What have you done to your XS today?

Yup - good one Lakeview!

I have blown two or three fuses on Lucille (or rather, she has blown two or three).

OK you guys - no smart remarks.

Anyhow, I think the vibration is the cause (these bikes do vibrate a bit ya know). .

That’s enough giggling back there young man!
E24CC909-44DD-4DED-A9D0-CA38C1C84830.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I took my XS2 out for a little run and when I came home I gave everything a good look over.
First I went around checking for loose bolts, and I found a few. The valve covers, like to loosen up, front brake line mount, turn signal.......this bike is a shaker, I’m going to need to stay on top of it.
6C1825FF-75D8-4105-8BE2-C78C75F99A6F.jpeg

Then I went around my wheels tapping on spokes with my spoke wrench, ding, ding, clunk. Tightened a few here and there.
07AE2DEC-5788-48E6-86E2-CECFE50441F5.jpeg

Then I addressed another issue. My fuel lines were rubbing on the edges of my side covers and it was wearing into my fuel line.
D681D775-CA9D-4D27-BF2B-C537859DD5E5.jpeg

So I removed the covers and cut about 3/4” or 2cm off of the end and refitted the fuel line and installed the side covers , now I have clearance.

C5E44320-6D7F-49AC-9A8A-A07AFC8F72A7.jpeg

Now I think it’s time for a little Siesta!

Well something a little strange happened. Got my bike all shined up for the bike show here in Moncton so yesterday decided to start it up and see if all is ok. LED headlight started flashing got a few readings of 15 volts on the led display and it started to reset and bike died. :umm: Waited a few mins started back up and did it again. :umm: I found 1 of the 3 phase of the stator to be loose so tightened up. Started back up and was better. Tried again last night and did it once more so shut it down. I went thru the forum and read a few articles. :cool:

This morning I decided to change out the Fiat regulator to another similar one see if that would of helped but no. Sat on a bucket and went thru all my devices and thought to check the brushes. I had installed new XS 650 direct brushes when i first got the bike going. 810kms later they look ok but decided to install new oem brushes that I purchased last summer as spares. BINGO! Now system is charging with an output of 14.3 volts at around 2500 to 3000 rpm. No spikes up to 15v and everthing is normal again. Should of started with the brushes lol :laugh2:

Well something a little strange happened. Got my bike all shined up for the bike show here in Moncton so yesterday decided to start it up and see if all is ok. LED headlight started flashing got a few readings of 15 volts on the led display and it started to reset and bike died. :umm: Waited a few mins started back up and did it again. :umm: I found 1 of the 3 phase of the stator to be loose so tightened up. Started back up and was better. Tried again last night and did it once more so shut it down. I went thru the forum and read a few articles. :cool:

This morning I decided to change out the Fiat regulator to another similar one see if that would of helped but no. Sat on a bucket and went thru all my devices and thought to check the brushes. I had installed new XS 650 direct brushes when i first got the bike going. 810kms later they look ok but decided to install new oem brushes that I purchased last summer as spares. BINGO! Now system is charging with an output of 14.3 volts at around 2500 to 3000 rpm. No spikes up to 15v and everthing is normal again. Should of started with the brushes lol :laugh2:

Wow! I’m not so sure I would’ve found that. If I looked at the brushes and they looked ok, I probably would’ve left them in.

Let me step back a year or so. While I was having charging problems last summer due to an aftermarket rotor showing good resistance on the bike with no charge, on the bench showing close to nothing I read across an article about brushes and resistance. What I got from the end of it was OEM brushes are the go to ones. I quickly snagged some new oem ones on ebay and added them to my spares bin.

This week my luck has been the worst. Ordered a new white wall tire for my Roadstar and took my rim over to get changed over. I asked to see the tire before they install....it was a black wall :( will be Tuesday before they get the new one and by then the bike show will be done and gone. Yesterday I took the day off (was my birthday) and was suppose to be Yamaha demo rides which I had booked a Super Tenere and Tracer GT. Torrential rains forced them to reschedule to Tuesday:(. So decided to get my XS cleaned up and ready to go and here we are today. Almost didnt have either bike to the show but its still raining. Hope tomorrow can bring it down there and enjoy Ribfest at the same time! Wish me luck guys!!! :) JC

Bonne chance JC and Happy Birthday too!

Geezz what a tale of woe with all your bikes. It sounds like you have things on the run though so stick at it. Winter in the Maritimes is nearly over....:cool:

Pete

Thanks Pete! :D It finally cleared up after I got my son from work and it works good now. I have never been on so many highs and lows with 1 bike :doh: :yikes: And then :bike:! Lol Gonna take it down tomorrow to Atlanticade. My wife and I took the Jeep down this afternoon and there were maybe 25 or 30 bikes parked but the weather was the pits. I think I’ve eyed up my next bike. It is a real nice one and my wife loves the back seat.

B5195985-8815-4747-AE9D-74787BC03BB6.jpeg

Oh and took one at a nearby school my son attended a few years ago. Was a nice sky.

0FC4937F-88C8-450B-81EE-149812F82D02.jpeg

Side Valve Harley at Retrofest
20190622_111931-1.jpg
Similar era to our 650's, this flat track racer is said to have come from factory with an extra road race frame and fairings and was raced at Daytona in the 70's.
*owned by Robinson HD in Wheatley, a dealership still in business, raced by the owner.

Last edited:
It's Intimidating at First Look
20190623_110140-1.jpg
But be methodical, clear your mind of any resentment about what were they thinking, give yourself a good white light source and in about an an hour you'll be almost there.
The '77 cafe; another step forward.

Back