What have you done to your XS today?

Took the black paint off the forks that the p.o. had put on. Sanded the imperfections and simply shined up with some Autosol real good. Didn't do a buff job like some of the guys on here but goes well with the scotchbrite parts I have on. Before and after pics. Now I have to do something about that chipped paint caliper. Anybody have paint suggestions for that?
20190202_134434.jpg
20190303_161247.jpg

Hi J-C:

There is a brand of frame paint that folks use and I know that CTC sells it in Canada. I think it starts with a "W"....

Pete

I'm lo-tech but clean the caliper with brake-kleen and q-tips, paint brush touch up with satin black from a rattle can.
This cover had lots of paint chips last night.
20190304_091033.jpg

Thanks Pete for the info. I will look into it for sure. JC

Sorry - it was a "V" - the stuff is called VHT and here is a picture from the CTC website. The have a bunch of different formulations - including one meant for brake calipers. Now, this may or may not be the epoxy-based paint to which Brassneck referred.

Peter

upload_2019-3-4_10-31-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-4_10-29-29.png
    upload_2019-3-4_10-29-29.png
    410.9 KB · Views: 166
Caliper paint works really well. I use it on wheels too...
I had a bad can of primer from VHT a few months ago. I contacted them and they sent me a case of six so good customer service too...

I have no idea how to make pics smaller.....
tim

Sorry - it was a "V" - the stuff is called VHT and here is a picture from the CTC website. The have a bunch of different formulations - including one meant for brake calipers. Now, this may or may not be the epoxy-based paint to which Brassneck referred.

Peter

View attachment 136142
I have used various paints from VHT’s line. I used it to paint the 2 into 1 exhaust that came on my chopper. I believe they are the makers of the epoxy paint as well. Here in the Iowa corridor we have OReillys, Advance, and Autozones all over, and they all seem to carry most of the VHT line. I know the epoxy paint is always in the same section as the VHT line.

VHT as header paint is just OK ....The best I ever used is no longer found in it's original form due to lead being a component of it. It was....JOHN DEERE muffler paint! The newer version is still very good and I recommend it highly. They now label it "muffler black". It is a little more glossy than the original stuff but holds up pretty well in comparison to ANY others that I have tried..........Used it on a set of headers for my wife's '65 Mustang about 15 years ago and has only had 1 or 2 touch-up resprays since and the car usually trophies at the local car shows! Still looking good......................

How did you get into the books and crannies of the caliper? Did you use a dremel with a buffing wheel? It looks good. Also did you leave bare aluminum or clear coat it after it was finished?

I have found that the magic blue polish compound works great. It has silicone in it to protect the shine.

4DCEC141-86D7-4D2A-AC7A-BE78F754C983.png
How did you get into the books and crannies of the caliper? Did you use a dremel with a buffing wheel? It looks good. Also did you leave bare aluminum or clear coat it after it was finished?

I have found that the magic blue polish compound works great. It has silicone in it to protect the shine.
Blue magic is what I used on my forks. Man does it work quick too! I put that final shine on by hand with a terry washcloth! Just some elbow grease and a small rag is all you need!

Unfortunately I can’t report on the performance of VHT’s header paint; I never used the 2 into 1 exhaust I painted. I’m not 100%, but I think VHT made the wrinkle paint that me and my stepson used on the heads of our motorized bike engines. I had an old ‘73 Cadillac hearse that had a wrinkle top. Lots of 60’s and 70’s hearses had wrinkle paint tops as opposed to vinyl as it was more durable. I didnt even realize that mopars used wrinkle paint on the valve covers until much later. Anyway, I always had a thing for wrinkle paint and it held up really good on the heads, and it looked great. Got that at O Reillys too.

Attachments

• 57BD1535-6DC6-457D-A6F4-BC054F11B63C.png
    57BD1535-6DC6-457D-A6F4-BC054F11B63C.png
    666.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
New kobalt welding gloves, Irwin long reach pliers, gb wire strippers! Gloves I got on sale for $15, good deal? I like how flexible the leather is.

Edit, I guess I'll add that I got a mini grease gun and a small black magnetic tray.

Attachments

• IMG_20190306_151922.jpg
    IMG_20190306_151922.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20190306_152253.jpg
    IMG_20190306_152253.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 147
I'm at the wreckers. Will these 750 petcocks fit my standard 79f? I have dual petcocks. But I am concerned about the diameter between the bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_20190306_153431.jpg
    IMG_20190306_153431.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 157
XS750 petcocks same as XS650 ?
What year 79? Cafetools needs that confirmed asap please?
Hang out there Cafetools salvage yards are fun !

Back