1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by I am Carbon, Nov 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rick1956

rick1956 Just a regular guy.

Just a shot of the shop when it's actually not completely cluttered. I'm putting another coat of bomb can on the tank. I just got my new Honda coil yesterday, so I'll be able to get that mounted up this weekend. I'd like to finalize tuning the point of being able to ride it one of these days...

2019010305174628-IMG_5730.jpg

JimD54 likes this.
  2. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru

Canadian Tire store had this base cabinet on sale last week. I think it is a strong sturdy item so will see if it withstands an engine build.
    This motor is from my blue 77 (matching numbers fwiw). The first repair is to replace the kick start return spring anchor before going any further.
    There is a thread here about doing it so that is my first read.

Attached Files:

3. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

That looks like a nice set up. I like that it has a relatively small foot print and casters, so you can move it around and park it out of the way. The storage underneath is also a plus!

4. tzimmerm

tzimmerm XS650 Addict

Took the bike to work and around town yesterday. Very frustrated that after the clutch springs and retainers the
    Trans seems to be slipping more than it was before. It consistently slips at 5 grand in 4th and 5th now.

5. Dune19670

Dune19670 XS650 Member

England
    Bobbed my front mudguard, cut sections out of the front & rear and welded ends back on.
    Cover in filler & spend hours sanding and shaping, followed by some high build primer

Attached Files:

ThatXS650Guy and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  6. Dune19670

Dune19670 XS650 Member

England
    New stainless 45mm headers from Heiden Tuning ( with torque inserts ) trial fitted today

Attached Files:

TwoManyXS1Bs and Superjet like this.
  7. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru

More on my kick start return spring post repair, wow there is not a lot of meat to drill into. For a moment thought about going magic button only. Too bad some active p o has removed the shaft #10 that connects the e start gears on the left side to the gears on the right side. My research says the cases need to be split to replace that and I was not planning to do that to this motor. The bike is otherwise a complete almost runner except for the non matching numbers motor. I need to reseal the front brakes and reinstall that nice tank, side panels, seat and exhaust and replace the clutch push rod seal.
    I think it will stay a non matching numbers bike!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Meddy, TwoManyXS1Bs, JimD54 and 2 others like this.
  8. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider

Not exactly "to it" but "for it". I bought a 2-1 exhaust for it today. Been wanting one for years and one showed up in the classifieds in good shape and for a great price.

9. A piddling little early winter project, with big shoutout to Willis, whose avatar inspired me to try ventilating a generator cover like he did. Still a work in process - openings were done with drill and Dremel, then hand-filed to final size and edges radiused. My wife's stainless steel colander is nicely perforated with holes of suitable small diameter and just about the right diameter curve near its top edge to fit with only a little flattening. This is starting to come together! I'll get this piece polished and re-paint the letters before JB'ing the perforated stock on the backside. She doesn't use that colander much, anyway LOL.

Attached Files:

willis, GLJ, geedubya and 4 others like this.
  10. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Very nice! We want to see the finished product! :thumbsup:

JimD54 likes this.
  11. Next installment: cover polished up by Gordon Duda of Rochester Hills, MI, while I waited maybe 10 minutes at most, notwithstanding several shelves full of jobs ahead of my little one. Gordon, a motorcycle guy in earlier years, is a very skilled restorer of all manner of aluminum and stainless trim in our area of SE Michigan, much of it vehicular in origin. Upon further reflection, I'm getting a piece of stainless mesh for the "grill" pieces - it'll look better than perforated stock and not endanger my marriage - should be here in a couple days.

Attached Files:

12. willis

willis XS650 Junkie

Looks great Aldo!!!!

13. Finished with stainless steel mesh with stainless mesh.JPG

delagem, resto, ThatXS650Guy and 6 others like this.
  14. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Wow! That looks so custom! Really well done!

Superjet likes this.
  15. Machine

Machine Race the wind

Hauled one home :D yikes 20190111_224649.jpg

Meddy, ThatXS650Guy, gggGary and 3 others like this.
  16. Nice 79 Machine.:thumbsup:..........Looks tidy...........sticking float?? or Float valve??..........the fun begins

gggGary and Mailman like this.
  17. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Addict

Man that is a nice one Machine!! Good score. :thumbsup: why can't there be nice bikes like these around where I live.....geez :(

gggGary and Mailman like this.
  18. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Very nice Bike! Looks like you got a good one!

Superjet and gggGary like this.
  19. rsor

rsor Wanna do this again!

I made it this far, new adventure for me. Cleaning and scrubbing. Everything looks fine, new seals and learn how to put it back together.

Attached Files:

Meddy, TwoManyXS1Bs, delagem and 2 others like this.
  20. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Atta boy rsor! You got it in the run now! You’re smart for splitting the cases. I don’t know why but that’s where I drew my line and I never did it. If I have problems now, I’ll never hear the end of it! :lmao:

By the way, you managing to stay warm in your shop?

gggGary likes this.