What have you done to your XS today?

They all seem to crack in the upper left hand corner (in my experience).
When I got mine, the PO's plate was cracking in the upper right. I just got a stainless steel backing plate (Barnett, about $11.00 on Amazon with Prime shipping) to fix mine up. The plate on my TW200 just disappeared one day, leaving the upper corners only... so I got a local guy to make me an aluminum backing plate. But it took me longer to get him to make it than it did Amazon to deliver the one I'm putting on the XS.

Being um thrifty I use an expired plate as a backer and when real ambitious I run a couple small beads of silicone between them before bolting top n bottom. JRP1 has been here and we've been wrenching a bunch of final touches and details on the 74 after the wake up and top overhaul, we rode that and Resto a hundred miles of backroads Monday. Resto will be my mount for the Iron Horse rally. We're trailering down. Current plan is to ride resto home. But I'll be keeping an eye out for a rust free 4x4 pick up while in the south.

Last edited:
Okay, so this morning I put the Barnett backing plate on my XS... and found that the brand-new license plate already has a crack at the upper right-hand corner. Gah. I've gone about 500 miles on this bike since I plated it. It'll be fine with the backing plate, I'm sure, but it was fixing to leave me otherwise.

Gah. I've gone about 500 miles on this bike since I plated it. It'll be fine with the backing plate, I'm sure, but it was fixing to leave me otherwise.

As has been pointed out several times, many people feel that these bikes DO vibrate a bit.....

Just one more sleep.....:rock:

As has been pointed out several times, many people feel that these bikes DO vibrate a bit.....
Just one more sleep.....:rock:

Hi Pete,
I found that out back in 1986 after my first long ride left me with two fasteners and two little triangles where the plate used to be.
After that my plate has always been attached to the bottom of a rubber sheet that has it's top attached to the plate bracket just like
my avatar shows. The first attempt was too long and got flipped up inside the rear fender, after which it got shortened.
Today I prepped the XS for winter. It awaits a burly friend to help me push the bike into it's hibernation shed.

I am registered for my local 2018 distinguished gentlemen’s ride. Here is a link to my profile. I am looking for sponsors to help Me reach my goal. Any and all donations are appreciated! For those who don’t know, this charity is for MEN’S HEALTH issues, such as suicide prevention, prostate cancer, etc. One of the only I know of lookin out for us guys. Help an XS brother and all your brothers out!
https://www.gentlemansride.com/rider/ThaddeusZimmerman262548

I am registered for my local 2018 distinguished gentlemen’s ride. Here is a link to my profile. I am looking for sponsors to help Me reach my goal. Any and all donations are appreciated! For those who don’t know, this charity is for MEN’S HEALTH issues, such as suicide prevention, prostate cancer, etc. One of the only I know of lookin out for us guys. Help an XS brother and all your brothers out!
https://www.gentlemansride.com/rider/ThaddeusZimmerman262548

I participated in last years ride and am signed up for this year. Really enjoyed the ride and the group of riders that went, plus it's for a great cause.

UM

Fully agree Uncle Meat!

I tried to donate to TZimmerman but it wouldn’t accept my Canadian address - so I have supported one of my buddies back home in the SW Ontario ride.

Pete

Appreciate it none the less. Actually, I’m a little worried about being able to make it now; I went for a ride this afternoon and my front wheel is wobbling bad enough to make me worry. It wasnt an issue earlier this summer, but a few times over the last month I’ve noticed when I take my left hand off the bars, they start wobbling. I used to be able to take both hands off the bars and it would be fine, but now it starts shaking back and fourth badly within seconds. At 55 mph I can feel and see it. It gets worse with speed. The wheel and tire look like they’re wobbling back and fourth. Is it normal for a wheel to go out of true from riding for a season? If I can’t get it trued within the next couple days I might have to cancel the ride. I don’t even want to take it on the interstate.

... Is it normal for a wheel to go out of true from riding for a season?

It can, if a spoke breaks, or, more rare, a nipple thread strips.
Take a small wrench or screwdriver and *tap* on each spoke, listen for equal pitch 'ting' sounds. A dull 'thud' means that spoke has loosened, or failed. Several 'thud's mean trouble.

Spoke testing should be at least an annual inspection...

Also check you steering head bearings. Put the bike on the centrestand and use a block of wood under the front of the engine to raise the front wheel up off the ground.

Grab the lower end of the forks and push them toward the back of the bike and pull them forward toward you. You should not feel any looseness.

Now rotate the handlebars right and left - you should not feel any “notchiness” as you go through the centre position.

Pete

Another thing you can check for is a bulge on the tyre...........Check the hub and all the bolts are tight holding the axle....

I know it’s the wheel, not just the tire, as I can clearly see the rim itself moving side to side, ever so slightly. It’s always been this way, it just seems worse now. I did have a loose spoke after I bought the bike, but I tightened it and checked all to make sure they all “rang”. Checked again yesterday on my ride and theres no dull spokes. Steering head is a different story. It’s always had a notch right in the middle, when the wheel is straight forward. I know I should replace the balls, but Maybe with some luck all I’ll have to do is tighten it down a bit and it will keep the shaking at bay for the rest of this season. I have honestly been avoiding bringing the wrenches out for anything the last month or so. It’s almost time to put her away for the winter, I’m short on cash, and the holidays are fast approaching. If I can get away with
Not spending any more on parts of any kind I’ll still be over my budget.

I called my local powersports place and they say they can do it but their rate is 119.00 per hour!!! That seems outrageous to me. Even if it’s not, I am NOT dropping a couple hundred dollars on the bike this year for that. If tightening the neck bearings doesnt solve the issue, I guess she’ll have to be put down for the winter. Looks like I’ll be doing some investigating and wrenching this evening. I’ll check everything everyone mentioned and report back and let you all know what I find

sadly i havnt had much time to do anything to the old girl. I got a few rides in this year, but with the oil leaks, and minor electrical issues, i havnt had much time to try and fix them. I wish i had an afforable bike guy nearby to run through these for me.

Ok. Got the bike up with jack stands under the crash bar. Did Pete’s push pull test, and the bike failed; At least a mil of play. Dissassembled the entire front end. Took off the dust cover to inspect the bearings. Mind you I’m holding my bars/gauges with all levers still installed with my right hand while I’m fiddling with the neck with my left. I managed to drop a ball that was stuck to the race down between the tank and frame. Was lucky as fuck with a duck and fished it out first try with the end of a magnetic Screwdriver. Still holding the bars. Put it back together,
Cranked the locknut down tight, then the second, and proceeded to reassemble. Greased the swingarm fittings. I was able to coast down the hill from my place with both hands off the bars without any shaking, and I could barely notice any visable out of true in the wheel while on my way to my favorite burger joint where I sit as I write this. I believe I nixxed this one, for now. I’ll take the interstate on the way home to be sure, but it looks like Sunday’s ride is on.

Last edited:
Finally got around to taking off the LH side cover to re-route the clutch cable between the carbs. While I had it off, I checked the nut on the sprocket and found it was loose! I don’t have the proper size bit, so I just tightened it down as best I could with some channel locks. If I end up keeping the bike til next year, I’ll probably buy a quality chain and install the new sprockets sometime in spring, and make sure it’s cranked down properly. Took the bike to the gym, it runs so good right now. Having the timing advanced must have been bogging it down a bit. Acceleration is awesome. My local Distiguished Gentlemen’s ride was postponed until Next Sunday, which is a shame because it didnt end up raining today and my 7 day forecast call for rain NEXT Sunday. We’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
Back