What have you done to your XS today?

Third time, no charm
I have installed bronze bushings on a couple other bikes, but this for my 74 TX, is the most stubborn one. Made sure the swing arm ends were clean and free of paint and rust, froze the bushings, heated s/a to 175, even then, they would barely fit. Shoulda stopped then.
Going to use more heat now and see if I can avoid the bigger hammer solution.

Attachments

• 20190119_123457.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 193
Heat + Hammer = Happy!
Even got enough of the pivot tube sticking out!
(But I'll be using the other end of the all thread next time!)

Attachments

• 20190119_135401.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 158
  • 20190119_135900.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 174
The bushings were frozen and the sa heated, but I think the lesson is to measure the bushes before one tries to install same. See 'Dudes recent exposition on this job, measurements are in his thread.
The ones I used seemed tight out of the box, but I thought overnight in the freezer would fix that. Apparently the aftermarket items vary in accuracy. Also maybe install one at a time, the bronze quickly returns to room temp.

Took mine for a ride today, about 25 miles, about 5 above zero so I was happy to get home and warm up.
Garage now sorted enough post building work so I can fit the new exhaust and other parts I've had for a while.
20190120_144937.jpg

Got some Metzler Lazertec fitted today. I was getting a slight front end wobble and i have checked the steering nut several time so next bet was new boots on the old girl. Man what a difference. As smooth as a Bone Shaker can be. $352 AUD fitted while i waited is a great price.
Cooler weather in the next few days so time for a few Kms on the old girl!!
Cheers

Just purchased a battery MINDER after reading the thread here. Got it on sale for 39.00 after tax and shipping. I’ll take the seat and battery off tonight and bring them inside. Ice and snows really starting to fly here. I’ll probably take the front end apart and drag it inside also; hand polishing the front wheel and forks seems like a good way to spend the dragging winter hours indoors. I’ve been perusing mikes trying to decide the best route to take with my 50.00 gift card. Swingarm seals and bushings, tapered steering neck bearing, or a third of new mufflers.....

Painting the hard to see when assembled:
Battery box has so many different surfaces and finger traps.
Hanging like laundry!
Bringing the TX650A a bit closer to assembly.

Attachments

• 20190124_122812.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 178
  • 20190124_132224.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 150
dd- Great looking machine. Get that build thread going......
tim

Just swapped out the old front fork springs with 35mm HD springs for an old big twin / sportster from late 70' early 80's. We'll see how they feel on my bike come springtime. Real inexpensive to around $58 canadian thru Parts Canada. Here are part numbers if someone wants to check out. If they don't perform well, will add fork emulators to it since they are a single rate spring.
20190126_130655.jpg

They are a little longer than stock which proved a little hard to get fork cap bolt on. To simplify things I marked the cap bolt where it starts to thread on the fork and marked the fork at this spot. It really helped wrestling down the bolt and getting it started on those aluminum threads :gun:...so scared to get thoses cross threaded.

Cut down rear mudguard, mounted new tail/brake light & Mocked up how it was all gonna sit ( still needs some tinkering)

Attachments

• 9FBE350F-5E4F-4043-8C48-24755994631D.jpeg
    9FBE350F-5E4F-4043-8C48-24755994631D.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 163
Back