What have you done to your XS today?

Today, I had a bit of spare time, so I thought I'd take a look at the XS2 master cylinder.

And then, I wished I hadn't.:doh:

Looks like I'll be getting this one re sleeved....:poo:.
View attachment 156666
View attachment 156667
Yup, yours is a lot worse than mine. After 25 years, although mine was kept in a warm basement, the brake fluid was like old Jello. All parts were good after thorough cleaning, but I replaced the internal rubber in the master. Good luck!

I went from Triumph Bonneville rear shocks to the el cheapo eBay variety. I thought the Bonneville shocks were a little stiff. Anyway, I liked the looks of the reservoir shocks and the price was certainly right. I can't say they are an overall improvement over the Bonneville shocks but so far, they are not a downgrade.
View attachment 156725
Yes, the el cheapos were just OK on smooth roads until I checked the pressure. Truthfully, though, when you check the pressure you lose more than half the gas. So I got directions online and it said the pressure has a max of 70#'s. After I put 70#'s in them, they were at least twice as good. No more teeth rattling and neck cracking when you hit those unexpected road humps. Oh, and the 1st time I checked the pressure, the schraders came out with the caps. I like them now. Mine have that anodized gold on the reservoirs. Did you paint yours?
Your bike looks great by the way!

Attachments

• 20190625_221155.jpg
    20190625_221155.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 197
Finally back on track after 4 years if nothing. Today I researched some part sources. The brake parts will come today, I hope. Rebuilding the caliper, I hate moving a big bike with no front brake. Last week I cleaned the bike, getting ready to sell it. After I saw it clean and shiny I decided not to sell it.

So it's a Relatively warm here in Ohio today, started her up and noticed that A) the left hand cylinder didn't seem to be warming up as quickly as the left and B) I notice this thing *smoking?* After I let it warm up and rode it around the block. It doesn't smell like anything's burning. But would anyone have any starting points to look into?

Video of issue:

Nobody I know has one of those things. We'd get about 3 days riding every 10 years if we did.

Northern and Northwest New Brunswick where I grew up gets plenty of snow. I still have family up there and my wifes family are from up there too. Winter usually starts early December and riding can be had in certain areas until Easter or sometimes later. Even in Southern NB where I am located now gets a fair amount of snow in the Caledonia mountain area due to higher elevations. Last year riding was still happening at early April but needed to trailer up. Gonna be a fun time once we get all geared up! JC

I've had the '83 Heritage Special in the warm winter workroom for the past week.

Got this pulsing in the front brake at very low speeds. ggGary's thread from 2010 was helpful in sorting it out:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/front-disk-brake-runout-heritage-special.1819/
I found that the runout in the disc was well over spec, and it was heavily grooved from a crumbling brake pad. The mating surface was running true.
I remembered that I had salvaged a rotor from the '78 I bought a few years ago for $100, and dug it out. Thankfully, it is in superb condition; minimal runout and wear.
Got new pads and checked the caliper in regards to the piston moving freely: AOK.

Next, replaced the clutch cable and surfaced the worm gear contact area on the side cover to remove that nasty casting ridge.
Replaced the pushrod bushing which was quite worn.

Replaced the chain with a new HT item, and bought new sprockets, dropping two teeth on 5T's suggestion. 17/32

Pulled the carbs and cleaned them, installing 135 mains (again, on 5T's recommendation), replacing the stock 132.5's. Drilled out the brass plugs hiding the idle mixture screws and adjusted them to 3 turns.

Following a cam chain and tappet adjustment, there was nothing left to do than to take it for a spin!

It was my unusually good fortune that it rained heavily friday night, clearing the streets of road salt, and when I woke up saturday morning it was 62 degrees at 8am! A freak warm spell for Syracuse NY. By 3 pm the streets had dried pretty well, so out it came.

83.jpg

The brakes feel great, the performance is excellent, idles good, although I need to do a bit more work on the clutch.

Back in the winter workshop, I slapped into the AIWA a favorite old cassette recording of Bob Marley live.

cassette.jpg

...and pulled in the next winter project, the '73 DT3 250.
Couldn't be happier :)

DT3.jpg

Last edited:
ive been gone for about a week or longer, trying to pull my ass outa my head,, wait no ok sure whatever, anyways I painted a tank with rattle can then clear coated it with real clear from a gun, and also adapted a Harley stainless spoke black anodized hub and powdercoated rim to the front of the new build.

Back