What have you done to your XS today?

Ok, I just ordered the EMGO “commando” style mufflers from amazon, 52.00 a piece! (Don’t you just love how amazon’s prices change almost daily? NOT) I had to scoop them up at that price. I went to the auto parts store yesterday to gather everything I’ll need to get her ready to ride; new plugs, fuel line/filters, carb cleaner. It’s finally warming up here; should be 30’s to 40’s this weekend and next week. Question about oil- since I’m planning on riding the bike this summer despite the cam chain guide wearing into the oil, I am anticipating I’m going to be changing the oil more frequently. I got the heiden tuning “oil cooler” with the replacable honda paper element filter from mike’s specifically because I’m hoping that will help keep the aluminum at bay. I’ve been using this mobil1 synthetic-
View attachment 136381
which is expensive AF at almost 12.00 a quart. Can anyone attest to any experience using castrol
View attachment 136382
or Lucas?
View attachment 136383

If I’m going to be changing the oil more frequently, cutting 3-4 dollars off each quart is really gonna save.
I have used Castrol but really think saving money is the option here buy the cheapest and change your oil every 1000 miles because all oil addatives disapate over time and use. so it is a bit of a misleading idea that buying expensive oil is better for your engine .. what is good for any engine is regular oil and filter changes ...
All the best funky

Ok, I just ordered the EMGO “commando” style mufflers from amazon, 52.00 a piece! (Don’t you just love how amazon’s prices change almost daily? NOT) I had to scoop them up at that price. I went to the auto parts store yesterday to gather everything I’ll need to get her ready to ride; new plugs, fuel line/filters, carb cleaner. It’s finally warming up here; should be 30’s to 40’s this weekend and next week. Question about oil- since I’m planning on riding the bike this summer despite the cam chain guide wearing into the oil, I am anticipating I’m going to be changing the oil more frequently. I got the heiden tuning “oil cooler” with the replacable honda paper element filter from mike’s specifically because I’m hoping that will help keep the aluminum at bay. I’ve been using this mobil1 synthetic-
which is expensive AF at almost 12.00 a quart. Can anyone attest to any experience using castrol
or Lucas?

If I’m going to be changing the oil more frequently, cutting 3-4 dollars off each quart is really gonna save.
I belong to a Norton forum. And a top Norton mechanic and machinist over there did extensive testing of oils in a Commando engine.

Norton oil test

What have you done to your XS today?well figured I throw this in here was reading a while back on different rear disc setups here’s what I’ve done with mine today seems to work any suggestions need to order linkage

"A place to post up what'cha been doing in the garage or on the road. As always show us the pics!" gggGary

Today I gave her a wash
then got out the carnauba wax and waxed her.
lubed the drive chain
checked oil
ordered a new front master cylinder that looks retro instead of the modern one I have now. It will look much better and work well too.

Attachments

• 3191655F-17C5-48AF-9D90-58587485B14B.jpeg
    3191655F-17C5-48AF-9D90-58587485B14B.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 168
  • EBE40B5E-8360-4BA2-BAA8-A765726F69C7.jpeg
    EBE40B5E-8360-4BA2-BAA8-A765726F69C7.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 168
03346399-C386-4088-B52F-56A31B38D0E7.jpeg 702C6562-3A58-4040-A4AA-3A706DFBEBA5.jpeg B3AFD6C3-87A5-4425-B0EA-0B04CC8F9615.jpeg 1D15A61A-3D6D-43CA-95DF-876472F4D024.jpeg
Got lots of spring prep done today- replaced my dry rotted and leaky gas cap seal, installed new spark plugs and my new Heiden oil cooler, bled the front brake, wiped off some of the corrosion on the aluminum bits. I went to check the valves but I have no idea what I last set them at. The left side intake was at 3 and the exhaust at 7. WTF? I took the adjuster out to inspect it, and it looks almost brand new. It started getting cold, so I decided to re-assess and deal with the valves after the first start up. I am a little perplexed and worried now about the source of my metallic oil- the sidecover filter looked VERY clean,
with the exception of the big metal chunks I’m sure came from the few times I had to use the starter. When it comes time for the first oil change, I’ll have to take a real good look at the clutch and the star adjuster. Now I’m kind of worried about the metal coming from the transmission, especially with it slipping last fall. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Got my throttle cable replaced. I ordered a cheap one last year and got what I paid for. TC Bros had a better 2-1 for my Mikunis. Then I took it for a spin to my buddy’s place and it performed very well. It was a bit chilly, but I’ve got my first ride of the year in.

Oh yeah, you know it. These mufflers don’t usually require any rejetting, right?
That is an interesting question. It will be fun for you to see if there is any change in running.
You may experience some noticeable stumble in the upper rpm's. Say 4 thou up.
Great fun to follow your bike thread !
-RT

What you have to realize about the '76-'77 BS38 carb set is it came with the smallest mains ever used in one of these 650s. They're fine for a totally stock machine but any mods can quickly out-pace them. So, you may require some larger ones with those Commando mufflers. On the '76-'77 carb set I tried, with Commando mufflers and UNI pods, I ended up with 132.5 mains, 27.5 pilots, and the needles leaned a step. If those mufflers are your only mod, you probably won't need mains quite that big, but you may need a bit larger than stock ones (125, 127.5, or 130). Only test running will tell you for sure what's needed.

Dang. Looks like I’m probably going to have to get into the carbs this year. I’m leaving work early today (in 3 minutes) to go try to finish prepping the bike and if all goes well taking a short ride. It’s 44 right now, warmest we’ve seen since xmas. That was the last day I rode I believe. I’m sure I’ll be making a few posts later today. Can I buy a jet set that has all the different sizes for experimenting? What do jets typically cost?

Alright! Went for my first ride of the year. I took the carbs off to replace the fuel line and filters. I drained both bowls and there literally wasnt one speck of anything in either. I took one top off and looked at the diaphragm. Everything looked super clean. Just put everything back together and tried kicking her over. I barely got it to start, but she finally fired after using the starter. I rode about 25 miles. Forgot how good it feels!

I'm not aware of any multi-size jet "kits" or sets. Usually you just buy the sizes you want/need individually. Mains usually run about $3 to $4 each. If the stock 122.5's prove too small after you install the Commando mufflers, I would probably skip right over the next size up (125) and get a pair of 127.5's.

Right On ! So jealous right now.
Maybe try this for a cold start routine.
Turn the gas on.
Manually turn engine over with your kick starter a couple revolutions. This seems to get the vapors in the intake tract.
Then choke on NO throttle. If it fires right up crack it a little and run it 1,500 rpm or so till you know its ready to rock ?
Works for me ;)

Last edited:
Right On ! So jealous right now.
Maybe try this for a cold start routine.
Turn the gas on.
Manually turn engine over with your kick starter a couple revolutions. This seems to get the vapors in the intake tract.
Then choke on NO throttle. If it fires right up crack it a little and run it 1,500 rpm or so till you know its ready to rock ?
Works for me ;)
That sounds close to my cold start routine. All last year it was a one kick cold start with choke, but if it didnt fire right up on that first kick, there was a lot of finagling. My problem today was that the floats or something was sticking; when I turned the gas on it was fine, but when I opened the choke/enrichers, gas started dumping out of the carbs. After It fired up the gas almost instantly stopped leaking. I had this same exact issue when I fired it up last thanksgiving after it had sat for two weeks untouched, with the same remedy.

Here is a quick video I took of the bike while it warmed up right after its first start. God, despite all the rust and leaks, the stock exhaust sounds SO good! I hope these new commandos sound as good.

Last edited:
Back