What have you done to your XS today?

ok ok I know this is what did i do to my XS today, and im going to do some BS 38s tomarow or the next day, buuuuttttt...for now the photos of the carbs I did do today , these are carbs off a honda magna 750c ...its interesting two carbs are downdrafts and two carbs are side drafts, they have different needles and needle valves, mix those parts up and I bet you never get the thing runnin right for the two diferent functioning carbs, they also have diferent leghth spings for the diapham on top

but anyways heres what they looked like after sitting on a bike outdoors on mt hood (WET here ALL the time) crusty crusy yucky nasty poo .poo!
IMG_20191109_164016.jpg

heres what they looked like after a 20 minute spa treatment in the sonic cleaner
IMG_20191109_164016.jpg
IMG_20191113_155404.jpg
again this is before
IMG_20191109_164016.jpg

and I didn't get a photo of the insides of the bowls but the varnish and crust was worse in there than around the butterfies
heres some more shots after the spa, she looks rested and ready to rock
IMG_20191113_145118.jpg

notice even the spring and linkage looks new, and they where crusty too
IMG_20191113_181546.jpg
IMG_20191113_181546.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191109_163735.jpg
    IMG_20191109_163735.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 170
Dragged it home
20191121_221325.jpg

No title, kicks over with scant compression. That about what I know so far. Won't come out of the van til morning. Was kinda hemming an hawing til noticed............ then shut up and paid the man. He also had an 80 CB750F kinda buried in garage but looked interesting.

I drug home a bed full of stuff today too, Ill post some photos tomarrow, but I got a dished penut tank , a factory tank a set of bs38 (78 79) two frames , an xs1 motor (complete) and 81 special motor(complete) a set of BEAUTIFULL forks complete and I mean complete with fork brace,trees,ignition switch with keys, soft rubber boots and polished legs,brake line and splitter, and all the little clips and clams, some chopper bars , 14 fork legs o box of triple trees and carb parts, two crome fenders, and on and on an onn, I feel bad when guys give up there xs building ideas,:rolleyes: but love it when I come home with the lot :hump:

The bike has 110/90-18 rear tire now.
I want a little bigger, I know 120 will be a little wider compared to 110.
to get a little bigger diameter would I go 120-95-18 Or a 120-100-18?
And would a 120-100-18 fit on this bike. with the current tire there is plenty of room back there. I'm just a little unsure, I just want to a little bigger the rear looks a little to small on it now and its time to replace it
I want it to fill out the rear more like my Harley.
I've been experimenting with tire sizes on my stock 72. I've only used Avons so far because they are one of the few manufacturers that make the 4.00x18 and the 3.25x19. It was the Avon Road Rider only. Both of those sizes were my 1st choice when I put her back on the road in 2014. I believe only Dunlop makes the original sizes also.
Presently, I installed an Avon Road Rider 120/90-18. It is the widest and tallest tire I've ever used. I've got about a 1/4" on both sides. The earlier swingarms like mine are shorter and thinner. I actually did grind away some of the inner weld bumps when I had it apart for the bushing change. Golden Boy has the same tire on a 71 and he's got about an 1/8" on each side.
The tallness has changed the overall gearing for the better. And, yes, even within the same manufacturer, the sizes vary. Dennis Kirk sometimes displays the mounted tire height and width. Most helpful.
Oh, and I don't think that anyone makes a 120/100-18 or 120/95-18. Good luck!

I've been experimenting with tire sizes on my stock 72. I've only used Avons so far because they are one of the few manufacturers that make the 4.00x18 and the 3.25x19. It was the Avon Road Rider only. Both of those sizes were my 1st choice when I put her back on the road in 2014. I believe only Dunlop makes the original sizes also.
Presently, I installed an Avon Road Rider 120/90-18. It is the widest and tallest tire I've ever used. I've got about a 1/4" on both sides. The earlier swingarms like mine are shorter and thinner. I actually did grind away some of the inner weld bumps when I had it apart for the bushing change. Golden Boy has the same tire on a 71 and he's got about an 1/8" on each side.
The tallness has changed the overall gearing for the better. And, yes, even within the same manufacturer, the sizes vary. Dennis Kirk sometimes displays the mounted tire height and width. Most helpful.
Oh, and I don't think that anyone makes a 120/100-18 or 120/95-18. Good luck!

I went with a 120-90-18 on the rear. Fits fine. Once I get a new front tire ill see how it moves along and change the rear sproket if I want lower rpm at crusing speeds.

20191127_152855-1.jpg
Ten Minutes of Windex and Mothers

And still no genie. But Good Bones '78 may get a change of colour scheme with this nice original '78 XS750 tank.

Going to see my painter tomorrow to get a quote for the TX650 tins, so I will take this tank along also to see if he can do a second colour match and paint the side covers, headlight ears and bucket to match. PO had already cut off stock 78 tank mounts and trimmed down a seat pan so maybe that's the way to go.
Should be a quantity discount, eh? lol

Got some new parts today. A new 7075 Aluminum clutch rod from TwoManyXS1Bs, a throttle cable from Barnett made to fit my single VM38, and one of these http://thunderproducts.com/product/u-f-o-ultimate-flow-optimizer/ along with a collection of new jets.

Now if I can just get away from the family long enough to work on the bike. Reminds me of a poem I wrote years ago:

Snow

Snow is like far-away relatives
who visit but every few years--
when they get here, we’re happy to see them.
‘For they leave us we’re in tears.
We cannot wait for them to come--
can’t wait for them to go--
but they’ll be back too soon
just like the fallen snow.

Moose season is now definitely over, here at almost 70 degrees North, and the boat hauled out and sitting on the trailer, so finally I had some time to messwith my XS tonight.

Not much done tonight, I just removed the battery box. Which also involved removing the rear wheel and the forward rear fender section. When I had it removed, I couldn't resist weighing it. 2.60 kg or close to 5 lbs 12 oz including starter relay, regulator and safety relay. Pretty sure a new box from aluminum plate will weigh a lot less, maybe 1.5 kg or around 3 lbs, which always is a good thing in my book. I still would need to keep the starter relay and the Powerdynamo Reg/Rect weighs 100-200 g.

The plan is to make a new, much shallower and lighter battery box for a smaller LiPoFe battery, replace the stock alternator setup with a Powerdynamo PMA, and rewire the bike using a MotoGadget MO unit to simplify things.

All this because I want to play with long-ish velocity stacks between the K&N filters and my RS 34 flatslide carbs. Partly looking for improved torque/power, and partly in order to be able to use (slightly modified) side covers with this combination of carbs, intake rubbers and individual pod filters. Pics will follow as things progress in January, as I am soon leaving for a 5 week oil field stint somewhere in West Africa.

Last edited:
I’m still waiting for Roland to go through my carbs. I bought them from a guy in Texas. Supposedly doing vintage carbs for years. The left side was seeping pretty good at the top of the float bowl. No dumping from the overflow.
7098E305-ACDB-4328-B231-9F8580DD0CEF.jpeg
I checked the bowl screws. Good. Checked the float level while the carb was upside down. Good. At that point I took them both in last Monday. Rolands been racing in GA since last Wednesday. Actually won their 20 championship on Monday. 264 MPH at a 5.65 But I did order a new reg and a new rec for the XS2.

Back