1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by I am Carbon, Nov 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Good Bones Gets Sporty!
    Ages ago I bought a set of Sportster mufflers, realized when I got home that they had the spigots for a crossover right where the centre stand bracket was so on the shelf they went.
    Today I cut off the stub leaving a hole which can be blocked off by a 1 inch frost plug and back in business. Bought a pair of 1 3/8 to
    1 1/2 adapters and hammered the small end into the factory exhaust pipes; the Harley mufflers fit on with another spacer.
    20190913_171644-1.jpg
    Tomorrow will try to finish the installation and show a proper picture.

Attached Files:

2. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Those look nice Lakeview! JC

MaxPete, Wulfbyte, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  3. tekk220

tekk220 XS650 Member

today I picked up this 77 beauty!!... can't wait to really get my hands all over her

Attached Files:

Machine, Fawksey, tzimmerm and 10 others like this.
  4. tekk220

tekk220 XS650 Member

And just to add to my previous post

Attached Files:

5. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Congratulations on your new bike and welcome to the forum! And please allow me to be the first to say it, we love photos as you make progress on your ride! ;)

Machine, MaxPete, Wulfbyte and 5 others like this.
  6. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter

Put the café bike on the stand to do a few things before the VYR. Work scheduled includes: HD fork springs, 1" drop (currently has a 2" drop), USB port, cleanup, etc.... IMG_0698.JPG

7. fishandchips

fishandchips XS650 Enthusiast XS650.com Supporter

Welded a ground point and started wiring the m-unit.

E7D7A665-6DDD-47BB-A7F9-EDBAA90A0960.jpeg

93460BCD-FBD1-4CB2-9003-F615FA0A3EB0.jpeg

8. Started the queen, now the oe knee sent me a message stating shut it down and enjoy a cold one. Age and infirmity seems to be catching up, damn those sands of time!
    john

9. lakeview

Tek220:
    That is a great start on a nice bike.

10. lakeview

Same Side: Different Day
    Sporty mufflers installed on both sides and like the look. Just the way the stock head pipes lined up, the mufflers got just a bit of an upward cant to give it a forward look.
    Tomorrow will replace the tank brackets ground off by the p o and put the fresh sprayed metallic grey tank on. Might be a day for driveway testing!
    20190914_193018.jpg

Fawksey, MaxPete, Wulfbyte and 4 others like this.
  11. Mailman

I actually really like the look of those mufflers. You may have hit on something here. Most Harley guys take that stock exhaust off in favor of open pipes. Used Sportster mufflers are cheap as chips. You might think about taking some detailed photos and writing up a little how to. I think those could be a really nice alternative muffler! Very creative! :)

12. Ozboy

Ozboy XS650 Addict

I have a spare set of my 2013 48 Sportster and they are frickin heavy! They do look nice tho and I have contemplated fitting them but my girl is on a long slow diet!!

13. lakeview

Next One Will Look Better!

There is no need to cut off stock tank mounts to fit a 750 tank as the new mounts need to be a bit more forward and higher and clear the existing ones.
    20190915_102237.jpg
    Since PO did not grind the mount totally off, using the modifield freeze plug fix would have not given enough clearance as that adds another layer. So I took a piece of light brace angle and trimmed it to the approximate shape and fixed it on with pop rivets.
    20190915_102359.jpg

Attached Files:

14. lakeview

20190915_132756-1.jpg
    Good Bones '78 Tries on Silver Tank

The tank mounts I repaired gave a satisfying squeak as the tank slide into place. I hung the yet to be painted side covers on just for show and set on a seat to look complete.
    20190915_132830-1.jpg
    Then I took them all off to start it and hear the Sporty mufflers. They have a good deep sound, not at all harsh and they will stay in place. No drips after the run, refilled the carbs a couple times, it starts easily and charges at 14.6. A little smoke out of the left exhaust port, will tighten the exhaust pipe a bit more and see if it comes out the end or is just an oil drip burning off.
    Site does not want to take my 5 second video.

Wordman, Wulfbyte, Jim and 6 others like this.
  15. Mailman

That’s gonna be another nice looking bike.
    For videos, the only way I know to post them is by having an account on YouTube. Upload the video to YouTube and then post a link to the video.

gggGary, Wulfbyte, Jim and 2 others like this.
  16. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Holy cow Lakeview - you been a busy camper while I have been gallivanting around central North America!

That ‘78 is looking very very nice!

Pete

gggGary, Machine, Wulfbyte and 3 others like this.
  17. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Buckhorn Gang Member Top Contributor

Lakeview, mighty nice mufflers!

gggGary, Wulfbyte, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  18. lakeview

The Sportster mufflers were not difficult to install. However, I would not try it with
    bagger mufflers as their mounting points are too far back from the bikes. 20190915_111731.jpg
    The length of mounting strap needed for these would be sure to fail in service from vibration.
    The Sportster mufflers had a mounting point directly under passenger peg and a short dog leg strap works great.
    Using factory header pipes, you will need a 1 3/8 ID by 1.5 OD adapter which is inserted between the inner pipe and the outer. The 1.5 inch end needs to be thickened by a 1.5 inch I.D. pipe which slides over that and allows the HD muffler to fit right on. That last pipe can be 4 inches or so and will extend the mufflers back far enough to look good and clear the centre stand and brake pedal. Other posts go into more detail about this. I like the look and sound but would say that unless you get the HD mufflers cheap or free.......

19. lakeview

20190915_170820-1.jpg
    Dog leg strap and impromptu spacer.

gggGary, Wulfbyte, Mailman and 4 others like this.