1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by I am Carbon, Nov 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. cafetools

cafetools XS650 Addict

Utah
    Got a super steal of a good deal on this blue tool box today. Msrp is $1150, he was asking $400. I sent him a hail mary offer message of $125 and he said yes. Got lucky. Cleaned it, buffed some scratches. Nice box.

Attached Files:

gggGary, MrBultaco, tzimmerm and 7 others like this.
  2. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

VERY nice box cafetools!

Wulfbyte and Jim like this.
  3. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Ahhhh - it was DoubleE who suggested the ferry SS Badger - and it was EXACTLY the right thing to do.

Thanks DoubleE - superb suggestion and way more fun than riding through Chicago!

Pete

4. DoubleE

DoubleE XS650 Enthusiast

Ohio USA
    Glad the trip was a success.

5. vtwinsrgood

vtwinsrgood XS650 Enthusiast

location/angle... unsure. Coupe pics hoping some insight/opinions might occur :p

Attached Files:

YamadudeXS650C and Wulfbyte like this.
  6. vtwinsrgood

vtwinsrgood XS650 Enthusiast

NICE SCORE!!! :p

gggGary, tzimmerm and Wulfbyte like this.
  7. cafetools

cafetools XS650 Addict

Utah
    Thanks guys. Amazing deal and nice box indeed.

gggGary likes this.
  8. tzimmerm

tzimmerm XS650 Addict

Finally bit the bullet and bought that 75.00 JT X ring chain from mikes. I already had a set of JT sprockets I bought after buying the bike that I never used. Got the front sprocket swapped out, and then while taking off the rear wheel noticed a broken spoke. So, I ordered new SS spoke sets for the front and rear and a truing stand. Looks like I’ll be polishing and building two wheels in the next two weeks to make the DGR. Money pit. Has anyone done a write up of building a wheel? Should I bother doing one?

gggGary, Wulfbyte, Jim and 2 others like this.
  9. MaxPete

Hi Thaddeus: more knowledge is always better than less knowledge IMO.

Pete

gggGary, Wulfbyte and Jim like this.
  10. fishandchips

fishandchips XS650 Enthusiast XS650.com Supporter

Drilled a small hole in a sprocket bolt head for the magnet for the motogadget speed censor. Stuck it in with jb weld and put a pin in my rear wheel axle Pete ;)

5F180640-05FD-45F8-A3BE-9C6CA356B071.jpeg

11. MaxPete

Very nicely done F&C - quite slick indeed!

Wulfbyte, Jim and fishandchips like this.
  12. cafetools

cafetools XS650 Addict

Utah
    I would never trust low odometers on old bikes. Unless there's evidence to back it up.

gggGary likes this.
  13. MaxPete

I agree - but it is nice to dream...

gggGary and Wulfbyte like this.
  14. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

My XS2 had 5,000 original, documented miles on it when I bought it. I had all the original owners paper work.
    While getting my title processed, someone entered the mileage off by one mile. At that point my original mileage was thrown out the window and my title now says “ mileage unknown”. !!! :mad: Damn bureaucrats !

15. took a bunch of closeup photos for a potential international buyer. If it sells, I'm really going to miss the XS1.
    john

TwoManyXS1Bs, MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  16. Ratranger

Ratranger XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Low milage can be completely believable, but it only matters if the bike was cared for. I can find plenty of bikes with under 10k on them, but most of them got left in a damp shed or outside for years after something small broke.

My XS had 12k indicated, but needed everything from neglect. The tiger 800 I recently bought has over 100k, and with a good cleaning doesn't look it.

17. tzimmerm

tzimmerm XS650 Addict

6F5B622F-6A3B-4BC6-A630-D9DFA698D76E.jpeg Alright, quick question- I am currently disassembling my rear wheel and the old nipples have little washers on them. The new ones do not. Do I need these on the new nipple or are they obsolete? They are seized on some of the old nipples. Here is a oic of a new nipple, and one old with washer and another old without washer.

Wulfbyte and Jim like this.
  18. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I like the idea but haven't seen them on/with new spokes. Shrug.

MaxPete, Wulfbyte and Jim like this.
  19. Jim

Jim I have a plan. It's something to deviate from. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I think they were used mostly to reduce friction when tightening. My opinion.... just use a little grease during assembly and don't worry about using 'em.

MaxPete, Moabite, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  20. DoubleE

DoubleE XS650 Enthusiast

Ohio USA
    Jeez Gary, you're starting to shrug. Before you know it, you will own red suspenders.

GLJ, MrBultaco, MaxPete and 5 others like this.