What have you done to your XS today?

Yesterday I bought a partially started project with a parts bike and an engine. I'm new to the site and to bike building but I love the look and sound of the XS650 and i'm hoping to be able to pull off a chopper/bobber build. I'm very excited to look through the forum.View attachment 155841 View attachment 155842 View attachment 155843

Welcome CC! We look forward to seeing what you do! Lots of good resources here! :)
I would suggest starting a build thread in the garage section, where you can post updates and photos , and ask questions.
-Bob

Fork oil and polishing today.

Attachments

• IMG_20191213_144535.jpg
    IMG_20191213_144535.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20191213_145803.jpg
    IMG_20191213_145803.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20191213_162048.jpg
    IMG_20191213_162048.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 196
OMgosh.. I am trying to get the engine build parts in order to start.. the woman left me because the house has no plumbing but the bikes do lol.. but serious im gonna need this to keep from going south inside. I will atleast begin the pictures of all the parts within a week ...or two.. Ive actually had this insane idea of building a supercharged xs, probly not gonna happen but these little guys are so dam cute 150.00 all day long free shipping. called an AMR 500 supercharge. I assume its 500 cc inside. they list anything from .8 to 2.0 liter engines.
s-l400.jpg

Be very interested in watching the build if you do this, the amr500 is what they use on the Subaru cars

So this connector came off when I removed my Vetter Quicksilver (shoulda been a tad more careful)

Is this needed to attach a factory style headlight? This wiring is giving me a headache just looking at it. This is on my 78’ View attachment 155797

In regards to this wiring nightmare i am having, are all of these butt connectors factory? Or is this some hackjob my grandpa did years ago?

I hate electrical issues because I dont know a damn thing about it. Diagrams look like french to me.

Raining in NB this morning and temps going up to 9 dec C so a little garage time. Got NOS Yamaha fork rubber caps. The XS 650 direct lasted not long at all. Got to install a chain guard cause my fabbed one kept breaking at the welds and got tired of asking someone to weld up. Had to cut a slot in it to clear the rear fender strut. No more grease flying all over! I likethe look of it too sorta goes with the painted/chrome/scotchbrite parts I have on. Waiting for a Boyer ignition to come in the mail I scored on the classifieds.
CEF0EF2B-A4DF-41A1-8DE8-2C9698AB02FC.jpeg
9BBD6D78-3F2B-42FC-958C-D3CEBA8F653E.jpeg
D34F586F-3FCA-470B-9856-38E52BE51C51.jpeg

Looks great Superjet! Are those signal lights bright? I've been pondering over a Chinese set on ebay.

Hi Marlin. Yes they are real bright. The bulb is a dual filament if you want to run with it as a running light. I also was looking for signals that had a seperate ground wire and not using the casing as a ground. I soldered and used heat shrink on the joints and have not had any issues in the 2 years since running them. They blend in good with my setup. I think they were $25 with shipping.

I’m still waiting on my carbs to finish this thing up. They were weeping at the bowl gasket. My OEM bowl gaskets we’re NOT OEM. Roland told me they were plastic. He fixed the issue. He said something about when the float went up into the carb body there wasn’t enough clearance. So he fixed it with a die grinder.:yikes: But 2 days later still no weeping. Even with the plastic gaskets. I’ve got genuine OEM gaskets from speedandsport on the way. BTW I’m digging my new lift. If anyone is wondering “ Do I really need one?” Do it. The best thing since sliced bread.
9E523003-E9DA-4F92-A9EB-73CFB72AA77A.jpeg

very nice shop, I love a clean wel lit work space, a mans work is usualy only as clean as his work enviorment,
Ive knowticed things seem to have really slowed down here on the site, Winter? holidays?

Ive knowticed things seem to have really slowed down here on the site, Winter? holidays?

Probably both. Even in parts of the country that are usually warm, it seems weather patterns are changing. We keep getting big storm systems sweeping all across the country and extending even to the southern states.

Back