What have you done to your XS today?

( Got side tracked) Ok, no guts no air medals. I got out the tank to replace the one some )(&)$@(&% dropped in the trailer and creased but good. It had been painted and prepped, ready for the decal application, and waiting, and waiting. In for a dime...and I won't go thru all the terrible steps and the 32 new words I added to my emergency vocabulary. And hey, no one will ever see the mess at 60 mph! I have it warming a bit by the box wood stove. I turn it ever so often. Maybe the warmth will help dry the moisture out from under the decals. (Sticking the bubbles with a pin and using a hair dryer don't work) I'll give them some time then it's the SprayMax 2K!
Thu
Sitting by a wood burner. Roasting a tank, sipping whisky. Sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday night.:cheers:

tank.jpg
GLJ, howd you know I had a whiskey? :cheers:
Oh, I know how you knew. I forgot to post a pix of the tank!

Last edited:
Don't know about your corner of Texas but it was 27 this morning and 63 this afternoon here. Hoping to paint Monday or Tuesday if the humidity stays down

Yep, TJ. Monday looks like a good day. Dry and about 70. May be a while till we get another chance. Gona try and ride a bit too.

Took my XS2 out for a little spin this morning just to give it a good warm up, then came home and drained the oil, pulled the sump plate and side filter for inspection. Here’s my sump filter , just as it came out of the motor.

B42449BE-06F7-4378-B37F-83437DC97436.jpeg

FA36CC95-24E1-4DF3-8737-BC92E1E34480.jpeg

Clean as a whistle! No debri or metal stuck to the magnets. The side filter had just the normal looking metallic bits.
I simply wiped them clean and popped them back in. Filled er up with fresh oil and done !

Then I adjusted the drive chain slack and synced the dual throttle cables AGAIN, for like the third time. And finally a little shining things up and some Blue Magic on the engine cases, just because.

All in all a good day in the Mailman’s Garage! :cool:

Was Wanting to put the swingarm back on but encountered half (more) the exhaust system mounting bolts were not there or incorrect. So I removed the dry side stand, brake pivot, and exhaust system to re do it. Took awhile more than the time I set aside but it's all good, No hurries no wurries

20191117_192820.jpg

What's really cool is that my iPhone with the broken camera lens is gone and back to a new Samsung so pics here on should be way more fun for everybody
:cool:
-RT

Attachments

• 20191117_192945.jpg
    20191117_192945.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20191117_192859.jpg
    20191117_192859.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 91
Looking great Randy! I love how neat and orderly your work space is, you’re working in a relatively small space aren’t you? But I can see how you could see where anything is at a glance. Something I’ve been wondering, you’ve bought and sold so many now, do you have one that’s your daily rider? Is it the ‘78 you’re putting the green tins on?

Having fun on that 78E still. Now it has nice chrome footpegs robbed from this 79. The green tank deal got complicated with other folks and in the mean time the seller has had several brain surgeries, search continues. As for my condo garage space ? Lol, I just put the next XS project in there not choosing the time ? So it's Cramped ! Parts on top of parts ..
:laughing:
I'll get them both XS's sorted out

Attachments

• 20191117_181236.jpg
    20191117_181236.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 20191117_181307.jpg
    20191117_181307.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 176
Machine, in the pic of your advance unit, I'm not seeing the raised lip around the I.D. of the notched ring that holds the advance unit on? It must face out for the ring to tighten down properly, as you can see in this pic .....

EOzB3RW.jpg

Hey, on a full size computer your pic is still way more clear than this new phone pic lol..
And , I will definitely look closely at this after work. This engine seems to be an untouched low mileage virgin but, you never really know. Maybe it was serviced incorrectly ? Many other things sure were
Thanks, -R

Machine, in the pic of your advance unit, I'm not seeing the raised lip around the I.D. of the notched ring that holds the advance unit on?
Yes, looking here this am I see that plate in there looks oriented wrong or something? I tried to quickly pop the circlips off and remembered how they either break or fly away. Not much lighting here so off to work.
Here's a better pic of mine.

Attachments

• 20191118_190252.jpg
    20191118_190252.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 20191118_190227.jpg
    20191118_190227.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
What did I do? I discovered the slide on my single VM 38 Mukini carb isn't fully opening when the throttle is turned wide open. Now I'm studying on the best way to resolve the issue.

Something in the back of my mind says that opening the slide more should resolve some of the lean/rich issues I've been having.

Back