couple of times.
    tim

Boog, weekendrider, gggGary and 4 others like this.
  12. MaxPete

Indeed. I bought a dead-as-a-doornail covered in mud and crud barn bike and have had to do all of those things too. In fact, I think that just about everyone on the Forum who winds up with a solid reliable riding bike - has to do that stuff.

Oh well, the "journey is the destination" as they say!

Pete

Mailman, robinc, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  13. weekendrider

weekendrider Iron Horse cowboy Top Contributor

S.W. MO
    Yes he is. A single thread would make it easier to follow the changes. . . . much easier

14. tzimmerm

tzimmerm XS650 Addict

Is there any way to “move” my posts into a new thread?

15. weekendrider

weekendrider Iron Horse cowboy Top Contributor

S.W. MO
    Contact the admin and ask, beg, plead for a HUGE favor. Or link them together youownself.

Mailman and Jim like this.
  16. Robert Reed

Robert Reed XS650 Addict

Sorry for my ignorance but just to clarify, when you're turning the wrench the upper leg is turning inside the lower leg?

Don't know why but I always assumed the upper and lower portions could only move up and down, not also twist.

17. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

yes the tubes are free to spin in the lowers.

Start a build thread, I'll see if I can con an admin into moving posts over for you. :cool:

Mailman, MaxPete, robinc and 2 others like this.
  18. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

“I know a guy that owes me a favor.....now you owe me a favor.....understand?”
    80AB2B77-A01F-4783-9635-6B8D9B4129D8.jpeg

19. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider Top Contributor

Last night I got motivated to look at and work on the SG. It's been too hot to do anything until last night. Her charging system isn't working. Replaced the rotor. Wasn't that. I removed the rectifier board and saw one of the lugs had some plastic cracked off at the base. I located another rectifier and mounted it up on the plate. Removed the plate the regulator was mounted on. I'm going to try to a regulator used on Fiats. I may try to mount everything on the one plate rather than use 2. Pics to follow. Stay tuned...

robinc, Mailman, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jim

Keep in mind, there's two types of regulators.... one that regulates power to the field and one that controls the ground. For the SG, you want the one that regulates the ground side of the field.. Maybe @5twins can chime in here and make us both smarter.