What have you done to your XS today?

:laughing:
Well, you're only lookin' at about two and a half amps of smoke. Should dissipate after the second or third sweep of the radar. :rolleyes:

Try running a vacuum line to the bottom of a quart of automatic transmission fluid like we did on our hotrods when we were teenagers. That should get you noticed.

Today I made a muffler I can tune.

Not much to it really, mostly a pipe stuffed full of smaller pipes. To add restriction you only need to fill it with smaller pipes and to reduce restriction you fill it with larger pipes. More pipes with smaller diameters increases the friction against the exhaust gases as they pass through the muffler, fewer pipes with larger diameters reduces the restriction.

I made it from automotive exhaust pipe and reducers along with various sizes of steel tubing I've got laying around the shop and welded it together except for the slip in pipes and the end cap (reducer) that is held on with a couple of self-tapping sheet metal screws. And there's a wire grid welded in each end to keep the pipes from sliding out.

It's not pretty but if it does allow me a tuneable exhaust then perhaps I can pretty it up later. Or have a real welder weld one up for me as my welding is horrid.

Reminds me of variation of the 80's or 90's muffler that used a disc stack at the end of the silencer. More discs more power. Less discs more back pressure less noise.Wasn't it called Speedtrapps?

Last edited:
Had some success today! Made the last connections and topped off the oil and pulled the plugs and disconnected the coil. Using the starter motor, spun the engine over to move the oil around as a pre-start. Moved the bike to the street incase there was a smoke cloud on start-up. There wasn't much smoke at start-up. Kept the RPM's unstedy and upped the idle. I shut it down when what I think is the valves started clattering too much for my liking. Readjust in the A.M. and maybe ride to Carl's Jr.

Wasn't it called Speedtrapps?

Supertrapp! I had one on my old XT500 back in my hayday.
B8694ED7-BA55-44AE-A326-2D3970FEC6B7.jpeg 60D96E15-80A3-4CE6-B712-E0B37B83C93F.jpeg

Reminds me of variation of the 80's or 90's muffler that used a disc stack at the end of the silencer. More discs more power. Less discs more back pressure less noise.Wasn't it called Speedtrapps?

I considered building something like a SuperTrap but this is actually easier to build. It really is just smaller pipes pushed lengthwise into a larger pipe.

But then I've other options as well. I can put pipes inside of pipes inside of pipes. I can perforate the internal pipes. I can plug some of the pipes. I can wrap part or all of the pipes in fiberglass like glasspack mufflers. Right now my pipes are lose inside (and yes they rattle a bit) but I can also weld together bundles of pipes that slide in and out. I can experiment with the length of the internal pipes. All those things will change the performance and sound of the muffler.

My apologies to those asking for photos. My old camera died and My Social Security check forces me to chose between motorcycle stuff and other things. I lean towards motorcycle stuff and this insane dream of riding my XS from North Carolina to the Bonneville Salt Flats before attempting to break some record I have no chance at breaking.

A local fellow here rode his H-D ou o Bonneville and back and made a pass down he sal ! No real fas ,abou 118 mph if I recall correc l . Pardon spelling bu m and ke s qui working............

I think I can top 118 mph (currently running 16-32 gears but can pull taller) but then that's why we go to Bonneville so that we can get an official timing slip that no one can deny.

Currently a long 2-1 intake with Mukini VM 38 carb, Mac 2-1 headers.
And otherwise stock pistons, cam, etc? Then 118 real mph would be impressive IMHO.
My 680 kitted Ducati 600 with fcr39s, open mufflers, etc would run 112 mph as measured by GPS. No more. This bike dynoed at 53 rwhp before adding the 680 kit and the FCRs. So should be somewhere between 55 and 60 rwhp, at best.

Last edited:
And otherwise stock pistons, cam, etc? Then 118 real mph would be impressive IMHO.
My 680 kitted Ducati 600 with fcr39s, open mufflers, etc would run 112 mph as measured by GPS. No more. This bike dynoed at 53 rwhp before adding the 680 kit and the FCRs. So should be somewhere between 55 and 60 rwhp, at best.

Never said I planned to leave it that way.

Don't know what mods they might have done but this one ran 113 on ethanol. And Ethanol is a lousy fuel as even the builders never expected it to run that fast: https://www.thedrive.com/motorcycle...orcycle-just-set-a-speed-record-at-bonneville

There are a large number of these CL/CB-350 Hondas on CraigsList now...most think they are as sought after as our XS650s.:umm:

There are a large number of these CL/CB-350 Hondas on CraigsList now...most think they are as sought after as our XS650s.:umm:

I must agree. A lot of high prices for the CB and cl 350s and 360s.but the xs650 is better is almost everyway. It's got a longer wheelbase and actually looks like it fits a grown man unlikke the 350s

They were tough little bikes! When I was in high school, my best friend rode his CL350 from Phoenix to Boseman Montana, where he worked on a ranch over the summer, then turned around and rode it back home. Then rode it for several more years. And we weren’t exactly good about doing maintenance on our bikes back when we were sixteen. :laugh2:

Back